collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ebey Island Duck Hunters  (Read 34635 times)

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:39 AM »
 :hello:

Sorry for getting so close to your set while ducks were in the air.  I always feel bad about that even though it’s a release area and the dog insisted that’s where the birds were.  He was right.  :tup:

Thanks for being cool about it,  Hope you did well after we got out of there.

Offline ZachG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
respect you for posting this. I actually had shot land on me once people were so inconsiderate when I was duck hunting out there! I just gave up and went around to the swamp side. I guess we duck hunters just have to accept that the land will never be the same!

Offline Cougar125

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »
Much respect for this post!

Offline Snowgoose1

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »
It is nice to see this type of a post.  I give way to and stay away from release areas when duck hunting until the season closes for Ringnecks. I figure I get enough other days and areas to hunt ducks so I give those people all the respect they deserve with limited property area.  Nice to see people getting along.  This is the true respect of each other, I tip my hat to both of you.

Offline bronczilla

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:10:33 AM »
My family owns a good portion of Ebey Island, I hope your talking about the Fish and Wildlife land and not private property. Not many people know where the line is and not many people know that the area they park near the trestle is private property. We have an agreement with Fish and Wildlife that the land can be used for parking and access if our cows can graze on their land.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
first off, its just stupid to mix duck hunters with pheasant hunters. the areas west side duck hunters can hunt vs where a guy can hunt pheasants on the West side have to be like what? 20 to one? duck hunters  have many public land options and any private land you can solicit permission to hunt. if you want to hunt pheasants on the wet side you can only do it from a release site. sure you can hunt pheasants off the release site but its pretty pointless unless there is one very nearby.

they either need to make pheasant release sites off limits to duck hunters during the season or rework pheasant season- which could start sept 1st or feb 1st for all I care, it really doesn't matter since the birds are pen raised. :twocents:

Now since I like to duck hunt as well I try to be respectful of the duck hunters while I am out there after pheasant, but its nerve wracking since you guys are camo'ed up and hidden. so cut us pheasant hunters some slack, a lot of times we don't see you until our dog is licking your face. :tung:

Now my question is: if I am pheasant hunting near your duck blind -and you start calling- I try to stop moving and get low (even though I am wearing 400 square inches of blase orange)  until you stop calling or shoot or the birds leave. Does this help at all or would you prefer me just keep working my way away?   

"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline dukethedog

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »
Heres a crazy idea.........why don't you close all western wa pheasant sites since there scary as hell to hunt on except mabey Fort Lewis.....And put the birds in easter Wa.  That way we segragate easier......the pheasants have a chance of making it through the winter and you help with the econmy in easter wa.......Helping the farmers and public lands over there will only help with the future of bird populations and awareness.  Honestly lets think just for a second.......mabey we would get to shoot some hold overs once in a while.

Sorry for stepping out of line. ........ :twocents:

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »

Now my question is: if I am pheasant hunting near your duck blind -and you start calling- I try to stop moving and get low (even though I am wearing 400 square inches of blase orange)  until you stop calling or shoot or the birds leave. Does this help at all or would you prefer me just keep working my way away?

I don't duck hunt at a pheasant release site, but if I did........I would like you too "duck" down  :chuckle:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »
THIS!!!!
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline dukethedog

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »
Cheers...... :brew:

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
I literally laughed out loud at that pic.   :chuckle:

I can see Stilly's point though. When we went pheasant hunting it was pretty easy to spot the pheasant hunters. The duck hunters on the other hand I never spotted until we were practically on top of em. Just seems to me like a dangerous way to hunt when you go out into an area that is crowded with hunters and try to be invisible.  :dunno:

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »
Unfortunatley, they release the phesant in duck areas.  It would be nice to have some areas on the west side that would be upland only.  Or since they are released birds, why not open the west side season from Sept. 1st - Oct. 12th.  A good example of a pheasant only spot is the one on Bow hill.  I know it's like hunting in a forest, but it has potential, once a few more trees are removed and slash piles are burned.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline quackattack90

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washing Waterfowl Assoc.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 08:24:47 PM »
Even though you don't hunt my area it is good to know there is a pheasant hunter that has good ethics and try to respect other hunters sharing the land.  In SW Washington where I hunt pheasant overlaps goose season and it is a sure thing that I will have at least 2 pheasant hunters walk through my spread!!!! I even talked to a guy about it and he proceeded to tell me he did not see me and I was even calling!!!! :bash: :bash:  I wanted to slap the snot out of him.  But anyways appreciate the post.  Keep being a respectable hunter :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]