collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Straw Bales?  (Read 6714 times)

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Straw Bales?
« on: October 19, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »
Anybody use straw bales as a backstop for their archery targets? I have a block classic but I want something i can put behind it for longer shots and reducing the chance of losing an arrow incase of a miss. I've heard mixed reviews on straw bales though.

Offline kglacken

• Co-Host at ZG Outdoors
  • Sourdough
    • ZG Outdoors
Re: Straw Bales?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
Thats what I use.  :tup: They work good for me, although i never hit them  ;)  :tup:

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »
They work good for me as a backstop. I've been know to miss on occasion and haven't had an arrow pass through them. Plus they're cheap.
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
The ones I just bought for my home range the arrows will blow through them. The straw bales at the club I shoot at stop my arrows fine. The only difference between the bales at home verse the club is that the club uses steel bands to compress three bales together. You could do the same with ratcheting tie downs for home use.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:29:29 PM »
The ones I just bought for my home range the arrows will blow through them. The straw bales at the club I shoot at stop my arrows fine. The only difference between the bales at home verse the club is that the club uses steel bands to compress three bales together. You could do the same with ratcheting tie downs for home use.

:yeah:

And put a tarp over it to keep them from rotting.

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »

Most clubs buy specially compressed bales.  The last ones I looked at buying we're near 350lbs and had 5000lbs of tension on the bands.  The kind you get at a Farm Supply weigh no more than 100lbs and only have 500lbs of tension.  They work, but I put them two deep and three high.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
As mentioned previously, the ratcheting straps work well to compress a standard bale.  Especially just used as a backstop and not the main target. 

It is a pain to pull broadheads out of straw though.

Offline Fishstiq

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:44:56 AM »

:yeah:

And put a tarp over it to keep them from rotting.

X2!!!  Rotted straw bales suck!

I made the backstop you can see here...

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,101102.msg1314762.html#msg1314762

It works well.  Lokidog was gonna build one similar, not sure if he has had the time to build it yet or not or if he could post pics of his if he has...? 
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

― Samuel Adams

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
Not yet.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »
We use bales of straw wrapped in a tarp, and back those up with a sheet of plywood. I have sent arrows right through straw alone, and right through plywood alone, but the two together are pretty darn effective.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
2 boards, 4 threaded rods, 8 washers, 8 nuts, and wham you have your own compressor for foam, paper, straw, hay, whatever  :tup:

Offline WonkyWapiti

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »
A buddy of mine had a line on some really thick pieces of styrofoam a while back.  These were like 4 foot by 4 foot wide and like 8 inches thick.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 08:47:29 PM »
A buddy of mine had a line on some really thick pieces of styrofoam a while back.  These were like 4 foot by 4 foot wide and like 8 inches thick.

I can't use styrofoam targets because my chickens will eat them....   >:(

Offline seansfire

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »
dont recall who but someone told me carpet works well if set up right. lots of layers banded together i think it was. stopped arrows good.

i used straw bales but the arrows popped the strings and i had a helluva mess to clean up.  :chuckle:
The only person who has failed is the one who never tried.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »
dont recall who but someone told me carpet works well if set up right. lots of layers banded together i think it was. stopped arrows good.

i used straw bales but the arrows popped the strings and i had a helluva mess to clean up.  :chuckle:

After strapping the bale, shoot in the side, if you are cutting strings then you have more issues than shooting at a straw bale.   :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal