collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opinions on best 1 man tent for backcountry  (Read 49635 times)

Offline clindsayrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Opinions on best 1 man tent for backcountry
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:10:12 AM »
I have a Sierra Designs Lightyear that's worked out really well. It's not free standing though. My friends are all running Big Agnes tents now. Free standing, more height so you can easily sit in them, and a bigger vestibule for gear storage. Only ounces heavier than the Lightyear... More expensive though. I'd buy the Big Agnes if I were looking now.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 10:16:52 PM »
most importantly...one you will carry! budgets, floors, etc...it all comes down to the fact that whatever you buy you need to know how to set it up in the dark, take it down in the rain, and most of all, pack it with you. For a few years I just slept under a tarp (hint: keep it very low to the ground, maximizing the covered square footage/footprint and dig a small trench around your sleeping area...keeps the wind, rain and snow off of you) but then went to a 2 person tent so I had room to put my stuff into the tent with me, and get dressed in there as well...life is good now, but you only learn these lessons from trial and error...and a $300 tent is an expensive lesson! (but worth it once you know exactly what you want after giving it a go with other options).

G-C-R
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:58 AM »
My GoLite Shangri La 5 with 2 person nest from seek outside (bathtub floor plus silnylon on wall next to shangri la wall) is my new go to backcountry shelter.  It is a palace for one.  If I really want to pamper myself, I will take my small stove with.  I had a stove jack installed.

I also have a Mountain Hardware Drifter 3 which is a great tent for the money.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline SWHUNTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »
Jay,

Consider the MSR Carbon Reflex 1. It's been a great tent for me.

Offline casey58

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
I have a big ag ul 2 person tent. its just big enough for me and my gear and weighs a little more then 3lbs.  It was my first time using it this weekend and it is by far the best tent I have owned super easy to set up and take down

Offline timberghost72

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Seattle Rifle & Pistol
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 07:48:01 PM »
http://www.rei.com/product/812848/alps-mountaineering-mystique-15-tent-special-buy
ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 1.5 Tent - Special Buy

$122.93
    $189.99*

REDUCED PRICE You Save 35%

i have a one man rei tent that ive had for probably 7 years and still havent had to waterproof it. thing is still like new with no wear on it at all. rei makes some good quality tents

I bought this exact tent from REI last year. I bought it for the weight and it is roomy for a 1.5 man tent. I got home and set it up and found the stitching very poor and when staking it down it pulled apart the seams about 1/8".  I decided I didn't want to find out how much water would enter while I was sleeping so I returned it. I also really don't like non-freestanding tents. I'll take the extra oz. for a freestanding tent any day.
     I eventually bought the Cabelas 1 man XPG  tent and so far very happy with it. Perfect for sleeping with a few things inside. I just throw everything else under the vestbule. With the smaller volume it stays warmer inside also.  :twocents:
     Here is a picture for comparasion. My tent in the forground. A two man behind it. It weighs in at 4 pounds complete with poles, fly and body. You can buy lighter but for the price, this one I felt was pretty good.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:59:23 PM by timberghost72 »

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
The best tent in the back country is one that is simple to set up, Lightweight, will keep you dry. I don't care how much it costs, but if it's heavy then it's not something I want in my pack. A good lightweight tent should keep you dry. A full rain fly is a must. I do prefer a floor. That said, I don't expect to pack in a four season tent either. I've done the tarp and bivy bag thing.. That is fine in good weather. But weather in the back country is virtually unpredictable.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
The North Face Tadpole 23. The design has been around FOREVER, I have one that's 15 yrs old and one that's 5. Super easy to set up and take down and absolutely bullet proof in the wind. I've had mine on a sheep hunt in AK in October in 50 mph gusts you could hear coming 30 seconds out, then BAM they would slam the sides of the tent and it held up perfectly. Nice vestibule and around 3lbs.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 07:19:48 AM »
I'm a fan of the Golite tents.  They have some great deals from time to time, and in my opinion offer a quality product.    With that said, I'm trying a hammock and tarp setup for my next solo hunt.   It's pretty damn light and doesn't take up much room compared to even my Shangri_la5.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 07:28:34 AM »
I'm a fan of the Golite tents.  They have some great deals from time to time, and in my opinion offer a quality product.    With that said, I'm trying a hammock and tarp setup for my next solo hunt.   It's pretty damn light and doesn't take up much room compared to even my Shangri_la5.
I like the go-lite tents also, tried the SL-3 but I am to tall for it. They have the SL-5 on thier website listed for 299.00 right now, but they are out of stock and won't back order.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 07:31:27 AM »
I like the go-lite tents also, tried the SL-3 but I am to tall for it. They have the SL-5 on thier website listed for 299.00 right now, but they are out of stock and won't back order.

They will have some more.  It's just because of the price that they sold out.   Lots of times they will have sales and everything will be "temporarily out of stock" for a while.   I've got the 5 and the footprint is about 9' 5"  by 9' 5".   I'm guessing that when you say to tall it's when you were laying down in the 3?

Offline asl20bball

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
Big ag fly creek ul is super light if you want a one man plus room for storage then you want a two man. I believe the 2 man in the fly creek is just over 2 lbs

I have the UL2. I'd recc it over the one man...the UL2 is still very light and provides that little bit of extra storage for your gear. As with any tent, and "2 man" is really a one man tent anyway.
Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »

:yeah:  Also Hilleberg builds some great lightweight solo options.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 08:49:15 PM »

They will have some more.  It's just because of the price that they sold out.   Lots of times they will have sales and everything will be "temporarily out of stock" for a while.   I've got the 5 and the footprint is about 9' 5"  by 9' 5".   I'm guessing that when you say to tall it's when you were laying down in the 3?

Ya, they are going to have some more, in January, at $600...............I don't like them that much

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]