collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A week in the mountains...  (Read 8054 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: A week in the mountains...
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 10:54:58 AM »
You know where the main creek is withthe bridge.  I believe you crossed it and then went up to the left a bit before you camped.  Just up from that crossing there was another creek or spring that flowed into the main creek.
I was camped on the first bench before the main creek crossing.  I'll post a pic of it and you might recognize it but it was just out of th ecreek. I wanted to be able to hear bugles and I was close enough to water.  I backtracked that morning and went back outhe trail until it came to the first meadow, then caught the ridge and headed up towards where the big slide was.  He and his harem came out of that meadow in the dark and headed up that ridge a ways before coming tothe bottom of another meadow and dropping off into that creek.  It was fairly open with multiple meadows on it.  It would almost be paralle to the trail with a small ridge inbetween.  I followed right on his ass down across the little creek and up it trying to catch him.  He kept stopping but his cows would keep pressing on.  I could hear him being pissed at them and basically begging me to hurry up and catch up.  I was using my estrous talk.  I saw him several times, but couldn't get him to break away from his cows.  They worked there way up that creek which eventually dried up and headed to the right up on that main ridge just off the top of it to the right of the slide.   Where it pinched down, and the canyon was tight on both sides I had a satellite bull on each side.  I messed up and thought the big bull had pulled to the right and the satellite was to the left.  I climbed up the ridge to the right up tot the top where the big boulders were and ended up staring directly at the head of the canyon at the elk on the face.  AN 06 could have gotten him.  I thought I could go to the head and swing into him, but thats big country.  There was no way I could that face was incredible nasty and even the elk were having a go at it. 

At one time I thought I had him.  I was set up and heard an elk running towards me, while still down in the creek section.  I came to full draw as the elk appeared and it was an overeager spike, and I almost had to kill him in self defense.  He spooked then followed me away, straight downwind barking.  I was afraid he wasn't helping my cause, but thought that might also pull the big bull to me as it was certainly upsetting him.  It didn't help having two satellite bulls on his harem. 
The next day I crossed the bridge and headed towards where your camp was, then crossed the main creek a ways up and was there at light to intercept the big bull if he came off the hill again.  Right at light, not even shooting light really, I heard a bull tearing apart a tree on the little ridge that seperates the main creek and the little creek.  I stalked to within shooting range, and as it got lighter out decided he wasn't quite what I was after.  Then a clone walked out and right in front of me and started beating up a tree.  That was the bull I think Andrew got.   I watched them for sometime, came to draw a couple times and they eventually moved up the ridge.   I swung under them and waited for the heard.  NOT A BUGLE.   I set up and finally started calling.   Thats when I called the wolf in from up the canyon.  I assume that pack screwed them up for the night and it broke up their routine.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »
here was the camp.  behind the camp was  a steep hill then the ridge and big meadow.  Then there was another steep drop tot he creek.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 11:24:38 AM »
Here is some of that gorgeous water he was talking about...and it did taste really good

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
Thats what I thought from the first time you told me...you just concreted it...thats all.. that little ridge between the main creek and the small creek is a good...GOOD spot to be. Thats where "big bull bed" is... I'll get into at least 3 bulls every time I go in there. Love that spot.

Red hill is the mountain on the right as you head up the main creek towards/past my camp...

Of  course, all those names are fictitious...not gonna find them on a map...thats for sure! :0)
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
Thats where the chipmunk picture came from.  Red hill that is, over the side by the springs.  I chased that bull over the top and up that ridge and bailed off the hill right to about your camp probably at dark.  Pretty steep hill and fairly dry, but alot of elk sign on it.  I am guessing that grizzly came off from it on the side facing away from your camp. (where the boys got the bulls)   He had dark horns like the second bull, but quite a bit bigger.

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »
Sounds like you need to go back there and finish business! You figured that area out pretty good in 2 days!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »
I was a little more mobile than I was up Moose creek.  I think I finally got used to the altitude.  Felt pretty good on the way out.  That last hill was probably a biotch with an elk on your back though.

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »
We actually packed the first load DOWN to the little town in the valley while one guy drove around to get us...we then realized that was a CHITTY idea...it was 4:20 with meat on our backs...brutal.

yah...that hill would have sucked with 90# or more...

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 04:47:04 PM »
I was debating in my head which way to go as I was about half way in-between, then I also wondered about ripping that gate out of the ground and driving in half way. LOL  J/K  guys.  I'm not that deviant. 

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »
Great read & pics! Glad you shared it!

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »
heck..you dont even have to rip it out, you can drive up the sage about 300 yards back down the road... I thought real hard about it...but of course...didn't

Offline Backstraps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • eburg dan
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 07:00:39 PM »
Hornseeker, I loved your story and pictures! Looks like you had a great time! :tup:
Book'em Dano

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 07:03:20 PM »
I sure did! Thanks!

Offline hangumhi

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 10:43:54 PM »
Excellent post...thank you!  It appears to remind me of one of those moments I've had where you're truly in the most beautiful country you think you'll ever see and you feel sorrow in your heart knowing that a lot of people will never get to experience that feeling.  I broke my back when I was 17 and I still get around well now but every Dr. I've been to has expressed the same notion that I will be in a wheelchair (or back in a wheelchair I should say) by the time I'm 40...I'm 31 now and I can't walk near as far as I could even two years ago and I wonder...will I ever get to show my boys the places I've seen up in the Pasayten, the Blues, Eagle Lakes in the Martin Lakes region, Mt. Baker wilderness etc.  It makes me real happy to know that others appreciate this country as much as I do!  Thank you again!

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »
Great story!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal