collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to Hunting - Rifle Opinions?  (Read 6347 times)

Offline welnet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to Hunting - Rifle Opinions?
« on: October 26, 2008, 09:54:45 AM »
Need a new hobby and after going out with a few people, learning the basics, seems like something I would enjoy.  My only rifle experience (use and maintenance) is with the semi auto M14 (I’m retired Navy, and up to 1999, that was the standard issue on Destroyers) which I was fairly proficient with.  Now for the questions:
1.  Is the Springfield Armory M1A a “valid” hunting rifle, or do experienced hunters consider this an “urban commando” weapon?
2.  Is the 308 Winchester cartridge too much for deer?  Not enough for Elk?
3.  In the very off chance a grizzly decides I’d make a good snack, will a 308 Winchester bring it down, or piss it off?  I understand shot placement, but I also understand shooting under duress at something you aren’t hunting that pops up out of nowhere.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: New to Hunting - Rifle Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:06:06 AM »
Question #1 - I don't know.

#2 - .308 is perfect for deer.  Good for elk.

#3 - No grizzlies in Wa so no need to worry about it.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »
If you dont mind caring the weight of a m1a they make a good hunting rifle :twocents:

The 308 will cut it for most of the stuff around here.

If you do get jumped I'm sure one of the rounds you could get into it with a semi-auto would do it. I have hear of a guy that got charged by a black bear and killed it dead with a 40gr vmax out of a .223 AR :dunno:

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »
Curly,
Double check #3

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »
Curly,
Double check #3

Yeah, I guess there are a few..........I just wouldn't worry about choosing a rifle cartridge for WA in case a Grizzly charges.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »
Go to a pawn shop and find a decent rifle in the 270-300 class, and spend some money on a good quality scope and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE with it at varing distances and you should be good to go.  That way you haven't spent a ton of money. (yet)  Then if you really like hunting you can think about higher quality and multiple rifles.  Because it's a well known fact that when you leave two rifles alone in a dark place (like a gun safe) they will breed!  And before you know it you'll have a safe full of rifles for this and that and anything in between.

Offline Ghost1941

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:48:56 AM »
"1.  Is the Springfield Armory M1A a “valid” hunting rifle, or do experienced hunters consider this an “urban commando” weapon?
2.  Is the 308 Winchester cartridge too much for deer?  Not enough for Elk?
3.  In the very off chance a grizzly decides I’d make a good snack, will a 308 Winchester bring it down, or piss it off?  I understand shot placement, but I also understand shooting under duress at something you aren’t hunting that pops up out of nowhere."

I see why you're partial to the M1A as using an M14 on the ship made you accustomed to it.  But for the BASE price alone of a Springfield 14 you could build a hell of a bolt action rifle in the same caliber or something heavier.  IMO the .308 is a good all around caliber but there's better out there, it's all based on the shooter. 

It also depends on where you're hunting, personally I'm partial to something a little larger if I were to buy a new rifle for deer/bear/elk hunting purposes.  I'd consider a .300 WM or 7mm Rem Mag in a Remington 700 or a Ruger M77. 

The Ruger is a nicer out of the box rifle in my opinion but not nearly as much availability for customization.  The action is based off the Mauser, although the safety has changed locations.  It's easier to remove the bolt, and disassemble it for cleaning purposes than a 700 is... but how often does a hunter clean his bolt? (Watch me catch flak from half of you "Oh oh I clean mine after every hunt" I'd have to call bs. Lol)   

The 700 on the other hand is a good rifle out of the box but so many accessories are available and fairly cheap.  If you were considering the M1A due to magazine capacity, there is a cheap after market kit for the 700 that will give you a 10 round in .30-06 or lighter and 8 rounds in .300 WM.  Decent synthetic stocks from Hogue for under the 100 dollar mark, and then you can go into higher grade stocks with aluminum bedding and all the good stuff.  But you're hunting... who the hell wants to spend 300 dollars on a stock for a hunting rifle?

If you were considering it due to the semi auto, well then a bolt isn't your choice.  Although I've seen guys with a bolt action shoot damn near as fast and 9/10 still more accurate than the auto.

EDIT** Agree with the guy above me as well,  Like I said... Look for a cheaper 700.  No reason to drop 1400 dollars or more on a rifle that won't perform any better than a cheap out of the box bolt at 400-600 dollars.
"Economics is a domino effect--thank god for a steady check from the military! " -Mr. French

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »
A .308 will kill anything you want to in Washington State.  I would not worry about Grizzly unless you are going to Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming.  Then it is just something to keep in mind, not worry about.

I would go with something lighter though, than a Springfield.  After carrying a rifle up and down some of these mtns.  You will wish for a 6 lb. rifle not a 9 lb. rifle.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
I think that it would be a kick in the pants to hunt with an M1.   :IBCOOL:

Offline ABMGENERAL

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 07:11:44 AM »
an M1A is an excellent weapon! I have asked this same question since i love those weapons! alot of guys kill alot of deer and elk with a .308. Ammo is relatively inexpensive for target ammo which should help you shoot that weapon more which should make you a better shot plus you must of put a few rounds down range during your navy time.

It has been recamended to me to use a 5Rd flush Mag in the field, however they are a PAIN IN A$$ to get out since they are flush. you can also put a block in a 10rd which will make it possible to easily remove and install. however with that mag you will want to use a safari or tactical sling obviously.

9lbs is alot of rifle though!! 

Man i love those things!!

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:51:29 AM »
A .308 will kill anything you want to in Washington State.  I would not worry about Grizzly unless you are going to Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming.  Then it is just something to keep in mind, not worry about.

I would go with something lighter though, than a Springfield.  After carrying a rifle up and down some of these mtns.  You will wish for a 6 lb. rifle not a 9 lb. rifle.

+1
.308 is more than adequate to hunt anything in WA.  The only thing you'd really gain by going w/ a bigger cased cartridge is a better long range ability.  Out to 300 yards the .308 is fine and that covers about 95+% of the shot taken.  Don't worry about grizzlies.  On the 1 in a zillion chance that a griz decides to attack you, the .308 will manage him as well as anything else.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »
Go to a pawn shop and find a decent rifle in the 270-300 class, and spend some money on a good quality scope and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE with it at varing distances and you should be good to go.  That way you haven't spent a ton of money. (yet)  Then if you really like hunting you can think about higher quality and multiple rifles.  Because it's a well known fact that when you leave two rifles alone in a dark place (like a gun safe) they will breed!  And before you know it you'll have a safe full of rifles for this and that and anything in between.
well put andd with the econmoy what it is there are some good deals to be had on used guns. JB
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »
I second or third the .308.......great caliber and given the right gun, a pleasure to pack.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 06:55:54 PM »
I use a 308 carbine on all the bears I shot

Offline EastWaViking

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 06:58:44 PM »

#3 - No grizzlies in Wa so no need to worry about it.

A decent number of grizzlies in north eastern Wa.  Confirmed sighting 20 miles north of Spokane a few years back... At my cousins house...stairing in the window.  They got it on video.  I've seen their tracks up around Sullivan lake too.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]