collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: pronghorn  (Read 9857 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
pronghorn
« on: August 13, 2007, 04:49:55 PM »
are pronghorn antelope any good to eat??...i've heard they're good, and i've heard they're not. so, which one is it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: pronghorn
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »
I've only had a couple and I thought the meat from both of them was very good.  My father in law says they taste terrible. 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline wrangler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:31:37 PM »
the summer sausage and jerky is great. iv heard the steaks can be a bit rank....

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:08:36 PM »
It depends! But on what I'm not sure. Some guys say it's better than anything else. The one I killed about 5 years ago I didn't like, and ended up making it all into pepperoni and I think some of it I mixed in with other deer/elk meat for hamburger. But I think I didn't get it cooled down quick enough. I did skin it and quarter it immediately, but then put it in a ice chest in which I think there may not have been enough ice. I don't know. Next time I think I will bring a chest freezer and a generator. Of if not that, take the animals straight to town and get them hung up in a cooler.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:19:09 PM by bobcat »

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »
I'm leaving Sat for my MT antelope hunt... I'll let ya know in a couple of weeks.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 08:45:39 PM »
 :chuckle: Don't forget to take lots of pic's...

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 06:42:21 AM »
It tastes a little like mutton which I don't care for . But it makes great breakfast sausage, and if you like to spot and stalk Antelope are out all day long and a blast to hunt.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 06:48:40 AM »
I eat alot of game.  Most of it I prepare myself, from the filed to the freezer to the frying pan.  The only pronghorn I have had was disgusting, but I didn't have anything to do with the care, and that has alot to do with flavor.  One animal that I think is disgusting and can't eat is Javelina.  Fletch and I bagged ours, and I don't know what he did with his, but I couldn't eat mine.  Tasted just like the *censored* that came out of it, which was mostly prickly pear cactus.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 06:54:16 AM »
I've eaten quite a bit of Montana antelope and they have all been yummy.  Have skinned them out right away and got them cooled down and left them with hide on for 7-8 hours in the back of the truck with 6 other lopes, until we got home.  Near as I can tell they all taste great. :drool:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 12:18:26 PM »
I think is disgusting and can't eat is Javelina.  Fletch and I bagged ours, and I don't know what he did with his, but I couldn't eat mine. 

can't say for sure, but when it looks like a rat, acts like a rat and smells like a rat...must be a rat...

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:48:05 PM »
Rat tastes like chicken...Kentucky Fired Chicken that is  :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 12:53:34 PM »
can i ask, and i mean no negative by this, but i've always wondered what the appeal is in shooting one...why? were you guys there for some other reason?
 :)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 01:07:39 PM »
Antelope are just fun to hunt. They're not usually hard to find, there's plenty of public land to hunt, and the terrain is generally relatively easy to get around in. Plus it's a good excuse to go to Montana or Wyoming. Why wouldn't you hunt them? I don't see a downside.  :dunno:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 01:15:21 PM »
bob...i was talking about javelina.
kind of joking with boneaddict. i really want to take  a pronghorn. i was trying to figure out/decide if iit would be worthwhile to harvest a doe if nothing else, say if my buddy from new york drew a tag and i didn't.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 01:44:27 PM »
First out of state hunt in a terrain I have never hunted.  It wasn't very expensive, not very hard to get drawn for, and as with anything else, they were fun to hunt. Its also usually in February or at a time when most everything else is stagnant, and the bones aren't hitting the ground.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal