collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+  (Read 619818 times)

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Report Washington Wolf Sightings Here - Estimated Count now at 92
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »
Does not matter if they are hybrids they are still dangerous and more so to people ....

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 07:04:25 AM »
Found members most likely of the Lookout pack this winter (roughly March) in the Alta unit near the Golden Doe wildlife refuge. We had a friend hiking with us with a jack russel terrier and the wolf started howling in the fog. The fog cleared and about 200 yards away up on the ridgeline was a single wolf. We took pictures and video through the spotting scope.

Amazing pics hirshey, thank you for sharing!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 07:23:42 AM »
Plus there has been sightings on Washington Pass So how many more have not been discovered !!!!

My buddy has seen 2 there, 2 years ago. It was just west of the pass.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline workstohunt

• Scout
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »
GMU 516 Goat Rocks Wilderness---Goat Ridge close to Goat lake
November 10, 2010
I saw 1 wolf at 30 yrds dark grey in color but there were 2 sets of tracks all over chasing elk. I have a pic of the carcass they were eating on when I jumped them. The one I saw appeared to be a female. The tracks were not as big as I expected but were larger than coyote.

Offline turkey buster

• Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »
I saw 1 last October, area 204 about 2 1/2 miles up FS-30 rd, OUT OF AENEAS Valley
God didn't put man at the top of the food chain to become vegetarians
DONT BLAME ME I VOTED FOR SARAH

Offline croix

• Sourdough
  • 2005 Blacktail
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
6 years ago in unit 111 i saw a big white one just east of smackout pass on the Ione side.
Live your life in such a way that if someone were to speak poorly of you, nobody would believe them.

Browning A-Bolt II, 30-06
Hoyt Alphamax 32, 70/28

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
My opinion on hybrids.... to be adressed in a message to the commission.

WDFW appears to be dismissing sightings of supposed wolf hybrids in Washington as less important than wolves and failing to take action on these sightings. WDFW should be more concerned about hybrids than wolves, the issue of hybrids is even more critical than the issue of wolves in Washington. Hybrids need to be confirmed as either being hybrids or as wild wolves and control efforts must be implemented as soon as possible for many reasons.

1.  Hybrids are likely to inbreed and polute the genetic integrity of wild gray wolves.
2.  Hybrids must eat and are more likely to be poor hunters, frequenting human inhabited areas for food endangering pets, livestock, and humans.
3.  Many of these hybrids may be wild gray wolves resulting in a much higher gray wolf population in Washington.
4.  Hybrids threaten the integrity of wolf recovery in its entirety.
5.  Hybrids for all these reasons should be a priority control effort.
6.  Management of Hybrids for all these reasons should be a priority item in the Washington Wolf Plan.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 09:08:17 AM »

WDFW appears to be dismissing sightings of supposed wolf hybrids in Washington as less important than wolves and failing to take action on these sightings. WDFW should be more concerned about hybrids than wolves, the issue of hybrids is even more critical than the issue of wolves in Washington. Hybrids need to be confirmed as either being hybrids or as wild wolves and control efforts must be implemented as soon as possible for many reasons.

1.  Hybrids are likely to inbreed and polute the genetic integrity of wild gray wolves.
2.  Hybrids must eat and are more likely to be poor hunters, frequenting human inhabited areas for food endangering pets, livestock, and humans.
3.  Many of these hybrids may be wild gray wolves resulting in a much higher gray wolf population in Washington.
6.  Management of Hybrids for all these reasons should be a priority item in the Washington Wolf Plan.
:yeah:
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your participation, we are collecting some good information here that is attracting attention, please remember to indicate:

1.  Approximate Date
2.  What you saw
3.  How many wolves   (minimum and maximum)
4.  Which GMU
5.  Local area of your sighting
6.  Attach pictures of tracks, scat, or of wolves whenever possible

Thanks Again, Dale    :hello:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
Yesterday.  Cook's Mountain in GMU 113 (a bit south of Cee-Cee-Ah).  Didn't see wolves, but while hiking came across a full grown cow moose that had met a very untimely and very violent death.  Ripped apart and torn to pieces.  Again, didn't see any wolves but thought it would be worth mentioning in this thread

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
Wow, I was just starting to consider moving back to WA... thanks for reminding me what the libs really want to accomplish up there  :hello:

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
Re: Report Washington Wolf Sightings Here - Estimated Count now at 92+
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »
Man, just decided to peek in the wolf forum to see how bad the rhetoric had gotten since you moved it all from the general area.  Good to see that it has calmed down and become a bit more sensible instead of bash-based. 

I have one report from this spring bear hunting in Lick Creek GMU 175 but no photo to back it up.  I didn't think about the need to document it at the time because I had just accepted that there were wolves in the Blues, but maybe that's still necessary; I'll do better for you next time; I suppose I'm jaded to wolves after seeing the devastation in Idaho first-hand.

I followed a single very fresh wolf track in the snow on approx. May 20, 2011.  It walked down Donaldson Gulch (4206 Road) for about a mile and continued down Charlie Creek past where the road has been torn out by the state.  It stayed in the bottom of the creek on the torn out road bed for about a mile, but I lost its tracks when it got to where the snow had melted.  The track was approximately 4.5" long at the pad without counting the nails.  The animal was at a trot the entire way.

I slept out in the woods about 7 nights in the area over spring bear season but never heard a wolf howl.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »

If they are hybrids in the biologist's opinion... is it an unmanaged game species (seeing as it is not a grey wolf) and can they then be hunted?
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »

If they are hybrids in the biologist's opinion... is it an unmanaged game species (seeing as it is not a grey wolf) and can they then be hunted?

they would be the same as feral or free roaming dogs so fall under that category, which is not a game species, but can be considered a threat in rural areas the normal protocol is to shoot them if they are harassing livestock or wildlife on your property dumped dogs are always a huge problem in the woods hybrids are no different since most would have originally been dumped by people ill equipped to own exotic/wild animals.

as for sightings I heard what I believe was 2 distinct wolves howling...this was back in 1997-1998 when I spoke with a person I knew at the forest service office they said off the record yes I probably did hear wolves as they were sighted in the area I was in.  Since I still dont know gmu's without several maps and the regs in front of me I was in the Salmon la Sac area hiking....this is outside Cle Elum roughly

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
Re: Report Washington Wolf Sightings Here - Estimated Count now at 92+
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2011, 11:39:24 AM »
One more that was not first hand but intrigued me, my guess is it was wolf hybrids either dumped or running loose.
The capitol forest across from the Chehalis reservation 2 years ago, I ran into a couple who were out riding quads I was out bear hunting and we got to chatting.  They were telling me about a spot they had seen a bear while riding and for whatever reason the topic turned to wolves, the gal raised siberian huskies so knows the difference and they had no reason to make up some story as far as I could tell.  She said she saw a light grey and a black what she believed were wolves and they approached them trying to get close enough to see for certain, the canines caught wind of them and took off, she said she went down to where they saw the canines and there were tracks .... being a rural area near a urban area its really unlikely these were wild wolves but the possibility is there that hybrids are in these areas... something some people neglect to think about.

Washington banned the ownership of purebred wolves, when they were really trendy, all those wolves were not removed the breeders simply advertised them as hybrids...there were breeders of these dogs in much of the Cascade foothills, darrington area had a breeder, I believe eatonville had a breeder there were a couple more I recall that pre ban were selling purebred timber wolves as pets and post ban they were selling "hybrid" timber wolves  :dunno: just something to think about.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal