Advertisement

Poll

Would you shoot a sow with cubs?

Yes
29 (11.3%)
No
228 (88.7%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Sow with cubs shoot or no?  (Read 53119 times)

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Sow with cubs shoot or no?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
ABSOLUTELY NOT!   and I hope that if someone does it on purpose that they are cursed with bad Karma for the rest of their hunting LIFE
:yeah: i couldnt aggree more, anyone who knowingly kills a sow with cubs or a cat with kittens is pretty fricken low and doesnt deserve to hunt, we are sportsman we represent all of us and doing idiotic stuff like that looks horrible, just like that moron shootn that elk full of arrows up by darrington or some place3 that ended up on the news, well how well do you think it would go over with some poor cub crying over his mama getn killed and now that cub that isnt even a year old has to make it through a winter and also make it passed boars, well the chances of it making it is real slim....
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Online xXLojackXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
I look at cats completely differently. Kittens or not they get plugged! Wayyyyy too many cats and cougar kills laying around the units I hunt. Deer and elk hunting would be 300% better if there were half as many cats around. Too bad you can only shoot one a year  :bash:

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 11:02:18 PM »
I've been lucky enough to hold off shooting just long enough for cubs to show themselves on 5 occasions the last 2 years. I would/could have killed those sows with my eyes closed. 3 of them were within 50 yards and I had no idea there were cubs.

I gave myself a 5 minute rule in areas where cubs can be out of sight. I don't need to kill a bear that bad to risk orphaning any cubs  :bdid:

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 11:51:44 PM »
Unfortunately this year there was a hunter that killed a bear so big he tied it's front legs together it's back legs together stuck a branch between them and carried the bear out like a suitcase packed out by local outfitter. I'd of been to embarrassed to even say I shot it
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Online Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 12:09:36 AM »
I'd kill a cub in some situations, need to be 70lbs atleast. I'd never knowingly kill a sow with cubs unless the cubs were big enough to take care of their own.

Lions are different, we have way to many of them. Without dogs, id shoot any female with kits. If our state manage lions correctly my views would be different. With dogs its male only for the most part, depends on the situation of course.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 12:48:02 AM »
I voted no I too have been able to not shoot a cub.
Several years ago I was on my favorite hill deer hunting. Heard some noise from my right side, turned and out popped this little cub. Well a bit bigger than a cub, but not much I passed.
I know the post is about Sows with cubs, but this one probably had a Sow near by so Passed.
I would hate to see it illegal though, shoot a Sow then out pops her cubs.  :yike: Your a criminal then for a mistake. No that wouldn't be quite right either.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 07:06:15 AM »
Thank you for your rule Bankwalker.   Thats something I touched on last year with a pic of a pig of a sow.   All of a sudden little babs showed up.    Accidents happen, but if people just calm their jets a minute, many could be avoided.  INCLUDING woman in blue coats. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »
as for the 7 of you that have so far voted yes.....you make me sick!

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »
WTF!!  people actually said yes  :o how do you see results? does it show who?  wow where are their ethics? where is the sport? why not just to to the grocery store if all you want is a kill, not a ethical kill. Effin losers.

Offline stickbuck

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »
Absolutely not ok! It would never even cross my mind that is for sure. Period!

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 08:18:11 AM »
If you vote you should see results. I simply dont believe that many people would kill a sow knowing she had cubs. I believe some are just trying to liven things up.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
Now wait a minute, I know that I am a very ethical hunter, and I know there are a lot of people who agree with me. It depends on how old the cubs are. If they are this years cubs then no. But we all now that 2 year old cubs are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves. In fact I've seen pics of bears taken this year on this board that look like 2 year old cubs. IMO any bear under 100 lbs is a cub. I would shoot a sow with a 100lb cub. If that makes you sick or if you think I'm unethical, then that's just a difference of opinion.  :twocents:
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline littlemac

• Scout
  • Life Member NRA, Life RMEF, Life SCI
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »
If you vote you should see results. I simply dont believe that many people would kill a sow knowing she had cubs. I believe some are just trying to liven things up.

Yep
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor even the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

-- Charles Darwin

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 08:34:40 AM »
its not my job to decide when that mother ias done doing her job with that cub, if she hasnt kicked him to the curb yet theres probably a reason, just because he is old enough to take care of himself, doesnt mean he can yet, maybe hes slow, dumb, whatever, i was not aware any of us were actual Bear Mothers and knew this stuff  :chuckle: a cub is a cub, if its following momma nope i wouldnt shoot it.

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 08:42:16 AM »
I respect your opinion. All any of us can do is what we feel is right. I have never shot a sow with a cub, but like I said, if it's a grown cub, I may. In reality I don't want to shoot a sow at all, I'd rather shoot a big boar, but I certainly wouldn't force my beliefs on anyone else. I would definitely be put off by someone shooting a sow with a couple little 30lb cubs knowing they wont survive. A 100 lb cub, not a problem, slow, retarded or whatever, it's survival of the fittest. It a 100 lb cub can't take care of himself then you don't want his genes passed on anyway.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]