collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bad Situation**RESULTS IN!!**  (Read 14354 times)

Offline jennyfell55

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Bad Situation
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 03:09:24 PM »
Glad ur ok. Now go Get another gun n let's go shoot some birds!!

Pete

:yeah: :tup: So happy to hear it didn't turn out worse! Let me know what you hear from Kent... I'm a little nervous about my shells now!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:20:04 PM by jennyfell55 »

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »
Maybe the shell was a slow burner and went off while it was being ejected? I have had that happen once!

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
I have seen 10 or 15 different wads get stuck in barrels at sporting clay shoots. It happens quite a bit with light reloads, but you can usually hear when the wad doesn't exit the barrel. They have a piece of 3/8" dowel at every station just for hang fires. I have never seen any one shoot a second shot behind the stuck wad though, as most are shooting double guns. Glad you were not hurt any worse than you were.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Johnb317

• johnb317
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
Curious what choke was the op shooting.   
Scary.   Glad your ok

Old enough to know better.
Young enough to go for it.

Offline MC37493

• Hunter
  • Groups: DU,STS, RMEF, Pheasants Forever
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »
Scary for sure glad you are ok and nobody got hurt

Offline hntrspud

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA DU RMEF Washington for Wildlife SVEF
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
Curious what choke was the op shooting.   
Scary.   Glad your ok

Thank you. I was shooting a Remington Mod choke. Stock

Offline Patarero

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
This has me having second thoughts on my kent ammo.  Never had a problem with it, other than it can be a little dirty. Interested to hear their response.

Offline hntrspud

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
I will not give details other than there customer service has been great. Communication is prompt as well.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 04:23:16 AM »
glad to hear you are ok and moving forward. i had problems with kent loads and will not use them anymore. i have friends that swear by them and have nevber had a problem. with as many as they pump out, there are going to be bad ones in the lot. glad to see you are still after it. hope that was an oil experience. good luck, shoot straight

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
Thank god you are alright.

Sounds like another Remington moment. The 870's have had countless problems with shells getting stuck in chambers due to rough surfaces from lack of polishing, I wonder if the problem has migrated further down their barrels or even the chokes? Another reason why I won't buy a remington that doesn't say wingmaster on the side.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »
..........I knew something wasn't right when the shot went almost straight down into the water..........can only assume it was a gun malfunction.  :dunno:

If the shot went to the water, then it wasn't a gun malfunction. It was most likely the shell. If the shot and wad are not packed down onto the powder then there is a gap, and a lot of energy is lost resulting in the shot to come out slow and the wad may not come out of the barrel. If you were to reload a shell leaving a lot of space in the shell, I almost assure you from experience that the wad is going to stay in your barrel even with a cylinder choke.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline MP123

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
So I get out of my sneak boat and we walk to meet each other. He checks me all out and makes sure I am ok. Sits me down in a chair, gets me some water and a cigar.

Thank goodness he brought first aid supplies!  :chuckle: :tup:

Seriously, I'm glad you're ok.  That sounds really scary.

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2013, 05:39:17 AM »
Had this happen to me on a trap range a while back. My shot sounded odd and a guy next to me said he saw my pellets go about twenty yards into the grass. Another guy started yelling at me not to shoot as i racked another round in until i check my barrel. Sure enough, the wad was still in it. That duck season, a buddy of mine had bought a brand new shotgun. He also bought some ridiculously cheap shells.
As a flight of ducks rolled in, his first shot had that same thud.
I yelled at him to ceasefire. Everyone gave me a nasty look, but after he checked his barrel, the wad was still in it.
I like to think i saved his gun and possible injury for a couple of ducks.

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »
This sounds like the first shot left the wad in the choke causing the blow-up. It's quite common. I've seen it at gun clubs I've belonged to over the years either by reloads and even w/factory shells and out hunting. It happens. Most times the shooter or someone next to them realizes the situation and stops the shooter before he/she fires a second shot. Be conscious of this as it DOES happen and could to any of us.
Kent shells: Been shooting them for many years. Great patterning shells. I've had 'duds' from Winchester, Federal and Remington shells besides Kent. Had them from my own reloads too. If you shoot enough, it's going to happen. Pay attention.
I had a Winchester shell shoot the entire plastic hull down the barrel on a Skagit hunt one day. Separated from the brass. It sounded funny so I didn't shoot again. Had to whittle a branch to fit the barrel and drove thru the barrel, driving out the shell with a hammer. Costed me most of the morning but saved my gun.
Taking shells out in the duck marsh time and time again can result in left over shells that have seen a few trips in very wet conditions and can result in 'duds'.
I bought a 1/2" copper pipe filled with lead (fishing weight)(halibut jig maybe) from Sportco a few years back and keep it in my blind bag. Cut the split rings off it and iied a small bright colored cord to the end for finding in the mud after dropping thru the barrel.  Perfect for dropping down the barrel to remove obstructions.
Bottom line - pay attention.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline hntrspud

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
This sounds like the first shot left the wad in the choke causing the blow-up. It's quite common. I've seen it at gun clubs I've belonged to over the years either by reloads and even w/factory shells and out hunting. It happens. Most times the shooter or someone next to them realizes the situation and stops the shooter before he/she fires a second shot. Be conscious of this as it DOES happen and could to any of us.
Kent shells: Been shooting them for many years. Great patterning shells. I've had 'duds' from Winchester, Federal and Remington shells besides Kent. Had them from my own reloads too. If you shoot enough, it's going to happen. Pay attention.
I had a Winchester shell shoot the entire plastic hull down the barrel on a Skagit hunt one day. Separated from the brass. It sounded funny so I didn't shoot again. Had to whittle a branch to fit the barrel and drove thru the barrel, driving out the shell with a hammer. Costed me most of the morning but saved my gun.
Taking shells out in the duck marsh time and time again can result in left over shells that have seen a few trips in very wet conditions and can result in 'duds'.
I bought a 1/2" copper pipe filled with lead (fishing weight)(halibut jig maybe) from Sportco a few years back and keep it in my blind bag. Cut the split rings off it and iied a small bright colored cord to the end for finding in the mud after dropping thru the barrel.  Perfect for dropping down the barrel to remove obstructions.
Bottom line - pay attention.

:yeah:
However, it wasnt the first shot that lodged. It was the second.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]