collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: new waterfowler  (Read 8669 times)

Offline sffguitar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
new waterfowler
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »
hey everyone...this year is my first for going for ducks...IM just gonna try jumpin them this year. I was just wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction for some duck hunting here in washington. I live a couple miles north of seattle...but I really dont care how far the trip is to an area. I dont want any honey holes or spots...just a general direction. thanks.

Offline SpencerUSMC

• Tracker
Re: new waterfowler
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:00:37 PM »
Check out Skagit Flatts.......Jus be ready to get rained on alot, and know the tides. 

Offline sffguitar

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
Thanks...Another question...how is the potholes area for jump shooting?

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »
Pretty tough.....you need a boat for that area. PM sent
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:47:38 PM »
pot holes are very hard to jump shot. try areas that have dikes that run along a river or creek. look for were it eddies and areas that lead into trees. try shallow water. The Pot holes are mostly known for walleye and bass fishing becasue of how deep it is, good fishing though but choclab is right though, if your going to do anything over there you would probably want to bring a boat. now if you are headed that direction and you are interested in hunting over there maybe try quail lake( very small) i recommend getting there before light and just were some camo and see what you see. now if you just want to sort of head that direction or go somewhere different then you might want to try Mesa, WA. there are a couple public hunting spots that are attached to corn fields but between the corn fields are some water areas and i have hunted there several times. very easy to walk in and when you are walking out in the afternoon, be ready to get a pheasant because they are loaded. and they stock the fields with pheasant. good hunting and have fun.

how far north of seattle are you, im in Port Angeles? there is some good hunting north of Seattle......

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »
You could jump shoot the hell out of Crab Creek. It's always good for a couple of mallards, teal, or a blue bill or two. Then you could set up on the end of Lake Lenice. You have to have a dog though. If I were you I would look at the cover page to this site. There is a really good link to a bird hunting site that even gives you a google image. Good luck kiddo and don't worry, Kyle and I will take you out a time or two. Just make sure you have some gas for the boat or a box of Krispy Kremes....LOL
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 07:24:03 AM »
You know what i totally forgot about crab creek, but if you go there i would still hit it early, very early. im not sure what the regs say about fishing crab creek as of dusk season but everytime i have shown up there late. there were already people fishing for fish there. Good trout spot to :) maybe try the yakima area. The yakima river floods all over the place there and it is loaded with spots you could hunt. really good timber so there is alot of coverage. widgeon, mallard, maybe the occasional teal or woody.........

Offline sffguitar

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 10:55:32 PM »
I appreciate the help fellas. hey choc that'd be alot of fun hunting over at potholes...beautiful country over there. anyways thanks a bunch guys....what about snake river? I have a 12 ft aluminum and motor....but I need to get a trailer for it. Id love to set it up for waterfowl...but Ive got other things on my agenda (money wise)

Offline tank

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 07:08:33 PM »
 Guys please help this old fart out.When you talk about crab creek where are you talking about. I've seen maps that show it going into Moses Lake and coming out of O'Sullivan Dam then into the Columbia River. I drove thru the seep lakes this summer and that part of the Creek looked good.

Otto1 things are about wrapped up there and will pick out a new name as soon as the sand has time to settle but it's not over until the last of the paper works in. Been 5 months of clean up and no I'm not going back to work. one more month sick leave and 1month vacation then out.
tank
I spent most of my money on beer and women.
The rest I just wasted.
 occupation-- RETIRED!!
  don't see how I had time to work with so much to do

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 08:42:27 PM »
Tank,

Good fishing and duck hunting can be had on Crab Creek south of Royal City.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 08:49:29 PM »
   one more month sick leave and 1month vacation then out.
tank

good for you! well deserved!!

check out lake terrell your little boat will help you get to the blinds on the islands..decent mid-week hunting, stay away on the weekends unless you dont mind an afternoon hunt......

Offline tank

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 07:30:36 AM »
Thank you I'll make sure I give it a look. I've hunted west of O'sullian for about 6 or 7 years and I've learned a lot. No I'm no good yet but I have learned you don't need many decoys 1/2 dozens ok to hunt the Winchester and Frenchman Hills Waste Ways. Don't need a boat but a float tubes nice when it comes to hunting the ponds off the canals the waters not deep but the bottoms bad. I find a walking stick, sling for your gun, and a dog the most useful. DO NOT USE A TUBE IN MOVING WATER I almost didn't make it that day, 7 deg with waders upside down with my shotgun around my neck. I know more about no no's then I do about hunting.
 I hope to have some news about camping in the area that I can share any day now.

I have found that if your not big on BSing like a long hual truck driver you can learn a lot on a good web site if they start talking down to you or have an attitude move sites,FAST.
 Otto1 and I go back to the beginning of time, I was an old fart trying to learn about duck hunting. He's a good friend to me and all sportsmen. Just don't make him mad, he's turns into the Hulk.
Anyway I have him to thank for getting me to a web site that had people to talk to. This site seems the same, a very good site without the attitudes.
  I don't know a lot but if I tell ya don't try this at home, I have a very good reason :rolleyes:
tank
I spent most of my money on beer and women.
The rest I just wasted.
 occupation-- RETIRED!!
  don't see how I had time to work with so much to do

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »
sffguitar i live in the woodinville/kirkland/bothell area which is pretty close to you!

I head up to lake terrell every once in awhile, we should head up there and ill show you around!!

Offline sffguitar

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 08:14:58 PM »
Hey Casey thatd would be awesome!

Offline coyotemadness

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »
How is the hunting at lake terrell? Thats not too far from me either.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]