collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bullet drop?educate me  (Read 21886 times)

Offline littletoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • old fart
Re: bullet drop?educate me
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 08:15:16 AM »
I'd like to see that challenge, the only differance, no bench, and they have to shoot thier rifle EXACTLY how THEY have it set up for hunting, with the same gear they use in a hunting situation. No bipod? NO BIPOD.

First shot-no pointers, see how they do on thier own. 12" steel is fine with me, no help with come-ups/drop chart, as is true for most shooters out there right now.

I've shot with experienced shooters to novice, and many is the time I've been amazed at how little the average shooter knows. Its also surprising how many folks just figure because they are men, they can pick up a gun and be some kind of expert, and won't listen to any advice. Others are all ears thirsting for any info that can be provided.

Most shooters don't know how to use a sling for support, body positions most stable for shooting long range. Remember, there is a small game called High Power where slings are the only thing used for support, beside position, iron sights (unless its an "any-any" match),  to 1000 yards. 
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 08:59:30 AM »
good tip on the sling, BUT be careful of which rifle you apply it to. a floated gun with a cheap stock may do more harm then good.

I shoot a ultralight rifle and am scared to get into my sling on long shots...a bit of adrenalin makes me REALLY strong, and my little milk straw barrel is no match :yike:

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »
LT this is with no ill feelings at all.  This is a forum, and I intend no ill will nor do I have a negative opinion on what others say or have said on this topic. 
     My take on the original start of this thread was how difficult it is for a person to be able to shoot at distance (400 yds) when they only have 100yds to practice.  Others were putting in ballistic advice, but the main push was still saying that it should not be one unless a person had the ability to shoot actual ranges.  I just disagree with that basic negative premise.  Now I would prefer a person be able to shoot in real world situations and ranges, but always is not needed to be able to consitently hit at range. 
     Please don't put restrictions and other limitations on what a hunter would really have to use in the field.  You are intentionally limiting their shooting ability to justify your side of the argument.  All good arguments are that way, and I am saying they should be allowed to shoot what they would normally have hunting.  I also very clearly noted it required an accurate rifle, and accurate is .5 or less at 100.  I shoot off a bipod when I can, and have my ballistic chart taped to my stock.  Why take away any advantage a person has to make a one shot kill.  I think limiting my self or reducing my ability is the exact opposite of what we should do.  Please let us not have the argument about using equipment to increase your shooting skill.  If you are shooting a black powder smoothbore musket, era sights, match lit, with patched round lead balls, then you have the ability somewhat to use the equipment argument.  If not then to me it would be hypocritical to speak negatively about anyone else using better equipment to shoot better. 
      Do I think a average shooter could take a rifle with a $50.00 scope, 2-3" groups, unsteady rest, and be able to consitently hit a 12" target at even 200yds?   NO I DON'T, but that was not what I thought the discussion was about.  Again, my offer still stands that within one or two days I could help the average shooter using an accurate rifle hit a 10-12" steel plate at 400yds.  As an exhample for me that would be my zero point with my Elk rifle so even easier.  Worst thing that could happen is two people get to shoot, and maybe both will become better shooters for it.  I am also humble to admit I could not fulfill my belief.  But all I ask in return is the admission a person can learn to shoot at longer ranges by learning at 100yds.   

Offline JoshT

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »
  But all I ask in return is the admission a person can learn to shoot at longer ranges by learning at 100yds.   

You can't learn squat about shooting at 400 by shooting at 100... that's just the facts. Even a moderate breeze (10 mph) will eat you lunch at 400... but does almost nothing at 100. Couple that with a 'theoretical' drop chart (remember now... you can't verify any of the data at actuall ranges)... then, add in field conditions (buck fever... etc.)... and I'd give the average guy (only practicing at 100 yards) about a 10% chance of making a COLD BORE hit on a 12" target at 400 yards.
Strike Hard...
Strike Fast...
No Mercy, SIR!

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 12:42:31 PM »
 :jacked:

While there has been a ton of good info provided the basic question that the fella was intrerested in had to do with sighting in his rifle to hunt mule deer with it.  By and large the gun and bullet he's using are going to be perfectly adequate for killing a deer out to 300 yards if sighted in properly.  At 2.5" high at a 100 yards most likely he (and probably most of us) would not be able in a hunting scenario to shoot the +/- 3" variances out to the point blank range.  Even if the balistic calculation is off slightly, unless he's really pushing the envelope and taking shots well past 300 yards it's not going to make a hill of beans worth of difference.  I'm going to assume he will do adequate practicing and use good jugdement on shot selection and leave it at that.     

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
Intruder..........well said.    :yeah:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »
dblunger-NONE TAKEN! ;)

I'd say, ANY practice, is GOOD practice.

This is to include at ANY range, including your own hallway just dry-firing. A lot can be learned just by doing that, and its very affordable!

My only point was to discourage folks from banging away at game animals, regardless of range.
To be honest, 300 yards is not that far, unless you just don't practice, have an unfamiliar rifle, or what have you.

I guess its about knowing your own limitations, and sticking too it, regardless of how aggravated one might become about the availability of even a shot at an animal. I know what thats like....

Just getting back for the day (Halloween-small children!), been elk hunting, and have heard a few guys that bang away at everything, it kinda puts a perspective on things.
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »
I totally get it.  Just got back from our elk hunt.  Not bad 33% for camp, and if I had brought by rifle to look over the edge we would be 66%.  Stupid as we all know better.  Watched a two point for four days, and then what do you know he has a nasty bloody hip.  Totally screwed and will die because some moron shot him in the ass.  Why......because they looked and shot beyond what they were capable of.  Had they been able to actually shoot at range then they would have been able so to see at at that range.  Am I making a biased opinion?  Hell yes....I passed up a legal spike because I was not sure.  Fu%^&ng as&*^0es who can not leave the trigger alone.  Yes  I totally hijacked the thread but LB because 6 BL's and I'm on a roll.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Today at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Today at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Today at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Today at 08:06:13 PM]