collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1st Annual Salmon for Soldiers Fishing Event  (Read 64142 times)

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
1st Annual Salmon for Soldiers Fishing Event
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »

I just volunteered to assist in a recruitment capability, for both - boat guys and OIF and OEF wounded warrior vets...

Cohoho and Robodad have teamed up and are in for four soldiers in my boat, how bout the rest of you guys....  Lets show them some Huntwa support!  Make sure you let them know where your from if you sign up... 

The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle is presenting the 1st Annual "Salmon for Soldiers" fishing event in Everett, Washington on Saturday, August 10th. What better way to say THANK YOU to our young wounded veterans than to spend a great day fishing with them on the Puget Sound.

The forecast calls for a record run of pink salmon to the Puget Sound this summer and August is also a great time to hook into a king salmon or perhaps an early silver salmon. Fish will be caught, these young soldiers will smile, and you'll get to meet some of America's genuine war hero's.

We expect as many as 130 wounded veterans from Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom to participate in the event and we need boats, boats, and more boats to help the cause. You can be responsible for putting a smile on these young soldiers faces, many of whom have been wounded in combat and are now trying to put their lives back together here at home.

Here's the "Salmon for Soldiers" schedule for August 10th, 2013:

6:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. - Check in and Boat Assignments
 6:30 a.m. - 173rd Airborne Association presents the American Flag, Pledge of Allegiance
 7:00 a.m. – FISH ON!
 3:00 p.m. – Check in, BBQ, and Raffle

Where - Everett Marina 10th Street Boat Launch and Bayside Marine

In association and cooperation with Project Healing Waters, The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and The Outdoor Line on 710 ESPN Seattle

Sponsored by
 Griffin Maclean Insurance, Lamiglas Fishing Rods, Daiwa Reels, Sportco/Outdoor Emporium, Prince of Wales Sportfishing, Kvinsland Dentistry, The Outdoor Line, Beau Mac Enterprises, and Bayside Marine

Participating Organizations
 Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Project Healing Waters, Warrior Transition Battalion, Washington State Veteran’s Centers, Chapter #16 of the 173rd Airborne Association

As many as 130 O.E.F. and O.I.F. wounded veterans and their caretakers will be participating in this event and boats are needed. To volunteer your boat, time and fishing gear to this great cause, or if you know a wounded warrior that would like to go out, please contact Randy Shelton at 425-330-0415 or by email at cabincreekadventures@yahoo.com.

This is going to be a great event 

Salmon for Soldiers Contact Info
 Coordinator
 Randy Shelton
 425-330-0415

Offline Cap.Silver

• My love is the outdoors
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • If not fishing then hunting
Re: 1st Annual Salmon for Soldiers Fishing Event
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
Wishing that I could help .....but I'm not here on the 10th. Good luck guys ..........
Everyone thinks that I'm freak ,I don't look different do I ?

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »
Helping out a fellow disabled vet is right about at the top of my list of favorite things to do, combine that with fishing, another of one of the greatest activities in all the land and you can bet I'll be there. I'm really looking forward to being a part of this as you might be able to tell !!

Thank You Cohoho for volunteering your time and boat to a worthy cause and also for inviting me to participate, should be a great day for those who sacrificed everything so we can do the things we do !!  :salute:

Do you know if they are looking for more sponsors or prize donations or t-shirts etc...?

**Note** In case you don't know what OEF/OIF stands for in Cohoho's post above !!

An acronym that refers to the conflicts in Afganistan and Iraq. Specifically, OEF/OIF refers to "Operation Enduring Freedom" and "Operation Iraqi Freedom."
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »
Yea, thanks for identifying that about OEF and OIF wounded vets, just natural to use acronyms for me.   Regarding sponsors not sure, but will ask tomorrow.  But I would bet anything they wouldn't refuse prizes to hand out at the end of the derby.  We are now entered as Team Cohohos, sorry had to do it... :chuckle:  Since I got new boat decal being made for the hardtop and back to dubbing the boat as the Cohoho, I better officially mark it.  Now really it should be Cohoho II as the original Cohoho is "legendary" in AK.  Cohoho II can't begin to have that many fish or dead critters in the boat ever!

One of the pictures I lost on my hard drive was it with 110 salmon (granted they were reds, not silvers) on the floor boards....  (For the internet Police it was in AK - we could legally dip net)   :tup: :tup:

Anyhow guys if you have a wounded warrior friend, relative, co-worker, get them to sign up...  If you got a boat and want to give something back to the great hero's then volunteer the ride for couple of the guys..  Little things like this go a long ways to their recovery, appreciation and outlook.

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
I just talked it over with Rippette and we put it on the calender. Sign us up as Team Ripper, or is it better to by the boat name? We just named the boat Xanguinator. The medical term for bleeding out is to exanguinate. Rippette is a nurse and came up with it. I thought it was perfect, since Jack the Ripper was an Xanguinator.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
First off, thank you for volunteering your time and efforts. I am very interested in helping if possible. My boat is an 18 foot North River Seahawk. It is a deep vee and very Puget Sound friendly. Also, I have plenty of gear and experience to feel that I can manage a few humpies. Due to boat size I usually only have myself and two other adults on board. Four adults can be done but it is a tight fit when fish start biting. My concern would be not knowing what type of physical limitations a man or woman may have and how that might hinder their experience or compromise their safety aboard a smaller boat. If I can contribute are there considerations made to try and match up boats and veterns to make sure we can accomadate?

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »
H2O,  You need a bigger boat!  :chuckle: I think you will do fine, way cool to volunteer.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »
I'd be interested but can't afford the boat ride to Everett, also don't know the area.  Does anyone know if Anacortes would work for a pick-up point to fish San Juan Is.?  I'll have either the Alumeld 19' or 21' Trophy, depending what the needs are.  I'd prefer the Alumaweld as it uses a lot less fuel.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I'd like to....need to get just a few more details....it sounds like a great time and I'm just across the trestle...plenty of humpy gear...just ask Mark436.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »
Is this a derby type deal or just get out and catch some humpies?

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
This will be a fun event, I have already talked to them about mooring FISH 4 FUN and the wife and I already have a room at the Inn At Port Gardner for Friday night.  We should have a little meet and greet for the Hunt Wa boats.
The wife and I signed up to take 2 soldiers in the sled with us.   :tup:

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »
Is this a derby type deal or just get out and catch some humpies?

I don't think this is a derby, just a catch some Pinks and have a good time day.

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
Fun day to get the wounded vets out on the water for fishing and good times. 

You have to register with Randy at:

Salmon for Soldiers Contact Info
 Coordinator
 Randy Shelton
 425-330-0415

Let him know how many soldiers and what limitations you can deal with. i.e. if you have wheel chair space or not.  It isn't a contest of that sort just a time to share, listen and enjoy their company while you get to share yours..    Sometimes they will have their sponsor or caregiver with them - but that person is going to fish too as a part of the program.  But it will be a big event for sure.....  Randy will have all the spots figured out and be able to assign warriors...  It really helps these guys heal both physically and mentality when they are exposed to activities like this.  No matter you contribute, it will be a good time!...  So please get a hold of Randy and let him know you are from Huntwa and lets bring  alittle representative action from here.    Maybe a meet and greet that night would be great.   :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
I'll check the schedule and see if I can contribute a boat.

Offline cohoho

• Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
I'll check the schedule and see if I can contribute a boat.
This will be a fun event, I have already talked to them about mooring FISH 4 FUN and the wife and I already have a room at the Inn At Port Gardner for Friday night.  We should have a little meet and greet for the Hunt Wa boats.
The wife and I signed up to take 2 soldiers in the sled with us.   :tup:

Excellent, I'll see about getting a room there myself versus driving up at 0300hrs...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal