collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4-point rule 117/121  (Read 86345 times)

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
Re: 4-point rule 117/121
« Reply #360 on: February 10, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
Unless they quit using quota for cats and open wolves to de-listing soon it won't matter what point restriction we have.  Pretty frustrated tonight... got off the phone with Uncle who has 2300 acres near the Rustler's Gulch public ground we've hunted for the last 20 years.   3 cats have killed at least 30 deer in the last 50 days.  We've done a winter feeding program every year and never had under 20 deer at evening feeding.  Even with the snow Unk has had a max of 3 deer in.  Saw two wolves as well from the "Diamond Lake" pack and the local warden sounded like he had kittens when told and said "Yeah isn't it great?"   :bash: :bash: :bash:  No snow before the end of the year and a quota enforcement means no hunting season for us next year it seems...luckily I'm working on new spots for my 9-year old's first hunt.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »
There were alot more bucks this year over 4 points this year.But as to seeing that world class deer, i dont think so. Anything with 4 points are gonna be gone .Theres alot of presure on those deer now.It dont matter to me if they change it or not ,i hunted before the rule and with the rule sometimes got one ,sometimes didnt hunting was still fun for me .I know theres always gonna be a number of deer taken out of season ect. I dont feel that bad for youth and seniors cause they get 4 days to shoot any doe they want.But i do think youth and first time hunters should get a any buck tag(people that have never shoot a deer).I just dont think they should make rules that wdfw cant no way enforce.Cause we wont see the diffrence that we should be seeing from it.I guess if there is one deer saved for next year,better than nothing. :)

I agree with you except for the bolded part.  I could never believe that under the current seasons in those units that all those mountain whitetail 4 pt+ will be gone.  Too many escape areas in my opinion.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
Jonathan s u are right im sure there is one somewhere in these game units to much private land/public land mix for them to hide.But years down the road,we might over harvest mature animals and all we will have is a bunch of yearlings if wdfw dont watch what there doing.Im just seeing whats going on around my house and not looking at the huge chunk of land 121/117 combind are.So i might be way wrong.Time will tell.  :)
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline stickbuck

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #363 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:44 PM »
It's easy to make the assumption that over harvest of mature bucks will occur or that a all the mature ones will be gone like you've posted hunter399. Once a buck reaches maturity, the likelihood of seeing him in daylight decreases every year, thus you might think there are fewer mature deer when you're still gonna see those young bucks no matter the time of year. Herd numbers have spiked in a positive direction and it's nice to see a lot more deer as well as more big bucks all over those units. I sure hope this restriction gets extended.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »
Once that buck hits 4.5 most hunters dont ever see a 4.5 yr old hunting and thats not because they dont exist they are smart. Give that buck another year at 5.5 and good luck. I read a stat on bucks over the age of 5 that their chance of being killed by a hunter was under 5% !

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2014, 06:02:57 AM »
Once that buck hits 4.5 most hunters dont ever see a 4.5 yr old hunting and thats not because they dont exist they are smart. Give that buck another year at 5.5 and good luck. I read a stat on bucks over the age of 5 that their chance of being killed by a hunter was under 5% !
I hope the mentality of most hunters that travel to hunt here is not the OutDoor Channel mentality. "All I have to do is hunt 121/117 and I will have my pick of a world class buck."  Between '75, the first year I started hunting and the mid. '90's, there would be nothing but headlights stacked up on HWY 395 the night before season opened, all headed North. After the Blue Tongue out break  the fall of '92 and the hard winter of "92/"93, the hunting pressure has dropped. BTW, the deer season of '92, if you drew a doe tag it was a double doe tag and after the big kill the season of "93 was a double doe tag too. All the deer #'s dropped, the hunting pressure dropped and the endless rolls of headlights went away too. Now with all this talk about the numbers of big bucks the pressure will surly be on the rise. If it was about deer #'s there should be no antlerless tags or hunts at all. One buck can breed a lot of does.  :twocents:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2014, 06:22:25 AM »
rifle pressure has dropped and archery in the last 10 years has increased 400%

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2014, 07:16:43 AM »
I have friends who live there who originally hated the idea but after putting in extra time, hunting hard, and shooting some of their biggest bucks ever, they like the rules now.  Especially during the late hunt.

Offline Shane54

• Hunter
    • Shane molz
« Reply #368 on: May 16, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
I think for mule deer in select areas it should be moved down to 2 point min. I have seen so many brutes and didn't have eye guard. :bash: :bash: :twocents:
Don't fix what's not broken
Republican and proud

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2014, 05:49:52 AM »
I have friends who live there who originally hated the idea but after putting in extra time, hunting hard, and shooting some of their biggest bucks ever, they like the rules now.  Especially during the late hunt.
You are right, but most if not all who live here agree it should be lifted for youth, disabled and seniors.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2014, 05:56:04 AM »
If the deer population was in that bad of shape then all doe hunting should be done away with. With late archery a hunter hunts those big bucks doesn't get one, the tag is filled w/a meat doe.

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #371 on: May 18, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »
If the deer population was in that bad of shape then all doe hunting should be done away with. With late archery a hunter hunts those big bucks doesn't get one, the tag is filled w/a meat doe.

I would have preferred to have seen no doe for the late archery, we would have had an even faster recovery. But that wasn't the way they did it. In the areas I have been turkey and bear hunting the deer numbers are definitely rebounding from a few years ago in 121 and 117.

I hope WDFW is collecting solid data so that we can compare other area units with 117/121 after the 5 year trial is completed.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]