collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody have a Bison mount?  (Read 5189 times)

Offline Kent Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Anybody have a Bison mount?
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:25:17 PM »
My taxidermist called me today and said that he was getting ready to order a form for my Bison that I am getting mounted. Just wondering if anybody had a Bison mount on their wall and if so could you post a picture of it for me. I would like to get some ideas for the mount. This is no three year old bull. It is a HUGE twelve year old bull and I would like to get some ideas on just wich way to mount it. I do have a place in the the house that I can hang it, but this thing is going to take up quite a bit of space. Rick, my taxidermist said that the cape measures 57 inches around where the neck meets the skull. Thanks for any and all replys. Spike.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
Re: Anybody have a Bison mount?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
Kent their realy isn't a bunch of choices out their for Bison forms other than size most are just streight ahead forms.  They can have a turn added to them if their isn't a form available with one.  Their are some floor pedastals. 

Bigon Shoulder Mount

http://images.google.com/images?ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&q=bison+shoulder+mount&start=0&sa=N

Bison Mount

http://images.google.com/images?ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&q=bison+mount&start=0&sa=N

Offline Kent Hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:20:35 PM »
Thanks Michelle. Your a sweetheart. I think that I'm just going to go with a left turn. Talked to my taxidermist and he reaffirmed what you said. The very biggest form is a straight pose, but he can make it into a left turn pose. This thing is going to be ginormas!! I'll post a few pics when he gets done with it in two or three months. Thanks again.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »
 :)  Your welcome.

Make sure you use a lag bolt in a stud.  Heck you might wanna just go ahead and reinforce the whole wall.   :chuckle:

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
Mine was a wild as it gets five year old.  The measurements of the mount are about 44" high, wall to nose out are 39", width is about 38", just to give you an ideal of size.  It weighs about 75 lbs give or take a couple pounds.  I have seen a few at Sportmans Warehouse (Federal Way) that look awful, they look like fuzzy gremlims, very large fuzzy gremlins, so make cetain your taxi has had experiance with Bison.  I think maybe they were put on a too small of a form or something, maybe Michelle or Bucklucky could explain why they look like they do if they saw them.  Anyhow here are a few pic's that you were looking for.   Mike 

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 04:41:47 PM »
And a couple more views from a different angle.

Offline Kent Hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
Thanks Mike. We live pretty close to each other. I live in Covington. Rick at Cedar River Taxidermy is doing the mount. He's East of you in Ravensdale.

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »
All of my mounts are from the original Rick at Cedar River.  I grew up in Covington.
- Scott

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »
Good to know a local guy that is recommended, might head up there to take a look around at his work.  Hopefully, my full white Caribou cape is going to get shot by my buddy in the next few days and sent to me for my bigger set of antlers that I lost the orginal cape due to some four legged carnivous friends from a my back yard a few years ago...  Everything else I had was full of early season bug bites and always look like crap on the shoulder mount...  I guess I better get a Bull elk down during the late season to sell the cape to cut the cost... 

Offline Kent Hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 05:20:24 AM »
Hi DeKuma. All of my mounts in my trophy room with the exception of my 06 Blacktail and a couple of whitetail shoulder mounts were done by the original Rick ( Rick Weiler) at Cedar river Taxidermy. The new Rick has done my 06 Blacktail and the two Whitetail shoulder mounts since then. The new Rick does quality work also. I don't hesitate in sending people to the new Rick to get work done. He has done a Musk Ox and Mountain Goat for friends of mine and has my Bison in the works as we speak. The new Rick does EXCEPTIONAL work on cats. Some of the best that I have ever seen. That being said, the old Rick (Rick Weiler) did the very best big game shoulder mounts (Elk, Deer, Antelope, Moose, etc) that I knew of.

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 09:15:58 AM »
I have been very happy with Rick Weiler's work.  The last one he did for me was in 05. 

Had another deer done in 04 by him as well.  He also did my bear shoulder mount back in 93-94.  All still look as good as the day I shot them.
- Scott

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal