collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunters ed class ( Skagit )  (Read 1847 times)

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Hunters ed class ( Skagit )
« on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:25 PM »
O.K So I take my friends son last night for his class and the class was to be booked up but only about 7 students showed up  :yike: After talking to the instructor he thinks people are signing up kids who do not hunt ...basically to disrupt the class So we are not getting new recruitment ...what a waste of time for the instructors ...he also told me that when you take the on line class you have to pay and that is basically to keep you honest and committed to taking the class ...Maybe they should charge something for the traditional class and that may help with guaranteeing participation ...Or maybe not ?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Hunters ed class ( Skagit )
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,115996.0.html

A bill to introduce a $20 fee for classroom courses was introduced earlier this year. The opinion of many members was that it's a "money grab". As an instructor, when we have no shows it is pretty irritating. I don't believe there is any organized effort to disrupt classes, however. We do get students that don't plan to hunt. Where else can you get introduced to and educated about firearms by passionate volunteers for a few measly dollars?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »
I agree.
I seriously doubt there is an effort to sabotage classes. I would think it has more to do with people signing up for more than one class and then not showing up. I also know that signing up months in advance can be tough to do with school, athletics and family commitments.

Offline NoBark

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »
Last night we held a one night class for those who had done the online course.  Out of 35 I think we had 8 no shows.  Don't have the problem with the old school class,  but it's not skin off my back if they have to wait until they can find another class to finish up with.  I'd would prefer to not have 8 people who wanted to come, be unable because the class was full and then have no shows.  Needs a fix I think.

Offline Sagehawker

• Tracker
  • Groups: WFA, NAFA
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »
I lived in Missouri for a few years and was pleasantly surprised to find Hunter Safety offered in the middle school as a regular class.  Kids could choose it for their schedule in 5th grade.  Thought it was fantastic and I volunteered as a guest speaker for the class and shared falconry.
 Of course they also offered drivers ed at school as well.  For what its worth :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Phil Smith

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal