collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Future of Washington Hunting Season's  (Read 24498 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Future of Washington Hunting Season's
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »
Change it - slightly

I have already mentioned some of the things I would like to see on the draw hunts.

Keep points
Go back to the "if you apply your penalized 3 days)
Drop hunt choices back to one (or maybe two)
Pre pay on the big 3

Offline wannahunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »
I think if you put in for a special hunts then you have to miss out on the opening week-end for general season hunts even if you aren't drawn. That will lower the number of folks putting in for the special hunts. :dunno: On the other hand it seems that Oregon's system is pretty well accepted by the folks down there. At least the ones I have talked to. 

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 07:10:17 PM »
I second Billy the kid rock's idea...  I'd be more than willing to push my season out 3 days in order to have better draw odds.  (I only seriously hunt late season anyway)
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 11:18:57 AM »
 Understand your point of view, but from a public land's perspective (that we all pay for), the east side has 60-70% of the State total. Considering that the bulk of State money used to manage and purchase those lands comes from the west side, west sider's should have opportunity also, particularly since their IS overcrowding on the west side and much more shrinking of hunting land's than on the east side -the east side has actually expanded in new land's in recent years while the west side has lost ten's of thousand's of acres in private timberland opportunity. If you penalized wet siders in that way, hunting would die out altogether in Wa. financially.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 11:21:01 AM »
That side of the discussion could open up a whole new can of worms
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 12:27:55 PM »
I fully agree with billythekidrocks idea of pre-pay to apply for the big three.  At $5 an application, that is the PRIMARY reason the drawing odds have gotten so bad.  Also increase the cost of applying for deer/elk special permits to $10 per species.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 12:29:57 PM »
Duckfvr, If I own land on both sides of the state can I hunt both?
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 02:00:42 PM »
I'm not sure about the 3 day lag for the general as I've never really thought of it, and the season is so short anyway.  I do absolutely think the big 3 should be up front cash.  I think they could tank the points if they want to.  I also think they should make it one choice only, and sell leftover tags for those that don't fill up.

Offline Kent Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 10:34:33 PM »
I've heard rumors that we are going "draw only" like some other states in a few years. I would be alright with that.

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 08:37:08 AM »
DuckFvr-Has a serious good point there.

Sure you guys out number us, three to one, maybe more? Doesn't that mean that our state should do a "Split" like perhaps New York State has done??? All the voting power is in the cities, so to keep our strength or voting power equal, we need to "split" the voting capacity so that we have an equal VOICE.

If you can come up with a good reason why not...Somebody tell me why a city full of people, most raised with one idea in thier heads, should have voting power over those of us living over here?

Sorry to bring this up, but most over by the coast are Liberals, most over here are not. We is country lovin' gun toters, and "WE" should have the voting power over what happens over HERE.

Sure, this is going to offend some folks, but shouldn't YOU have voting power over what happens in YOUR backyard, as WE should have voting power over what happens in OURS???

Common sense?
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »
Littletoes, I'm over here on the "coast" as you guys on the east side like to call western WA.  I totally agree with your opinion; yes it seems like common sense.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 09:04:51 PM »

If you can come up with a good reason why not...Somebody tell me why a city full of people, most raised with one idea in thier heads, should have voting power over those of us living over here?

I agree with this, I think this is how we lost hounds and baiting

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 11:09:29 AM »
I get discriminated in all of the other states I hunt as a non-resident. I'll be damned if I'll get discriminated in my OWN state.

These biggame animals reside in mainly Federal lands which are owned by all citizens. Wildlife are publicly owned. I buy my eastside tag even though I live westside and have elk in my backyard, but I prefer to hunt big bulls on the eastside, my choice. Everyone has the same odds of drawing. There is already a penalty on the eastside its called spike only if you don't draw!

Let's not split our ranks any further!

I like Oregon's point system the best. It would be an easy transition for WDFW to do. 75% of the tags go to those  with most points then 25% are drawn random luck.  I've seen Nevada's spread sheet for points ( identical to washingtons weighted point system), weighted points don't do you alot of good if you have bad luck. My hunting partner has 8 deer points in Nevada and the tags were drawn this year in the unit he applies for by hunters with fewer points. Sound familiar to Washington? I know of a kid who drew Cleman Mt. sheep last year with 2 points. Great for the kid but unfair for the hunters with max points. 

"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 11:32:55 AM »
I get discriminated in all of the other states I hunt as a non-resident. I'll be damned if I'll get discriminated in my OWN state.

So, you don't think "We" over here don't get discriminated by what happens on any kind of vote because of the huge population over there??? King Co. alone outnumbers our entire side of the State. We don't even have a voice, and sad to say, that is with ALL things, not just game animals. Hell, the folks we have to choose from as Officials mostly live over there too. Thats got to help our position, sure. 

As said above, how many negative votes for hounds/bears came from over there as opposed from here, just as one example. Do you realy think its going to get better? Just listen to the voice's from this side....
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 12:20:35 PM »
 The bait/hound ban had nothing to do with hunters.  It had to do with a well run campaign by anti's.  This ban affected the whole state not just eastside. 

I am listening to the argument. I just don't agree in dividing this states hunters. The old divided we fall theory, held pretty true for Custer.

"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter