collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Give a kid a chance  (Read 13817 times)

Offline ckr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Give a kid a chance
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
So my 7yr old son has been working extremely hard on his own, un-coached to pass the online hunter ed class.  He finally took his final exam and received a passing grade.  Now the problem that I am running into is that many of the field evaluators think he is way too young and don't want him in their class or won't accomadate him (requiring him to shoot a large caliber rifle or a 20 gauge). I want my son to pass but I don't want him getting hurt or fearing recoil.  My son would not be hunting large game for the next year or two but he is ready for grouse and rabbits with his dad.
He is very safe and confadent with his 22 or 410.
Can anyone on here help or maybe give me a name of one of a instructor who will give a kid a chance.  I am not looking for a freebe for my son but for someone to take him as serious as he has been this far
Thanks for the help

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
Re: Give a kid a chance
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
I had I think 3 8 year olds in my hunters ed class not including me. I don't know if this guy still teaches hunters ed because that was a while ago, but it was out of Sedro Woolley. The kids (me) shot a mini 14 for the large caliber which doesn't kick a young gun hardly at all  :tup: The shotguns were optional.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
It's a sad thing. When I took it all the kids my age failed. Just because they were young and they said they were not big enough and strong enough yet. Lucky for me I looked way older and was more mellow. You should have seen their faces when I told then I was 10. They all started to talk when doing my temp card. My dad stepped in and said you better not even think about failing him because of his age. They gave me my card but without my dad there I don't think they would have. It really depends on the kid and the parents. I started at a young age as I am sure your son had. Most 7 year old kids out there are probably not ready for it. Now you take a kid brought up with it or the parents have been working with him. Then it's a diffrent ball game.

List what area you are from and maybe someone has a name for you. I do not know anyone but the guys around goldendale.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »
I had I think 3 8 year olds in my hunters ed class not including me. I don't know if this guy still teaches hunters ed because that was a while ago, but it was out of Sedro Woolley. The kids (me) shot a mini 14 for the large caliber which doesn't kick a young gun hardly at all  :tup: The shotguns were optional.

The instructor that I am talking about has "bee" somewhere in his name I think. Hope I helped.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline scottfrick

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • https://m.facebook.com/groups/532650454864045/?ref=share&mibextid=S66gvF
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
Paul Bunyan the shooting range up on south hill, puyallup offers hunters ed. I have a great family friend that helps instruct the classes and i've seen a lot of younger kids go thru and pass. If your near the area I could hook you up with a phone number. I'm sure he would be happy to give you some information!!! Good luck to you and your son :tup:

Offline ckr

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
Thanks I will have to look them up.  I am in marysville but I am willing to travel to give him a chance.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:10:26 AM »
Chuck Ray is the Hunter Ed coordinator for the east side. Give him a call or email. Hunter Ed instructors are not allowed to turn someone away because of age but may require students under a certain age to be accompanied by a parent or guardian. He should be able to help you. (509) 754-6032 or chuck.ray@dfw.wa.gov
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:49:34 AM »
The issue this time of year will be finding a Skills Evaluation session with availability. Our September and October sessions filled up within a week when we posted them in April.

Your best bet is to continue checking the courses in your area (or anywhere in the state, if you wish) to see if a spot opens up.

http://www.register-ed.com/programs/95

Good luck.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline ckr

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input.  I found a open class coming up in Renton.  I am contacting the instructor to see his requirements. 

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »
You'r telling us that you 1st or 2nd grader read, understood, and took the hunter ed course, and took the test WITHOUT your help, and passed the TEST ON HIS OWN ??

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
I took the hunters Ed class in 2005 and we did not have to shoot a large caliber. Only .22 s and demonstrate that we could safely handle a gun

Offline ckr

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 10:09:41 PM »
Yes I believe he passed on his own.  He is in second grade and he was able to read most of the online material with little help from me on bigger words and meanings of some words.  My wife who knows nothing about hunting and did not do anything with him for the online class helped read some of the questions during his final online test.  We did it that way to make sure he retained the info and could not turn to dad for help.  As I understand it, he can request someone to read the written test to him during the field day eval.

Offline sebek556

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:14:09 PM »
 :tup: my oldest son did it at 7, and my youngest one is turning 7 this weekend and will start in on it shortly afterwards  :tup:

Offline magnus100

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 02:15:35 PM »
I feel for you. My duaghter went thru and passed when she was 8 and she was a tiny 8 year old.  We had to go out and buy women's extra small weight lifting gloves because pulling back the action on a 12 gauge semi auto shotgun hurt her hand and made her cry. Not sure this was really necessary but she made it thru and passed with only a couple wrong on the written test. She then went on to kill numerous white tails and an elk with her muzzle broke .243 with a tiny cut down stock.  All 1 shot kills right behind the front shoulder.  Now she is 17 and hasn't hunted the last 3 years but hopefully will come back to it when she is ready. Very good memories. On a bright note my 14 year old son is getting into it good but I hope she comes back to it so we can do it as a family.

Offline shedkid

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »
Are you confident with him hunting??? If he is ready then he should get a chance.I was always out in the woods constintly with my dad learning and target practicing.I think if you are confident that your kid is ready he should get a chance, and he is old enough if he is ready.I took and passed the hunter safety when i was 6, but i had lots of espereince with with my dad and the outdoors.If he is ready, give him a chance find an instructor that will allow it.Good luck!!! :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]