collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washington Governors Moose Tag  (Read 18171 times)

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: Washington Governors Moose Tag
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 10:47:14 PM »
I think 5% goes to the Washington chapter and 5% goes to the national chapter.  The remaining money goes to the State. I'm not positive, so somebody correct me if I'm incorrect.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:08 AM »
Silly people think the money goes to a good cause if it goes to the state..right...the only good I see is 10% that went to the chapters

Offline muzbuster

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
$40K Is it really worth it? I don't think so! IMO
:dunno: Would rather spend 20k & go with Shockey on his Yukon hunt.

Good for you.  Obviously the purchaser his different ideas.
Was not saying he is wrong for paying that much for the tag, just saying what I would have done with that $ if I had that much to drop on a moose tag. Obviously he felt that is what he wanted to do with his money and that's great for him, after all it is his money. Congrats to him, I truly hope he gets a state record or even a world record, that would be awesome to see.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 03:44:19 PM »
Then Shockey gets all $20k. At least this way most of the money goes back to conservation.

Silly people think the money goes to a good cause if it goes to the state..right...the only good I see is 10% that went to the chapters

Other silly people don't know what gets done with the money and just assume they think they know.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline throttlejocky20

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 04:01:21 PM »
I guess its easy for me to say thats too much when i dont have an extra 40K to drop for an animal. Who knows maybee if i was sitting fat like that my opinion might change.
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 07:57:04 AM »
I thought these were a good idea until someone made a really good point to me a couple of weeks ago. If you held a lottery for $20 a ticket and sold 2000 tickets, then everyone in the state would have a chance to win a moose tag and the same amount of money would be generated. It makes sense to me. Why isn't this a good idea?

Hunters with unlimited funds can hunt anywhere. There's no reason this guy couldn't book an AK hunt and kill an even bigger moose up there for less money. Regular guys like me who will probably never get a chance at a hunt like that DO have a chance with a lottery ticket. Just my  :twocents:.

Congratulations to the high bidder, though. :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 08:00:46 AM »
The state does have a moose raffle.  Tickets are about $11 each or so.  In fact, I think there are two moose raffle tags, right?

Offline bugs n bones

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA, SCI
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
2 tags yes :IBCOOL:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »
The state does have a moose raffle.  Tickets are about $11 each or so.  In fact, I think there are two moose raffle tags, right?

So why not raffle all three of the moose tags instead of saving one for the rich? Do we not have enough people buying raffle tags to generate this kind of money?

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against rich people. I'd like to be able to count myself among them one day. However, the North American Conservation Model provides that wild game belongs to all off us, not just the rich, as it is in most of Europe. It'd be one thing if not enough people were interested. But, I think they are and would buy the tickets.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Hawgdawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 08:41:12 AM »
Do you know who won it?

40k is not winning it!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »

The new thing is to spend $30k on raffle tickets though. How does that make things even close to fair for me. At least 2 raffles that I know of last fall were won by guys spending many thousands of dollars. Heck 1 guy bought a tag at auction then won the raffle tag too.
what pianoman is saying....each person buys 1 ticket at $20 each. Then everyone has a fair shake.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »

The new thing is to spend $30k on raffle tickets though. How does that make things even close to fair for me. At least 2 raffles that I know of last fall were won by guys spending many thousands of dollars. Heck 1 guy bought a tag at auction then won the raffle tag too.
what pianoman is saying....each person buys 1 ticket at $20 each. Then everyone has a fair shake.

Was that you that made me see the light on this, Jackelope?

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 08:53:13 AM »
 :tup:  congrats to the high bidder    one lucky dude!!!!

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »

So why not raffle all three of the moose tags instead of saving one for the rich? Do we not have enough people buying raffle tags to generate this kind of money?

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against rich people. I'd like to be able to count myself among them one day. However, the North American Conservation Model provides that wild game belongs to all off us, not just the rich, as it is in most of Europe. It'd be one thing if not enough people were interested. But, I think they are and would buy the tickets.

I'm all for giving everyone a shot - heck, I participate in the raffles but don't see myself buying auction tags anytime soon.  But unfortunately I think the raffle route would have raised a lot less $$, particularly in this case.  With each extra tag you raffle, the incremental proceeds will be less and less because you've already soaked up a significant amount of your demand for moose raffle tickets.  I'm guessing adding an extra moose tag might get an extra $10K in incremental raffle ticket sales, if that.  In this case, we would have lost out on $30K for wildlife by selling that tag through the raffle.  Similarly, for max proceeds with the same number of tags, I don't think you want to just auction all of them either.  If the goal is to maximize proceeds, then we need to mix it up a little and sell through different channels.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 09:17:28 AM »

I'm all for giving everyone a shot - heck, I participate in the raffles but don't see myself buying auction tags anytime soon.  But unfortunately I think the raffle route would have raised a lot less $$, particularly in this case.  With each extra tag you raffle, the incremental proceeds will be less and less because you've already soaked up a significant amount of your demand for moose raffle tickets.  I'm guessing adding an extra moose tag might get an extra $10K in incremental raffle ticket sales, if that.  In this case, we would have lost out on $30K for wildlife by selling that tag through the raffle.  Similarly, for max proceeds with the same number of tags, I don't think you want to just auction all of them either.  If the goal is to maximize proceeds, then we need to mix it up a little and sell through different channels.

All due respects WACoues, from where do you get your data? I think selling another 2000 raffle tickets to give another chance at a moose would sell out quickly. In addition, what would stop the same rich guy from buying as many raffle tickets as he wants, one at a time? Sorry, but I don't think there's any shortage of people buying raffle tickets until I see some data supporting that.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal