collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Land Owners Posting Public Land  (Read 15545 times)

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Land Owners Posting Public Land
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
I have software on my GPS that shows property boundaries and ownership. I have encountered multiple situations in Washington and other states with public land posted as private. I believe it is intentionally done in the vast majority of instances. It is wrong, and should be illegal if it is not.

Previous to Summer 2012 unlawfully posting land to prevent hunting/fishing was a misdemeanor in WA. As a result of the change in fish and wildlife laws last year it was decriminalized and was made into a infraction. So it is now the same fine as barbed hooks, no hunter orange, etc.

I think it should have stayed a misdemeanor, it's not like anybody doesn't know where their land ends.

Unfortunately when the State Supreme Court decided all criminal matters must be brought before a judge it meant all WDFW criminal cases would have to go before a judge, whereas before most could be handled by simply paying a ticket. Unfortunately this meant courts would be even more backlogged

In WDFW's opinion it was best to decriminalize certain offenses so they would not flood the courts even more. WDFW made the decision to decriminalize offenses that didn't impact a resource. As a result this violation went from a misdemeanor to a infraction.

I think in the next couple years you will continue to see agencies decriminalize certain offenses so they could realistically enforce them  :twocents:
Why couldn't they be charged with "Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife" which is a misdemeanor?  By posting their land and telling me I can't go on, they are interfering with me.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.210

(1) A person is guilty of obstructing the taking of fish[, shellfish,] or wildlife if the person:

(a) Harasses, drives, or disturbs fish, shellfish, or wildlife with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof; or

(b) Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife or lawful predator control with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof.

(2) Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife is a gross misdemeanor.

Because the actual violation is RCW 77.15.160(4)(c):

Posting signs: Posting signs preventing hunting or fishing on any land not owned or leased by the person doing the posting, or without the permission of the person who owns, leases, or controls the land posted.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.160

Which is an infraction.

In the RCW Bob posted the term "interfer" typically is referred to when someone comes out and starts banging pots and pans when they see you sneaking up on a deer for example. In fact RCW 77.15.210 is rarely used because it can be hard to prove.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »
Bigtex, there is a county road on Vulcan Mtn here in Ferry County, that has been posted by the WDFW, no motor vesicles beyond this sign. The county plows that road with my taxpayer money, so why would that be posted ? The road goes about 1 1/2 miles and ends into private land of which I have permission to access.

Campmeat,

Honestly can't say for sure. Usually those signs are meant to be placed in areas where people have illegally driven off the road and created their own road, or spur roads where people aren't suppose to go. Sorry can't be more help.

I thought it was unusual since I know all the landowners up there, all 2 of them..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »
Bigtex, there is a county road on Vulcan Mtn here in Ferry County, that has been posted by the WDFW, no motor vesicles beyond this sign. The county plows that road with my taxpayer money, so why would that be posted ? The road goes about 1 1/2 miles and ends into private land of which I have permission to access.

Campmeat,

Honestly can't say for sure. Usually those signs are meant to be placed in areas where people have illegally driven off the road and created their own road, or spur roads where people aren't suppose to go. Sorry can't be more help.

I thought it was unusual since I know all the landowners up there, all 2 of them..

And it may be someone stole a WDFW sign and posted it to keep someone away, thinking it looks more official. I have seen timber company no trespassing signs many miles away from any of their property.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
I have software on my GPS that shows property boundaries and ownership. I have encountered multiple situations in Washington and other states with public land posted as private. I believe it is intentionally done in the vast majority of instances. It is wrong, and should be illegal if it is not.

Previous to Summer 2012 unlawfully posting land to prevent hunting/fishing was a misdemeanor in WA. As a result of the change in fish and wildlife laws last year it was decriminalized and was made into a infraction. So it is now the same fine as barbed hooks, no hunter orange, etc.

I think it should have stayed a misdemeanor, it's not like anybody doesn't know where their land ends.

Unfortunately when the State Supreme Court decided all criminal matters must be brought before a judge it meant all WDFW criminal cases would have to go before a judge, whereas before most could be handled by simply paying a ticket. Unfortunately this meant courts would be even more backlogged

In WDFW's opinion it was best to decriminalize certain offenses so they would not flood the courts even more. WDFW made the decision to decriminalize offenses that didn't impact a resource. As a result this violation went from a misdemeanor to a infraction.

I think in the next couple years you will continue to see agencies decriminalize certain offenses so they could realistically enforce them  :twocents:
Why couldn't they be charged with "Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife" which is a misdemeanor?  By posting their land and telling me I can't go on, they are interfering with me.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.210

(1) A person is guilty of obstructing the taking of fish[, shellfish,] or wildlife if the person:

(a) Harasses, drives, or disturbs fish, shellfish, or wildlife with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof; or

(b) Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife or lawful predator control with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof.

(2) Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife is a gross misdemeanor.

Because the actual violation is RCW 77.15.160(4)(c):

Posting signs: Posting signs preventing hunting or fishing on any land not owned or leased by the person doing the posting, or without the permission of the person who owns, leases, or controls the land posted.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.160

Which is an infraction.

In the RCW Bob posted the term "interfer" typically is referred to when someone comes out and starts banging pots and pans when they see you sneaking up on a deer for example. In fact RCW 77.15.210 is rarely used because it can be hard to prove.
If the land is posted illegally then it's an infraction. If the owner comes out, harasses me and tries to stop me, then I'm calling enforcement and will ask them to cite him for unlawful interference if he sticks around.  Bring it on, you dirty landowners.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »

Campmeat,

And it may be someone stole a WDFW sign and posted it to keep someone away, thinking it looks more official. I have seen timber company no trespassing signs many miles away from any of their property.

I bet the kid did it. Never thought of that, but he's 30.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
Isn't it interesting that it says PRIVATE ROAD NO TRESPASSING in big bold letters and then "on deeded land" below it in smaller text.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
Isn't it interesting that it says PRIVATE ROAD NO TRESPASSING in big bold letters and then "on deeded land" below it in smaller text.
I suppose an unscrupulous landowner could put a "NO TRESPASSING on deeded land" sign on public land, and hope people make an incorrect inference that the land behind it is deeded.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
There is a large chunk of land in the Methow that used to be owned by old Doc. Prewett (sp) but was purchased by the state yet its still posted as private as well.

Still bugs the hell out of me and I wish I could get to the bottom of it.  His neighbor just did the same thing.  Tack on another couple thousand acres.
It would end up costing me some time in court but I seriously doubt they could convict me for hunting on that land since its been purchased by the state.
He still patrols it like its his own personal game farm too.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
There is a large chunk of land in the Methow that used to be owned by old Doc. Prewett (sp) but was purchased by the state yet its still posted as private as well.

Still bugs the hell out of me and I wish I could get to the bottom of it.  His neighbor just did the same thing.  Tack on another couple thousand acres.
It would end up costing me some time in court but I seriously doubt they could convict me for hunting on that land since its been purchased by the state.
He still patrols it like its his own personal game farm too.
:chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:30 PM »
I haven't read through all the posts but I think that if someone is posting public land as if it were private then they should do jail time. It should be a form of hunter harassment. Tough to prove, but if you catch 'em in the act.....

It all boils down to knowing where you're at when you're hunting.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 05:27:11 PM »
I have software on my GPS that shows property boundaries and ownership. I have encountered multiple situations in Washington and other states with public land posted as private. I believe it is intentionally done in the vast majority of instances. It is wrong, and should be illegal if it is not. I kind of enjoy finding these conditions, especially if the landowner visits. When told that harassing and interfering with a legal hunt is criminal, and that I'd be glad to call the sheriff and wait for him to come clear it up, the landowner usually leaves in a huff.

Two years ago I had an outfitter in Wyoming tell me to get off the property I was on. I did the same thing: let's call the sheriff and wait for him to come clear it up. The outfitter immediately left.
I also have gps with landowner ID and have seen this a few times as well.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »
I haven't read through all the posts but I think that if someone is posting public land as if it were private then they should do jail time. It should be a form of hunter harassment. Tough to prove, but if you catch 'em in the act.....

Effective Summer 2012 the possibility for jail time for unlawfully posting land was eliminated. Prior to 2012 it was a misdemeanor, it is now a infraction (fine only).

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »
 :bash: so that means its just an infraction if a hunter accidentally drifts onto private land from public while hunting ?

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »
:bash: so that means its just an infraction if a hunter accidentally drifts onto private land from public while hunting ?

Never said that.
It is an infraction if someone posts land that is not their land or they post the land without the permission of the landowner.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »

Never said that.
It is an infraction if someone posts land that is not their land or they post the land without the permission of the landowner.

He was being facetious... the penalty for knowingly posting land that is not yours should be worse than accidentally trespassing.   :bash:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]