collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to duck hunting ..What decoy's should I purchase?  (Read 20570 times)

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
Re: New to duck hunting ..What decoy's should I purchase?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »
Find some older decoys on craigslist. I'd start with 12-18 mallards. Mallard decoys will bring in all dabblers. Make sure that you really like duck hunting with decoys before you go all in  :twocents:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
I have found that in most cases GHG Hot buys aren't much more than most CL decoys and are much better looking... I have talked to a couple of avid hunters that only repaint old decoys to hens because its quick and cheep... I don't think you save that much on repainting old decoys unless you already own them. The time you save on painting could be spent on scouting.  ;)
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Glockster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »
A great cheap trick is to buy some used mallard decoys and paint them all black.  They show up a long way away and birds decoy just as good to them. 

Or buy a bunch of coot decoys and throw 4 or 6 widgeon decoys amongst them...that trick works especially well on the upper columbia river. 

If you put out the standard 2 dozen mallard decoys in the split group pattern that everyone else does, you're not going to kill very many ducks after November 1. 

Offline Upton O. Good

• Tracker
  • I don't want to live my life in my backyard.
    • BeingKarl
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 06:13:27 AM »
Greenhead Gear decoys are good, you can buy in at whatever level you want with Hot Buys being the least expensive.  If you are going to hunt the potholes I think you should go with a guided outfit the first time so you can get an idea of what is involved.  I've had mixed experiences with the Duck Taxi at MarDon. 

There will be some waterfowl shows at various sporting goods stores in the next month, try to get to several of them and ask a bunch of questions from the promotional staff that will be at the shows.  You may also find some special deals on decoys at those shows.

And please, don't wait until you are hunting to practice your calling, let the decoys do the work. 

Welcome to a great sport.
"When God threw me, a pebble, into this wondrous lake, I disturbed its surface with countless circles.

But when I reached the depths, I became very still."

Gibran

Offline doublenasty

• Tracker
  • QUACK,QUACK BOOM!!!!!
    • https://www.facebook.com/Doublenasty17
New to duck hunting ..What decoy's should I purchase?
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »
I have 4 dozen for sale if your interested

Offline bone collector 12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »
Hot buys work great for the potholes even better for hiking in we have 4 dozen and have been using them for 4 years and they are still in great shape

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
I am picking up my uncles trailer full of decoys to sell in two weeks.  It is full 24'.  He has cork decoys as well.  I will throw them when I have a chance.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 03:16:10 AM »
Double, send me a pm if you're still looking to sell. Got a buddy that is going to show me the ropes. I already sound like a pissed off mallard but I don't wanna jump in with both feet so to speak until I know I like it.
the head has been lopped of the eagle.our country has become a nation of losers,them that feed on the teet and can do no more than suckle from them that toil. ~ Rasbo

Offline Cougar125

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 03:28:42 AM »
GHG Hotbuys are relatively inexpensive and you can later repaint them into other species if needbe.  Other than that I like my GHG Pro Grades.  Species will really depend on what you're after.  Teal decoy pretty easily into anything...so do spoonies.  Sprig can be picky.  Wigeon can be too, but if you throw out some coot decoys, the wigeon will come in easier. 

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 01:14:10 PM »
Get the cheapest ones you can buy. and get mallard decoys.
Almost all puddle ducks will decoy to mallard decoys (i.e. widgeon, teal, pintails).
Plus the mallard decoys are a bit bigger and can be seen from farther off.

I own a bunch of decoys... and the GreenHeadGear are by far the cheapest, and some of the best looking.

Inflatable decoys aren't a bad option either, they're cheap and light weight.
And they are nice if you don't have a boat... since you'd have to walk into your spot.

Both are a great place to start.

But by far...... The only thing you need to consider is.....

GO WITH THE CHEAPEST YOU CAN GET.   

Atleast for your first couple years.
And you probly will do just fine with only about a dozen.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline Glockster

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »
It's good advice, but think the problem is everyone uses 2 doz mallard decoys in a split pattern just like they see diagrammed in the magazines.  Try a bunch of coot decoys and 6 wigeons, a gadwall or two and connect a couple of them to a jerk string, don't call and kill a bunch of mallards in the Potholes.  Ooops i did it again.  LOL   

It's fun to get geeky about decoys and try to set the different species and look different than all the other spreads out there. 

Offline quackattack90

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washing Waterfowl Assoc.
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
   I agree that hot buy GHG deeks are decent cheaper decoys for the begginer waterfowler.  However, if this duck hunting is something you plan on persuing I would very much recomend forgetting about GHG.  They may look good, but they aren't all that they are cracked up to be.  The paint on all GHG decoys are terrible, it will start coming off in large flakes after one season if they last that long.  GHG deeks are also heavier than most decoys so if you plan on packing them out on your back keep this in mind.

Another decoy that I have been surprised with is hardcore's mallard decoys.  They are lightweight but the paint is awesome.

I personally would recommend G&H deeks.  They are by far the most durable decoys on the market.  They run $119 a dzn. and will last you for ever.  My hunting partner has hunted over his for the past 15 yrs and never had to touch them up until this year, and has killed hundreds and hundreds of ducks over them from here to Minnesota.

For species I would start out with a dozen mallards and a dozen pins.  I started using a minimum of 1 dzn pins in my spread a couple years ago and my bird numbers have doubled.  Having the bright white pins definately helps.

This is from personal decoy experience and info from other hunters I know.  Hope it helps.  Good luck!!

Offline D-on7

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »
GHG are very good looking, great for early season and maybe at the start of the migration, but  after the locals get wise and migrates  are around there area for a little while and almost become locals I turn to Full curl decoys the have flocked heads and tails this will  help full the wisest mallrads around, IT really helps on public land when your trying to set your spread apart from other hunting groups. Also you cant put out less decoys, just my opinion.

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 09:47:10 AM »
Geez guys....
You forget what this guys question was.
Quit giving him way too much info....
He just needs to know the basics, so he can START beginning to become an experienced decoyer.
He needs to start at the beginning.
He don't need tips about flocked heads and repainting till AFTER he's gone out a few times.
LOL....    don't ovewhelm the poor guy.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline Black Plague

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »
most everyones comments are pretty accurate... I am a college student (which doesn't pay well) so getting a good deal is important to me, therefore the hotbuys or used dekes are what I currently use.  (also I borrow my dads 8 dozen selection whenever appropriate cuz they are better than mine   :) )    here is a quick craigslist search of used dekes.    ....probably not answering the question well but...I need a break and this is fun to do sooo... here you go

... good luck and most important get out there and have a good time. 

Spokane.craigslist.org/spo/3201759468.html   ok so these are in rathdrum Id  ...but....
http://spokane.craigslist.org/spo/3150893759.html     spokane 
http://spokane.craigslist.org/spo/3103112854.html      "      "
http://lewiston.craigslist.org/spo/3118558819.html    Lewiston Id   
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/3224137366.html    Edmonds
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/3221358681.html     goose shells tacoma ish
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/3215046548.html   marysville
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/3220263517.html   redmond
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/3218645866.html   for the coot lovers... Puyallup
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/3160742496.html   kirkland   
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/spo/3213563952.html  ... interesting
 http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-AVE7000S           GHG Hot Buy Standard Mallards...54 per dozen ...finding

anyway...this was fun....its often a little difficult to determine if buying used is really any better than buying new gear, especially when sellers have nostalgia about their precious gear.....   good luck !!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]