collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chicken questions  (Read 21444 times)

Offline Possum197

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA GOA
Re: Chicken questions
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »
Check out these sources for more "Broodie" hens. There a lot of chicken breeds that are better the Rhode Island Reds for a home flock.

http://farwesthatchery.com/

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html     Lots of really good info on lots of different breeds here! :tup:

they all ship through the Post Office too.   Good luck!

Offline bigdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
I have used Murraymcmurray (sp?) for years and have tried other hatcheries on occasion.  I have had have better success at sexing chicks and also with chick survival from MMcmurray.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
Coastal Farm Supplies are getting their birds in next week.  They have a seminar at the one in Burlington on Saturday and are offering discounts for people that attend.  They may be doing a similar promotion at other locations.

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
So I've decided to skip the egg hatching deal, and look for a broody type of breed to help me instead. I think I've narrowed it down to barred rocks, dells is supposed to get chicks in tomorrow and every wednesday now for a while.

My question is, I know I'm supposed to keep the chicks separated from the rest of the chickens for sometime, but at apparoximately what age can I let them go with the rest and not have the other chickens try and kill them? At least that would be my worry... maybe I'm wrong though.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »
So I've decided to skip the egg hatching deal, and look for a broody type of breed to help me instead. I think I've narrowed it down to barred rocks, dells is supposed to get chicks in tomorrow and every wednesday now for a while.

My question is, I know I'm supposed to keep the chicks separated from the rest of the chickens for sometime, but at apparoximately what age can I let them go with the rest and not have the other chickens try and kill them? At least that would be my worry... maybe I'm wrong though.

Want to raise an extra 4 or 5 and I'll come pick them up?  Payment and a six pack?  I'm looking to get some broody hens also.

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
Yeah I don't mind raising some for you, doing 9 or 10 can't be any more work than 4 or 5. You ok with barred rocks? I've read they are broody and great layers

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »

Your right to be concerned. Your existing flock may try to kill the new chicks. We don't put our chicks outside until they are fully feathered and about half the size of the existing hens.(they are all banties) We then "introduce" them to the flock by letting them out in the yard together but we keep a very close eye on them to stop any attacks before they happen. We will also put them together in the pen but keep them seperated by chicken wire to keep them from being able to get at each other. If you have a hen that is mild tempered you can put her with the new chicks to bond and then she may protect them as well.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »
Yeah I don't mind raising some for you, doing 9 or 10 can't be any more work than 4 or 5. You ok with barred rocks? I've read they are broody and great layers

I just want some broody chickens.  The website above says they are "infrequent" as far as being broody.  I don't personally know one from the other, but was thinking about going with Cochins based on what Bone said above.

Offline weathergirl

• Longhunter
    • Kelli Fisher (Kelli Fry Lynch)
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 08:58:49 PM »

I just want some broody chickens.  The website above says they are "infrequent" as far as being broody.  I don't personally know one from the other, but was thinking about going with Cochins based on what Bone said above.

I would bet money on a barred rock NOT being broody.  I glanced at the website and several that they have listed as broody, we have never once witnessed to be broody.  The only ones we've ever had that have been reliably broody are our banty ameracauna and our silkies.  Once we had a silver spangled hamburg sneak off and hatch six chicks, but that was unusual for us.  We've only ever had a couple of cochins, so I can't speak about those.  Sometimes birds will sit for week or two, and then seemingly give up (leaving some yucky eggs behind).

As for introducing chicks, I think we are similar to turkeyfeather.  After the brooder, they go to the coop in a section where they are separated by chicken wire, but still near the grown-ups so they can start getting used to each other.  Then when they are maybe 2.5 to 3 months old, we let them mingle together and see what happens.  We've never had any serious problems.  Sometimes the older ones will harrass the young ones a bit, but that's the pecking order being established.

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
Chicken questions
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
Ok thanks for the input. Now I just don't know what kind of hens to get... Banty means they are small doesn't it?

I'd really like to get some Americanas, or however you spell that but broody is my number one goal, with good egg production closely behind

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
Yes, bantys are small.  They can probably fit five or six regular sized eggs under them. 

The conundrum you are in is that through the years, and especially since electric incubators have been developed, chickens have been breed for high egg production or good egg to feed ratios rather than being good mommas.

You might have some luck with some of the more traditional/old breeds as they often seem to have their instincts more intact.  Also, when you decide to let the eggs sit, remember that a hen chicken, just like a turkey, will lay a bunch of eggs before actually sitting on them.  So, just because you see four or six eggs in a nest w/o a hen on them doesn't mean she won't set when she is ready.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
The website says that Americaunas and some other breeds get broody.  Perhaps we should just get 5 of a couple breeds and split them hoping we can each get a broody chicken or two?

Offline EatMeat

• Tracker
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
We have owned a mix of breeds over the years. I think my best broody hen was a Brahma. She had the feathers on her legs and feet.

Barred Rocks are in my opinion the most attractive.

The Rhode Island Reds and Sex Links are very social. They like to be close to the kids and myself (hoping we will feed them)

Maybe get a variety of breeds to increase you chances of getting a good broody hen.
Fresh meat. Learning the proper etiquette for hunting as I go.

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »
We have silkies, americaunas, and barred rocks(all banties of course) and the americaunas are by far the most broody. The barred rocks are the least, and they also seems to lay fewer eggs than the other two breeds.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline black hog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »
we have buff orpington hens and they sit well and hatch eggs

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal