collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Q about German Shorthair  (Read 8835 times)

Offline Yummy and Tasty Animal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Q about German Shorthair
« on: October 22, 2008, 05:04:48 PM »
I was reading up on German Shorthairs because I'm interested in getting one and one source said that they are great for retrieving ducks in the water as well as pointing while upland game hunting.  I want a dog that can do both, but didn't think that one existed.  I know they can point, but are they also good at retrieving ducks in the water?  Another question I have is: How are they in cold weather since they have such short hair?

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Q about German Shorthair
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
I have heard some will swim, some will not. Mine LOVES to swim. Sadly, I haven't got any real duck retrieves out of him (havent taken him), just dummy retrieves out of the water, but he does great on those. He does get cold kind of easily, and I don't know that I would feel ok taking him out in harsh weather, even with his neoprene vest.  :twocents:

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »
Do you know of any breed that is a great pointer and water retriever, or do I have to settle for one or the other?

Offline merlo105

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »
Weimaraner's are excellent pointer's and retrievers. They with stand the cold with out question. German shorthairs are also a very good dog, German wirehair's are pretty dang good. So yeah just depend's on what kind of country your gonna hunt what kind of water your gonna hunt and what do you expect from your dog's...
Will hunt for food

Offline jollyskwala

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »
I have a GSP pointer who is a good upland dog but will not swim. Just doesn't like it. I know of 2 wirehair pointers that are great on ducks and upland birds. I also know 3-4 Labs that are great upland bird dog and waterfowler's. I hunted behind those labs a few times and they are great. Good Luck.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:49:19 PM »
Maybe look into a pointing lab?  :dunno: Have heard good things about them.

Offline Shannon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »
The Pudelpointer and the Wirehair are probably your best pointing dogs that are good cold weather duck dogs. Pointing labs just can't cover the same ground all day long like the pointers can on average. There just not built for it. How many 250 pound guys do you see running marathons competitively? They have there place though. Kind of depends on you and your style. Good luck in your choice.
Shannon

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:13:05 PM »
i think i'm just gonna go with a retriever

Offline oneezreiter

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 04:34:40 AM »
A pointing lab would probably do you well but you may want to look into a viszla.  They are great all around dogs.  Depending on where you hunt and the water temp.
Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners." 

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 05:50:12 AM »
You should contact John Greer in Ellensburg. He specializes in breeding pointing Labs. He guarantees them to point.  John is a great guy and an incredible trainer. He trained my GSP and now she is a real pleasure to hunt with. If you really want an incredible dog get one of his pups and then have him train it!

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 06:06:00 AM »
both of mine loved to swim. we would be fishing and cast our bobber and line out and the dog would swim out, and bring back the bobber. we thought it was pretty cool till she got hooked in the ear.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline ABMGENERAL

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:58:43 AM »
German WiredHairs is what you need, I have several buddys with these dogs and they are the best all around. Call Coy Moore over in moxee and check his dogs out. i have several friends who have his dogs and they excel at both.

i have been hunting for the same dog you describe and i have decided the GWP is it.

the GWP's bloodline is oold, established and they hunt, retrieve and swim automatically, Rainier 6 month old GWP is crazy birdie hunts his ass off, isn't gun shy, jumps in the pool and swam with us last weekend amd is the best inside family dog i've seen.

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 07:43:12 AM »
I have had both and the shorthair was awesome on uplands but I think they would get too cold in the water. You can't go wrong with a lab. I feel the lab is probably the most versatile dog to hunt with.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
A GSP would get too cold in this climate to retrieve ducks.

Can't go wrong with a lab for upland and ducks........(unless you get one like mine; he didn't have the patience for duck hunting, but he loved hunting upland birds).

GWP seem like great dogs.

For upland and waterfowl, the top breeds in my mind are 1) Boykin Spaniel 2) Labrador 3) GWP

I'm very partial toward labs since those are the only dogs I have had, but if I get another dog I'm going to consider a Boykin or GWP. 

Labs tend to range out a little farther and if you get a running pheasant you have to be really be able to run to keep up sometimes (unless you get a pointing lab).  The older I get, the harder it gets to keep up with the dog running down a pheasant.  But a lab would be the best of the three at being able to duck and goose hunt.

Boykins tend to hunt really close, so if a flushing dog is something you like, they make a lot of sense.  With Chesepeke Bay Retreiver lines in them, they are able to handle cold weather fine.  They are smaller than labs, so they would be easier to fit in your duck boat with all your gear.

GWP - very similar to GSP except they have the hair to help keep them warm in colder weather.  And I think their hair would be better in the stickers, briars, and brush than a pointing lab.  And they are so ugly that they are cute......if that makes any sense :P.

There's my  :twocents:

p.s. - there's always individual dogs that are exceptions to these generalizations which is one reason why dogs are so cool............ :hello:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 01:55:33 PM »
And if you want to try something really different  :chuckle: you could hunt with a standard poodle.

Ours loves waterfowl and upland.  He points, flushes and retrieves.  Best of all he did all of this almost completely naturally.  You definately get noticed when hunting with them. ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal