collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: completely caping a moose  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
completely caping a moose
« on: September 27, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »
I have removed the skull from a few bears and a couple mountain lions. Would doing the same with a moose be that much different? I am not sure I want to pack the whole head (assuming I kill a moose) out of the mountains. Do you have any special tips on getting the hide completely off of the skull? I have heard that one must be particularly careful when working around the antler bases. Could someone give a more detailed description of how to completely and properly remove the hide of a bull moose from its skull and also how to remove the antlers from the skull? I have removed deer antlers from their skull before but not for mounting purposes and want to make sure I get enough skull to ensure that the antlers do not cause the skull to crack. Thanks, Brian.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: completely caping a moose
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 06:19:08 PM »
removing the skull cap is a tough business.  I packed out two full heads and skull capped the alaskan moose.  I used an ax.  Yep, had to swing like I was cutting a piece of wood.  Don't miss.   Most saws aren't made to ct moose antlers,(little gerber saws).   Don't be afraid, they are pretty heave skulls.
about, more
I caped two out in the field and brought one back to camp.  It just takes time.  Remember their snout is about 3 feet longer than an elk.  Have a knife sharpener handy.  Its not so much around the antlers that you have to worry about.  More around your lips and nose.   their nose is not something you can imagine without seeing.   If you do want the cape, eave that to a taxidermist, splitting the lips and nose and such.  Its complicated and requires a good hand and a sharp instrument.    Rememeber that Idaho and Washington require teeth.  Either know whcih teeth before you are in the field or you WILL HAVE to pack out the whole head as I did.  I caped my Washington moose in the filed with a ton of yellow jackets and blow flies and still had to pack the whole head out because I didn't look ahead at which teeth.  Just for the record, a set of moose antlers, and cape are not light.  I packed it across the swamps and creeks to where the mules were and then had to hump it out of the hole because of grizz issues with the mules.  It would have been alot lighter to skull cap him.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
So for the bunch of us going moose hunting this year could you tell us which teeth we need to keep since you have been there ??  In our case it will be a cow so if we can harvest the teeth and leave the head that would be really nice !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline bowelkin

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:34:38 PM »
The little envelope they should have given you to mail the teeth in has directions on it.  I took a bow saw to take the skull cap off.  Alot easier than carrying out the whole head.
Bowelkin

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 11:21:57 PM »
Saw Saw works perfectly or a chain saw!!!! :chuckle:  Honestly, watch two poached Moose get butchered by a a church organization to feed the homeless.  The guy was a master.  First thing he did was cut off the head with antlers, the roll the animal to it's back split the brisket and then the pelvic with the chain saw, took a knife opened up the belly and rolled the guts out, truck chained up to the moose pulled it away from the mess left behind, then he split right along the spine, chopped off legs and then last cut between the third rib up, wow, ten minutes.......   4 quarters each moose put into the back of the trailer and off they went to hang it and cut it later off the trail...  A bit messy, but he put on a rubber apron, we looked at each other like holly crap the Texas Chain Saw Massacre guy was in town..  Some might state he wasted some meat, not  much..... but when he needs to get them cut up and off hwy where they get most, it works beautifully...  I used a Dewalt Saw Saw on a bison or two......  I'm sorry, your original question, cape the stinking thing..... period, don't haul that huge weight out.....  A real full sized hack saw works just fine...  Not those little itty bitty fold up jobbers...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]