collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pheasant Release Sites are a Joke....  (Read 19802 times)

Offline Rainier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Pheasant Release Sites are a Joke....
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 01:02:21 PM »
I've found release sites are really good for the pup and mid week they can be a nice close escape.  Granted they aren't the same as hikng up a mountain but it is nice to get out and do somethin, especially since you usually get a shot or two and some delicious dinner  :IBCOOL:.  And as i said before the dog LOVES it so the more i can get him out the better.   :twocents:
If the river was whiskey and i was a duck, i'd dive to the bottom and never come up.

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 02:11:49 PM »
I go to the one that is just across the road from my house, but only to get my dog into some birds, and I only hunt the afternoons. Most people only hunt from 8 a.m. to around 10 a.m. anyway. Give the afternoons a try. It's a lot more like real hunting then.

+1
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline backwoods_boy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
last year i went to cherry valley and to stillwater about 15 times and we got birds up almost every time.
i agree its not hunting but its a ton of fun to watch my buddys dog work.
and yeah its good practice.
and you cant beat the excercise.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 09:31:58 AM »
I don't know guys, I see them as a real good thing.  The Shillapoo wild life area has two release sites down here in Vancouver.  There are  lots of people who would not consider themselves "hunters" if this area did not exist.  We need as many people to be "hunters" as we can, they may even catch the hunting bug hard and eventually get good at it.  They may even find there way here (to hunting-washington.com) where you all can guide them in the right direction.  I have seen a lot of old guys out there with there old dog that probably couldn't make it out to where you guys are talking about "real hunting".  I look at those old guys and think "it beats the hell out of golfing!"  Took my two year old daughter out to the release site just to get her into the whole thing.  She kept saying "we are hunters, right dad?".  Of course I told her "yep we sure are", even though we never made it more than a half mile from the parking area and all we saw was frogs.  There was only two other cars in the lot so I wasn't to worried about getting peppered.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 09:48:30 AM »
I don't know... I always wonder how much $ goes into raising birds, managing the land, etc, etc.  If they were to spend that money on habitat, cooperative efforts w/ private land owners and such, would we be getting more bang for the buck? 

The sites do seem like an OK thing in respect to training, introducing kids to hunting, or access for older folks.  They, however, don't compare in any way, shape, or form to hunting wild roosters.  Dogs that only exposed to pen raised birds will often get totally worked by wild birds... as do their masters  :chuckle:

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »
I don't know... I always wonder how much $ goes into raising birds, managing the land, etc, etc.  If they were to spend that money on habitat, cooperative efforts w/ private land owners and such, would we be getting more bang for the buck? 

The sites do seem like an OK thing in respect to training, introducing kids to hunting, or access for older folks.  They, however, don't compare in any way, shape, or form to hunting wild roosters.  Dogs that only exposed to pen raised birds will often get totally worked by wild birds... as do their masters  :chuckle:

yeah must be quite a bit of money my pheasant tag was $40 for 8 birds.  Hopefully that cover the cost to buy them from ranchers.

Offline guyg

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »
Look, I don't know why we just have to have one kind. Now, it's release sites, and over here the birds don't last 48 hours. Why can't we have release sites, and wild birds?  Why must WDFW manage everything, fish, birds, everything, for hatcheries, and ignore wild stuff....?

Offline clindsayrun

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »
I would rather get out to a release site that not get out at all. And I know for sure that my dog would. Besides, it's not like you're going to find a wild pheasant over there. I come out to the release sites on the eastside for the same reasons. It's a great way to kill a couple hours and be virtually guaranteed a couple of birds. And usually I'm out there alone.

You know what's funny.  I grew up in the Skagit Valley and have hunted all of the different public hunting areas. I have met hunters from all over the westside driving up to hunt.

In college my brother and I used to hit Cherry Valley and Stillwater a few times a week. I can't tell you how many times we were the only one out there or just another couple of guys.  We also always got our birds.

Why drive all the way up to Skagit to hunt elbow to elbow when you can stay down south and have a unit to yourself.

Just an observation.

Offline Hermit

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »
I go up to Smith Farm on opening day just for laughs....... People fight, chase each other, shoot each other, scream, yell, swear ect. It's really pretty funny as long as you stay back and just watch.
The first bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

Offline FrankDown

• Longhunter
  • Natural Renewable Resources
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »
Hey Hermit, you'd like opening day of quail and chukar in southern California then.  Once there werre two guys arguing and one shot his truck with a shotgun.  Everyone (well most) wear safety glasses when they go theres so many people.  The polycarbonate ones are the best as they deflect the pellets better.  One guy got shot in the face with his glasses on, I saw a pic of him and the pattern was nice and tight in his face.  You could see where the safety glasses had been lol.  They were not good for another use after that though.  They dont appear to help too much in a fist fight though. 

People hunt so close to the parking areas that it is not uncommon to have a vehicle peppered when you get back.  I always waited a couple weekends or went where it was not easy to get to (most there wont hike very far from the road whether it be fishing, hunting, or just hiking).  Once you get several hundred yards from the roads youre much safer.  So were the chukar and cali quail.

Offline 12Gauge

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »
If you guys don't like them, that means more for birds for me.
Progressives are coming for your guns. 
What are you going to do?

Well me, I do not have any guns, gave away or sold them 15 years ago.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 03:00:46 PM »
Look, I don't know why we just have to have one kind. Now, it's release sites, and over here the birds don't last 48 hours. Why can't we have release sites, and wild birds?  Why must WDFW manage everything, fish, birds, everything, for hatcheries, and ignore wild stuff....?
good point
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 09:11:51 AM »
SpencerUSMC,

I take a little umbrage to your use of the term yuppie. Mainly because I kind of am one (however, I leave the shorts and girlfriend at home. Know your activity etc.etc.) To me, as a new hunter, I see these release sites being so packed with noobs as a sign that there is a lot of new people interested in the sport. Its funny, I always read on hunting sites and in magazines about the importance of getting new people into hunting, and I think the attitude of a lot of experienced hunters (not to just call you out) is damaging to that.

I assume that you've been hunting for most of your life. But as someone who is new, let me tell you, getting into hunting is WAY more intimidating than starting camping or fishing or boating or skiing or even shooting. New people have NO idea where to go hunt, and if you don't have people to teach you, you will end up at one of these "pheasant farms" because thats where google says to go.

Take it as that you have a lot of potential fellow hunters out there, or at the very least, people who will be supportive of hunters in the future. 

Offline merlo105

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
I dont think that anyone really has a problem with helping a new hunter its the fact that they dont give respect to the people who have been hunting there whole life. Deer hunting sees it the most people trying to invade in a clear cut your glassing just trying to get out in front of you it gets annoying. So there for no ones wanting to care about the new guys in the field.
Will hunt for food

Online Old Dog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »
 :yeah:  I'm from the "wet side", and I've been preaching that same thing for years.  Put the East side release money into habitat, and bring the wild birds back.
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal