collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shotguns... pump? Semi-auto?  (Read 9186 times)

Offline demontang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Shotguns... pump? Semi-auto?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »
You cant go wrong with an 870. My personal 870 has over 1million rounds though it :yike:, and the ones at work probably have double that. The only time I have seen an 870 not work is when it was severely abused, and I'm talking thousands of round though it with out cleaning, thrown in the bed of the truck, rained on, and thrown in the mud for years, and then maybe it would have a mag extension come off, or some thing little like that. :twocents:

O and don't try and do that with a semi it will jam or not even cycle. :chuckle:

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 09:27:50 PM »
Don't discount an over/under.  They swing and point better than most other types, are extremely reliable, allow for a fast follow-up, and are by far the easiest to clean.  The only thing you give up is a third shot. 
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 09:43:04 PM »
I like the original run of the Ithaca 37 feather light, my all time favorite.  But autos have their place, both the Rem 1100 and Browning A5 have served me well.  The Browning friction rings are a bit of a pain though. 

Offline BUX-N-DUX

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »
Hunted with 870 for 3 years, excellent gun, very dependable. If you are buying a pump this one is at the top of the list.  Just bought Mossberg 935 semi-auto, only shot 2 boxes of shells.  No complaints yet, other than the fact that i am still trying to pump it after every shot.  Also have Benelli pump, used 1 season.  Pretty good gun .  Must be personal preference, but why choose, i like having both in the safe.
:mgun:

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 11:34:06 PM »
The Rem 870 is ONE OF the best pump guns ever made.  I love mine.  Had an 1100, loved it too but sold it to buy a Benelli.  I hunt with a Benelli Montefeltro autoloader now, one of the best shotguns I own.  My Rizini O/U is another favorite.  Gave a Mossberg 500 to a relative, another one of the best pump guns ever made.  Another favorite of mine is my Ithica 37 ultralight (bottom eject), the Ithica is another one of the best pump guns ever made.  Then there's my Winchester 1300...considered one of the fastest pump guns made...and my...and....

Love em all...pumps, o/u, auto's.  The only trouble with having all these shotguns is remembering what I'm shooting.  Seriously.  I don't know how many times I've pulled the trigger in the second shot at a bird, only to realize that day I took a pump in the field, and forgot to rack the next shot!  Of the three, I shoot the auto's most because I have a bad neck, and the autos shoot softer, than the pumps or the O/U....that's also why I don't hunt with 12's anymore, aside from the fact that I don't need a 12 gage pattern anymore to take upland birds...

My 870 is the only 12 ga. I have left & it's setup as a combat shotgun.  The rest of my hunting shotguns are 20's.  Gonna start collecting/using 28 gauges next.....

So many shotguns, so little time.... 8)

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 08:20:16 AM »
Was looking at the sales flyer for Cabela's and wonder what are the stregths and weaknesses of a pump vs semi-auto. I've shot a Remington 870 before and liked the feel of it. The Mossberg 835 is the same price. Which would you consider better and why?

Then theres the Remmy SPR 453 and a couple Tristar semi-autos. Why would you take a semi over a pump or the other way around?

Have shot a few pumps, but don't know the pros or cons of them and the semis. Any advice?

Of the guns you listed the 870 is likely the best quality and value.  If memory serves me the SPR guns are Russian made and have had higher than average incidents of problems.  The 835 is OK.  I own 1 but wouldn't put it in the same class as the 870.  Tri-Star are budget guns mostly made in Turkey.  They are going to be similar to quality as the SPR from Rem.

As far as differences between pump and auto the biggest factors are recoil reduction, ease, and speed (cycling) of the autos.  Pumps give you a lil more reliability especially in adverse conditions.

Regardless of style, manufacturer, gauge, etc., the most important thing with a shotgun is fit.  Figure out your budget, take a look at the various guns that fall within it, and then go actually pick em up an shoulder em.  See which one fits you best.  I would dissuade you from buying low end autos and doubles if you're going to fire more than a few boxes of shells a year.  For the 300-500 you'd spend on one of those you'd be far better served buying a higher end pump.  From what I've witnessed (and unfortunately experienced), the money, time, and frustration spent on repairs of the budget guns usually eats up the initial savings.   

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 12:23:50 AM »
If memory serves me the SPR guns are Russian made

Yep, Rems SPR series are made by IZH in Russia.  IZH has been making firearms for a couple of hundred years.  I had a IZH27 O/U in 12 ga., which is the Rem SPR310 O/U.  I think I paid $325.00 new at the time for my IZH27 (I bought it before Rem cut their deal).  The shotgun was built like a tank, indestructible.  I loved it.  It shot well, the only thing I didn't like about it was it was heavy.  I put a couple of thousand rounds thru mine and never had a problem.  IMO it was an outstanding value for the money.  I don't know if Remington has done anything to compromise the original firearm in their deal with IZH, I  doubt it.  Most people look down their noses at these guns, but if you can't afford a Beretta or Benelli, etc., these are great budget shotguns and you're not going to have to worry about whether or not they can take the abuse that comes from hunting, like snow/sleet/rain in a duck blind...no worries...

I know the original question was pump or auto.  Personally I'd take one of these O/U over a pump any day as a hunting firearm. 

Jeff

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:17 AM »
If memory serves me the SPR guns are Russian made

Yep, Rems SPR series are made by IZH in Russia.  IZH has been making firearms for a couple of hundred years.  I had a IZH27 O/U in 12 ga., which is the Rem SPR310 O/U.  I think I paid $325.00 new at the time for my IZH27 (I bought it before Rem cut their deal).  The shotgun was built like a tank, indestructible.  I loved it.  It shot well, the only thing I didn't like about it was it was heavy.  I put a couple of thousand rounds thru mine and never had a problem.  IMO it was an outstanding value for the money.  I don't know if Remington has done anything to compromise the original firearm in their deal with IZH, I  doubt it.  Most people look down their noses at these guns, but if you can't afford a Beretta or Benelli, etc., these are great budget shotguns and you're not going to have to worry about whether or not they can take the abuse that comes from hunting, like snow/sleet/rain in a duck blind...no worries...
I know the original question was pump or auto.  Personally I'd take one of these O/U over a pump any day as a hunting firearm. 
Jeff

I will say I have no personal experience w/ either Tri-Star or the SPR guns.  I know that some of the Russion stuff from Baikal (which I have shot) has a decent reputation so no doubt there are some decent low budget guns.  And yes, they are build like a tank (or a cinder and mortar feces deposit dwelling :chuckle:).  However, I personally know a gun dealer who has taken back several of the Rems.... I don't know if it was for a particular reason or just general problems.  There is also ample evidence that both Khan and Huglu guns out of Turkey are notorious for problems.  From what I'm hearing however, there have been decent improvements over the last couple years with them and I think they've also started making some higher end stuff.

That all being said, I would still advise caution when buying a budget O/U, S/S, or autos.  For overall value and dependability an 870 Wingmaster will be tough to beat.     

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 08:34:46 AM »
I shoot both a Benelli SBE (original) and have an 870 wingmaster as well.  Like them both, tend to gravitate more toward the Benelli, not sure exactly why, but maybe I shoot it a bit better.  This past weekend took the 870 pheasant hunting, didn't shoot a thing but enjoyed packing it again.  Seems to me with auto's, the more money you spend the more likely they are to work well for you on a regular basis, but with an 870 you get an essentially bullet proof gun for a very reasonable price.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 01:18:30 PM »
a cinder and mortar feces deposit dwelling

LMAO....thanks....I needed that....

This is probably a nit, but I never considered a 870 'Wingmaster' a budget shotgun.  An 870 Express...you bet.  But not a Wingmaster.  MSRP on a Wingmaster is about $800.00.  I always figure true retail approx 20% less MSRP.  A Wingmaster isn't an expensive shotgun either, so far as shotguns go, but when most people are considering an 870, it's usually the low end Express model...

Offline ABMGENERAL

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 08:06:36 AM »
im gonna throw my . :twocents: in here.

870 Probly the nicest on the cheap! Joes, $300 for a loaded model.

500 Mossy- Why do you think USMC uses them?? just a thought...

500 is looser but more reliable in extreme situations...

I have a 500 mossy that was a gift... its the only gun i have needed. i have killed a couple of everything with it. it doesn't have changeable chokes and doesn't take 3.5in shells... 2 reasons to leave the 500 with the shorty barrell and pistol grip and buy a nicer 870 for the field.

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 08:52:57 AM »
I really liked my 500 too.  Shot a LOT of trap with it, hunted with it a lot too.  It was my first pump gun.  Gave it to my dad for 'homeland security' duty....I'll get it back one of these days...

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 11:00:15 PM »
I have had too many semi-auto's turn into single shots during the freeze up while duck hunting. I will always hunt with a pump for waterfowl and everything else for that matter. I tend to take more time and stay on the bird for the second shot. I used to miss more due to rushed shots with the auto. :twocents:
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 08:34:13 AM »
I have had too many semi-auto's turn into single shots during the freeze up while duck hunting. I will always hunt with a pump for waterfowl and everything else for that matter. I tend to take more time and stay on the bird for the second shot. I used to miss more due to rushed shots with the auto. :twocents:

I don't hunt waterfowl (yet), but am curious how double barrel shotguns fare in the freezing cold of a duck blind?  For upland I love my doubles, they are THE FASTEST shotgun for one follow up shot.  Period.  For people who need more than one follow up shot, I've got two words for them, range practice.... ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]