collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for some advise...  (Read 5815 times)

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
Looking for some advise...
« on: September 08, 2008, 05:16:43 PM »
Hunting for Elk in Washington is completely new as this is my first true season "archery", and was looking for some advise in this following situation...  Went this morning solo, a bit later than what I wanted, slept in, had a long day at the Columbia for Sturgeon yesterday 0330-2100hrs.....  Anyhow, it was already daylight by 30-40 minutes, went to the area where I put the tree stand and mineral lick.... I got out on the trail and proceeded to the stand very quietly and not extremely slow as I should have... didn't expect them to be right there as I approached.  Holly crap it full of elk, 25 or so, and I was about fifty yards away.  The cows were chirpping back and forth and one bull for sure was off in the distance about seventy yards.  Saw his antler tips several times but not a full view. Anyhow, a cow that was to my right about 20 yards must have winded me, saw me, something, she slowly moved away and the chirping went crazy, seemed like everyone of them was talking back and forth I tried to get behind a tree and chirp back but think it was too late as they again slowly drifted away and down the hill towards the bottom, not scared or stressed, I think.  I bugled and two different bulls bugled back half heartily.  I kept chirping but to no avail they moved away.  The whole area was torn up with tracks, urine and poop...  I place the mineral lick there last Thursday and it was chewed/licked down about a 1/8 already.  It is a public area, where I have been told the natives are really active hunting and it being very public property I didn't put up a camera for thoughts of it being ripped off...  I waited for a bit and followed this Elk Interstate down the hill about a mile through some of the steppest terrain in the area, I knew pursuing them might be a mistake especially if I would have gotten one down at the complete bottom so I stopped....  The trail branched off twice, but the main tracks were directly straight down the hill.  Again, didn't want to push the elk out of the area and it was later in the morning by now, about 0830 or so and figured they were heading to their bedding area.  I really don't think the were paniced at all just slowly moved off away from the lick and me.  Curious to some of you guys that hunt elk alot, any tips in this situation?  Should I have kept going all the way down? The bull/s that bugled back sounded really raspy not throaty like after the season ended last year?  Normally, will elk remain in the same drainage as long as not pressured?  Appreciate any good feedback.  Mike

Offline HawkenBob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Looking for some advise...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »
I think for the most part your pretty much correct and did the right thing given the situation.

I do believe they at least used your presence as a good excuse to head for the thick stuff for the day though. Kinda like when you just know your being watched in the woods. But never see anything, and the back of your neck is telling you so. I think that closest cow knew as she was the first to get em all to start talking and walking.

I probably wouldent have called as much either as I really dont know what Im saying other than two or so basic cow calls and wouldent really know which I should use but what a great learning experience you had. Plus the elk may think its weird that one cow just stays and dosent follow but keeps chirping away. What call were you using?

Boy I bet you cant wait to get back. Sounds very exciting. I be interested as to what the others say. This is kind of a test for myself. Im new to this also. But because of my wrist I choose the Muzzleloader as i want to experience the Elk in rut.
I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to.

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »
Part two, this morning I got there right at day break and had a ten minute hike to stand, BUSTED again, this time by about 30 elk around the tree stand and mineral lick, couldn't believe it.  They went off kind of quick, but I went up into stand anyhow, 30 minutes later 9 come down off my right side (cows and calves) and hang out with me for about 15 minutes then they moved out for another 7 that came in from my left and stayed for about 30 minutes.  There was a big Bull letting his voice be heard throughout the valley at about 75 yards or so from me, could hear him panting, never saw even a glimpse of him.  Two others were off in the distance, he might have been chasing them off?  I did have a chance to bugle to him a couple times, he responded with a really deep bellow, man it brought the hair off the back of my neck.  Theothers were raspy and more high pitched. He never showed and the cows walked away as the sun go over heard about 0830hrs.....  Exciting as heck...  Figured I'll head back this evening till dark to maybe catch them coming out from the bottom.  Come on 3 Points on one side is what I need.  Too bad I wasn't in 454 cause I would have vittles on the table tonight with a nice fat cow....  Camera is going up tonight for sure.  Anyone ever ground blind over night?  Come on guys give me ideals on how to bring this bull or one of the bulls in!!!

Offline jadeball1

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
Apparently your getting in there too late. Get you ass out of bed and get in there EARLY. Be patient, it will happen.
What we need is more cow bell

Offline Jeremiah P

• outdoorsman
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:12:05 PM »
I agree, get in your stand an hour before light and listen, just don't fall asleep and fall out. Keep us posted
Remington 300RUM
Mathews DXT, Easton Axis, Trophy Taker, Spot Hogg, Badland Packs

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
When I tree stand for elk, i'm in my stand at least 1.5 hours before sunup, sometimes 2...i've never been busted going in when it's that dark.

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »
always early before dark.I use tacks on trees to get in with minimal light

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 03:44:30 PM »
Getting hotter, got in at o'dark thirty, had about an hour before day light even started to peak over the horizion.  Couple cows wandered by, nothing then as the sun broke the crest, a few really good bugles, CLOSE, so I go ahead and hit one back, then again a few minutes later, cracking sounds, then a nice what I thought was a spike came into view, still not enough complete daylight at the bottom of the hill to look throughly, turned out to be a 3 X 3, very small and tight rack and looked very tasty!  He never came closer than 40-45 yards.  I just wasn't confident in the shot and keep waiting to see if he creep a bit closer then another thrashing of a tree and the deepest bellow I have ever heard, scared the heck out of the smaller bull and me at the same time.  That sound sent a couple other animals running away, but it never peaked out in the open.  Oh it is starting to heat up....   A couple more days.. :chuckle: :chuckle:  I'm beginning to like this Elk stuff.....

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »
Good stuff.  Good luck.........hope you connect.  I enjoy the suspense and living vicariously thru you until I can get out there w/ my ML.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline beerchaser

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »
I'm new here but isn't putting out a mineral lick the equivalent of baiting?  Again, I'm asking for clarification not pointing fingers...

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »
Baiting deer and elk is legal.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline beerchaser

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
Great, thanks for the info.  I didn't know if it was just bear or if it extended to other game animals. 

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »
Cohoho....exciting stuff. Sounds like you are on the right path.

I got busted by a group of cows the other night. They didn't bolt, but a gust of wind hit me from behind and one of the cows scented me and barked. The whole group came to attention and it was game over. It doesn't sound like the herd you are hunting got spooked so you are still good to go.

My guess is that you aren't getting much in the way of responses since most the expert folks are probably out hunting. I'm pretty new to this, but my thought is to make a few cow mews to let a bull know there are some cows are nearby then hit them with an estrus whine. I'm not sure how well this would work from a tree stand, but as long as none of the animals in the herd can see your position when you call I'd think you would be okay. In an ideal world if you have a partner put them somewhere behind you and have them do the calling and pull the bulls by your stand....then bammo. Game over.

Offline swizzler

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 04:34:22 PM »
don't know if it would work from up in a stand, but you might try to fire up that bull even more by raking the tree your in. He may sneak in quietly to size up his competition. Also if he's that close raking trees himself his head is down , use the wind and sneak in and whack him.

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »
After reading the story of Buck Lucky, wow, I am pumped even more.  This morning again similar sitaution as the previous days but said the heck with the tree stand and moved way down the hill before daylight, each side were a couple bugles, but his (Bucklucky) story will have me use his ideal of a a *censored* bull sound, maybe I scared them away with my sounds...???  Had a spike five yards away and cow almost stepped on my pack, so I know my scent is good and being quiet enough.  Got to be in way I am making my presentation..  Til tomorrow..  This is way more fun than Caribou for sure......  A heck of alot more activity than Moose...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal