collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to hunting  (Read 15684 times)

Offline RoyBoy

• The Buck Creek Kid
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: "Coyote 5.0"
Re: New to hunting
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 01:06:32 PM »
you came to the right place to start. looks like they got it covered  :hello:
"It aint about how hard you hit. Its about how hard you can hit and keep moving forward! how much you can take and keep moving forward!!

-Rocky

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
A well trained hunting dog will make it more fun and you will find more birds.  But if you don't have one, don't let that stop you from getting into the sport.  Ask around on here at the start of the season.  I'm sure someone would let you tag along with them if you promise to respect their direction and only take safe shots.  If that doesn't work look for a guide who can take you out on wild birds.

You could spend 10k in this sport just to get started.  My recommendation is to pick gear that is well recommended, durable and cheap.  Expect to upgrade as you get into the sport and keep the old stuff around for when your friends want to join you.

:yeah:

This isn't bad advice.

There are also shooting preserves in the state that you can go to. They're often put and take operations where they plant birds for you and many have a handler and dog(s) that can go out with you for a little extra. Kind of gives you the whole picture.

Hold in mind though that not all bird hunting is the same. Pheasant, chukar, grouse, quail...they all involve differing techniques and the terrains are drastically different. You might like one type more than another. Rock climbing (chukar hunting) isn't for everyone and not everyone likes walking clear cuts with a fast moving dog (grouse). Try them all if you can.

Regarding dogs though, you will do yourself a huge favor if you attend some hunt tests and field trials. Check out both flushing and pointing dog events. They will give you an idea of what the different breeds are like and also what is possible with a dog. You might make some good aquaintances as well.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 09:49:49 AM »
You need a good quality leather boot for bird hunting. An 8 inch height is about right and you'll want a gore tex lined boot.  I prefer non insulated. When hunting birds you're always walking so you shouldn't get cold. For duck hunting you'll need chest waders.

don't buy anything without goretex or some type of proven liner.

if your hunting the west side for pheasants you really can't beat Muck boots... don't wear nice leather hunting boots to some of our release sites .

An 18 inch barrel might work good for quail but that's about it. With quail you have to shoot really quick and the shots are usually really close, so a short barrel works well. But still, I would want at least 24 inches.
If a 18 inch barrel is threaded for a choke ( are they?) it really wouldn't matter what species you are after. if you shoot steel shot it really wouldn't matter for pheasants if it was choked at all if you kept the shots under 30 yards.

I'm thinking about a Remington 870 Express Combo 12 ga with light loads #8s.

Thoughts?

Nothing against the Express models, I own one and for what it is it works. But you'll get a better gun if you drop a little extra money and buy an 870 Wingmaster (not to mention higher resale value).

good advice. just be careful buying used ( only choice in wingmasters) many remington wingmaster cannot handle steel shot. I wouldn't consider a gun that couldn't digest steel if it were to be my only one.

You could spend 10k in this sport just to get started.  My recommendation is to pick gear that is well recommended, durable and cheap.  Expect to upgrade as you get into the sport and keep the old stuff around for when your friends want to join you. 

or you could buy durable and quality that way if you decide you hate hunting you can sell it and recoup most of your money. if you buy cheap/ poor quality stuff much of it will make your tiime in the field less enjoyable and you wouldn't be able give the stuff away when you are done with.
personally I am way too poor to be able to afford cheap gear.

Regarding dogs though, you will do yourself a huge favor if you attend some hunt tests and field trials. Check out both flushing and pointing dog events. They will give you an idea of what the different breeds are like and also what is possible with a dog. You might make some good aquaintances as well.

:yeah: X's a million. this is probably one of the most solid pieces of advice I have read on this website in regards to dogs.
do all your research BEFORE you go dog shopping.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
If a 18 inch barrel is threaded for a choke ( are they?) it really wouldn't matter what species you are after. if you shoot steel shot it really wouldn't matter for pheasants if it was choked at all if you kept the shots under 30 yards.

True, the length of the barrel has little effect on the actual ability of the gun in killing birds, but most people will shoot much better with a 26 inch barrel versus a 18 inch. I said it would be ok for quail because with quail you're mostly taking snap shots, with 20 yards being a long shot and as close as 20 FEET being just as likely. For that type of shooting you don't need to worry much about leading a bird, and following through.

How often do you see skeet or trap shooters using an 18 inch barrel?

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »

True, the length of the barrel has little effect on the actual ability of the gun in killing birds, but most people will shoot much better with a 26 inch barrel versus a 18 inch. I said it would be ok for quail because with quail you're mostly taking snap shots, with 20 yards being a long shot and as close as 20 FEET being just as likely. For that type of shooting you don't need to worry much about leading a bird, and following through.

How often do you see skeet or trap shooters using an 18 inch barrel?

I agree whole heartedly ( even said so earlier in this thread) im just trying to separate the pepper from the fly chit. personally I feel that within reason the longer the barrel the better off you are even when you are supposedly snap shooting... because there will be a time when grouse or quail hunting that you will need to give the bird a proper lead. also I feel weight balance and fit are just as much a factor in snap shooting and short stubby barrels really don't do you any favors at all... but I was going to spare the newbie all that hot air. :tup:
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline dmv9

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
I've been doing some investigation. Any thoughts on a Mossberg 500 vs a Remington 870?

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
I've been doing some investigation. Any thoughts on a Mossberg 500 vs a Remington 870?

Do you prefer Budweiser or Coors?

I'll take the 870 every time, but I know guys who love their Mossberg's, including some vets of Iraq and Afghanistan. Don't overlook the Browning BPS or Benelli Nova either. Just keep in mind that heavier guns get REALLY heavy when upland hunting. 7 lbs doesn't sound like a lot but...

Offline elk247

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
X2. 870 every time.

Offline jennyfell55

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »

It's basically the Chevy vs. Ford debate. You'll find fierce defenders on either side of the fence. I went with the Mossberg, because for me I like the safety being on top of the tang. It feels much more natural to me. I also like that the shell elevator's default position on the Mossberg is up, so I can load and unload from the bottom without risking getting pinched.

Have you had a chance to handle models of each and see which feels better to you?

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
remington's quality control has really been lacking for the last decade or so. but I still think an 870 is a better gun for the  money if only for the fact that they aren't expensive to begin with but they really hold their value. mossbergs, not so much.

an 870 will outlast a mossberg by several thousand rounds. replace a few parts and you are back in business. the 870 is really one of the most durable guns made for its price point.

― Jim Harrison

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
870's are reported to be the most owned gun,the racking of the slide is unmistakeable in the dark and just that sound alone has more than likely sent more than a few intruders retreating.With so much volume an early version where quality control was tighter can still be found for a very good price used,watch your classifieds for a "Wingmaster"

I've got an express,bought it for duck hunting 20 years ago,it's not as flashy or smooth as a wingmaster but it always went "Bang",the rough machining on the internals wear lapped themselves in not much time at all.I've field stripped and put it back together in a ditch.They are reliable,easy to find parts for.My buddy had a 500 mossberg the thing was a cantankerous joke and broken and at the gunsmith more than it was afield,he went cheap on the berg and then gave up and bought an express.

The maximum number of shells is 3,that includes the  one in the pipe and 2 in the magazine,the advice on plug building earlier is wrong,the way to go about it is right but the quantity of shells inserted once done is wrong.Your gun would be capable of holding 4 for use if you follow this advice and  you would be getting a ticket if checked.Your plug should be 5 5/8 inches long for an 870.I  just measured my factory supplied plug ,and could only get 2 shells in the magazine of either variety.If the plug thing makes you dizzy you could always just go for a gun that is always legal no matter what, Over under or side by side  :chuckle:

Should you travel to points east like south dakota there are no limitations on the shell capacity for upland game,the most popular local gun in South dakota is a benneli autoloader because they hold 9 shells total.
Shotgun Plugs
Some new guns do not have them installed. If a warden is looking to write a ticket and most are, be sure to double check your gun, some are being sold with no plug installed.

How To Make a Plug
If you can't find a plastic plug to buy, just shorten a pencil or piece of wood dowel as needed until you can only get (3) 2 3/4 inch cartridges in your gun. Then check that you can get (3) magnum shells in the magazine. You may have to shorten the plug a little more, after doing that be sure you can still only get (3) of the shorter cartridges in.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 07:02:20 AM »
   .If the plug thing makes you dizzy you could always just go for a gun that is always legal no matter what, Over under or side by side  :chuckle:

Or a Benelli Ultralight.   :)

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »
   .If the plug thing makes you dizzy you could always just go for a gun that is always legal no matter what, Over under or side by side  :chuckle:

Or a Benelli Ultralight.   :)

not for a nube, you can't appreciate a Benelli Ultralight until you drag around something like an 870 express for a few years.  :chuckle:

― Jim Harrison

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 08:47:28 AM »
Ok guys.... quit with the speeches.
He's new.
REALLY NEW.

start with the basics.
Have you hunted big game before? you said you wanted to start hunting birds, so I'm curious if you've been hunting at all before?

If so, then for any upland birds (pheasants, quail, dove) the gear is about the same as hunting for deer.
I would recomend investing in a really good pair of boots. Something that is warm, and will keep your feet dry. You spend a lot of time hiking around getting muddy and getting seed down your boots while bird hunting.

After that, I would recomend spending all summer at a local trap and skeet club to learn how to use your shotgun.  Once you get one that is.
The more you practice, the better it will be for you in the field you first time.

I also recomend going with family or friends your first time. There is a lot to learn your first year.

If it's ducks your after.....   oh boy. That's a whole nother ball game....  lol.
You're gonna need at bare minimum: Camo from head to toe, and waders. Wether hip bots or chest waders, they are a must. It's tough to go after ducks, if you can't GO after ducks.  :chuckle:

Maybe you should repost some more specific questions.
Like what kind (insert item) should I use and why? There are a million things to learn about bird hunting.

But like I stated earlier....  best thing you can do now, is put in a bunch of practice shooting trap.
If you can bust 13 or so out of 25.... then you got this.

And study the regs. Even last years regs are a good read through, even though they might be slightly diffenert this year.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »
Buy an 870 over the mossberg.
870's are more reliable and MUCH easier to take apart for cleaning.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal