collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Online Hunters ED work alongs / books resources etc  (Read 2442 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Online Hunters ED work alongs / books resources etc
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »
My 10 year old girl needs to complete her hunters ED - the instructors in my area are promoting the online course/field day route.  I don't know if there will be the formal class room study in the near future.

What online resources have you folks used and how did you like it?

I found the one at:
http://www.hunter-ed.com/washington/index.html
Once you pass you pay $19.50, get your certificate of completion which will allow you to sign up for a field day which must also be passed.

I clicked a lesson and found it pretty dry with not a lot to keep a child's attention.  Also I found a timer that doesn't allow you to simply hit <next> and fast forward through the lesson  :chuckle:

Anyone have a link or way to get this stuff in paper book form?

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Re: Online Hunters ED work alongs / books resources etc
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »
Did you look at the schedule for traditional classes online?  I personally think a traditional class would be far better for a 10 year old.  However, if you absolutely can't get a class and you still need a book the regional game dept office might have hard copies of the booklet.  I got a free one about 6 months ago just to have around.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:09:11 PM »
I booked a traditional class in Colville WA.

I heard the instructors there are pretty hard core, we'll see.

Offline NoBark

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
Glad you found one nearby.  Remember, no matter how good we instructors are, after the class is passed YOU are the one hunting with the new hunter.  Most Firearm related incident victims are someone IN THE PARTY of the shooter.  That's gonna be you and not us.   

I say that, only to say....what we start in the classroom is up to you to follow through on every single time you go afield.  I wish you and your daughter the best!   Great memories lie ahead for you guys.  Make them count.

P.S.  don't forget to thank the volunteers instructors...they  are simply trying to give back tosomething they love.

Jim

Offline wiremonkey

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
I am also looking into the on-line course for my son.  :tup: I hope it works out to be a good lesson. The only book form material I readily know of it what they gave out for the Master hunter course 7-8 years ago. This book is called the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education book. I see it on Amazon for about $32. It is a very good book with great illustrations to help explain.  :twocents: My son will be reading this along with the on-line course. I would recommend it as it is the only thing I have found. Good luck

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal