collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: #11 Mag caps not firing  (Read 27782 times)

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: #11 Mag caps not firing
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 09:58:19 AM »
Thanks for all the great info guys.  After reading all of these posts I would have to agree that it is probably a case where the nipple and firing pin are just a fraction too far apart and the cap is not hitting the edge of the nipple with enough force to ignite it.  When I get the time I will try what Sabotloader suggested and try backing the breech plug out and see if I can get regular ignition that way.  I may have to look into getting a different nipple like wadu1.

Offline IMAREDNECK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 09:32:36 PM »
I'm not familiar with the CVA bighorn. If it's a sidelock like my CVA Colorado Musket Mag then the nipple allignment is critical. If my nipple isn't perfectly alligned with the hammer I get misfires also. It was the same with #11's and musket caps. Mine has to hit perfectly flush in order to fire. Now I shoot a T/C Black Diamond X/R and don't have that issue.
If it's made outta meat, I can make it into jerky

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 06:39:46 AM »
I'm not familiar with the CVA bighorn. If it's a sidelock like my CVA Colorado Musket Mag then the nipple allignment is critical. If my nipple isn't perfectly alligned with the hammer I get misfires also. It was the same with #11's and musket caps. Mine has to hit perfectly flush in order to fire. Now I shoot a T/C Black Diamond X/R and don't have that issue.

The Big Horn is a Knight not a CVA...

http://www.knightrifles.com/muzzleloader-bighorn/
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 06:59:07 AM »
I assume your using pellets in that Elkhorn if you are then as noted before get the Musket nipple from  CVA (cheap)  and RWS Musket caps and you wont have a misfire again
The Gentleman at the Puyallup Muzzleloading supply  told me CCI reduced the charge recently on the #11 s because they are also used in Civil war reinactments and the only people still using them are the Pacific NW States everyone else using 209's
Hope that Helps   I learned the hard way   

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »
I assume your using pellets in that Elkhorn if you are then as noted before get the Musket nipple from  CVA (cheap)  and RWS Musket caps and you wont have a misfire again
The Gentleman at the Puyallup Muzzleloading supply  told me CCI reduced the charge recently on the #11 s because they are also used in Civil war reinactments and the only people still using them are the Pacific NW States everyone else using 209's

I'm using Triple 7 ffg and CCI #11 mag caps.  I've had absolutley no problems with getting the powder to ignite once the cap does.  My problem lies with getting the caps to pop. 

I'm thinking about getting a few different nipples to try and see if maybe a little diffent nipple would help. 

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »

I do not think think this is intirely true.  There are 2 commonly used #11 caps.  The regular #11 which is the reduced charge and the #11 Mag cap which produces the same temerature heat and chage as does the Musket cap.  An even hotter cap is the RWS 1075+.

Offline LiveandLearn

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 07:16:18 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »

I'm using Triple 7 ffg and CCI #11 mag caps.  I've had absolutley no problems with getting the powder to ignite once the cap does.  My problem lies with getting the caps to pop. 

I'm thinking about getting a few different nipples to try and see if maybe a little diffent nipple would help. 

This thread might hold an answer to the nipple search..

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=83394.msg1038079#msg1038079

[/quote]

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »
Sabotloader - I read that thread of yours and thought that might be a solution to my problems too.  But I couldn't find any AMPCO nipples with a 6mm x1 metric thread to fit my Elkhorn.  I found on Midway USA a CVA nipple they call the 'Perfect' nipple I thought that might be worth a try.  Hopefully I will be able to do some testing sometime this weekend and find out if it is indeed a clearance issue.  Does anyone know if it is illegal to discharge caps alone in a muzzleloader in the city limits?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
Sabotloader - I read that thread of yours and thought that might be a solution to my problems too.  But I couldn't find any AMPCO nipples with a 6mm x1 metric thread to fit my Elkhorn.  I found on Midway USA a CVA nipple they call the 'Perfect' nipple I thought that might be worth a try.  Hopefully I will be able to do some testing sometime this weekend and find out if it is indeed a clearance issue.  Does anyone know if it is illegal to discharge caps alone in a muzzleloader in the city limits?

Shoot! you are right! - I forgot about the size thing...  That is exactly what I had to do - try several different nips till I found the one that worked best for me...

Good luck

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
Put a looser fitting nipple on your gun then pinch the cap a little and it will stay on.  I've been doing this for 40 years.  It works fine.  Nipples are tapered and some are too tight, the cap goes on but it hits the wide spot before it gets all the way down to detonate.  You need a looser one.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:59 PM »
It is a common cva problem.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »
I agree that the caps being too tight on the nipple seems to be at least part of the problem.  has anyone ever tried removing a little bit of material from a nipple to get a little looser fit?  I was thinking that putting the nipple in a drill and using some 400 or 600 grit wet sand paper might work to get the caps to fit a little looser.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »
I agree that the caps being too tight on the nipple seems to be at least part of the problem.  has anyone ever tried removing a little bit of material from a nipple to get a little looser fit?  I was thinking that putting the nipple in a drill and using some 400 or 600 grit wet sand paper might work to get the caps to fit a little looser.

I go out of the way to get a tight fitting cap on the nipple, especially in the weather I hunt in... + the last thing I want to worry about is the cap working loose on the post and possibly falling off or getting lopsided on the post.  But if your hammer/firing pin does not have the force to drive it forward then you really might have a problem.  Again I have never looked at a CVA Elkhorn, but if there is not enough spring force to make it work, I am wondering if you can change the spring to a heavier spring?

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 06:27:10 AM »

I go out of the way to get a tight fitting cap on the nipple, especially in the weather I hunt in... + the last thing I want to worry about is the cap working loose on the post and possibly falling off or getting lopsided on the post.  But if your hammer/firing pin does not have the force to drive it forward then you really might have a problem.  Again I have never looked at a CVA Elkhorn, but if there is not enough spring force to make it work, I am wondering if you can change the spring to a heavier spring?

You are right about the hammer spring being the cause of the problem and CVA has had this problem on and off for years, at least since I had my first one in the early 80's.  The solution though, aside from finding a stronger spring, which I'm not sure that's possible, is to get a looser nipple.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal