collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which rifle cartridge for black bear?  (Read 16523 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: Which rifle cartridge for black bear?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
When I don't take the time to shoot as much as I should, I can get into the habit of flinching before the shot if teh rifle's got much kick. I've never had that problem with a 308 and would rather put the shot on target than miss with more velocity/energy. The main thing that I was concerned with is putting the critter down quickly.

You guys that are telling justaguy to go with the 300WM (my favorite cartridge BTW), did you read what he wrote above (in bold)?

If a guy flinches with a 300WM, then he is likely to miss or make a bad hit.  If a low recoiling rifle (.308) is used and he doesn't flinch, wouldn't that be better?   :dunno:
Hey Curly - why are you recommending a 300WM? Didn't you read what he said about being recoil sensitive?  ;)

Yeah, I recommended a .308.  If a guy thinks he may flinch with a magnum, it seems that a .308 would be a better option.  Although, like I did try to point out, that T3 tactical rifle is fairly heavy which could help with felt recoil, so maybe he'd be okay with the magnum?  :dunno:

Bearpaw has obviously seen lots of bears killed, so it seems like his opinion should have a lot of weight to it.  But I just question the difference between a .308 win and a .300 win mag being so great that there is no question but to go with the .300?  (And if like Bearpaw says to limit shots to 300 yards, that seems to then help the argument toward using a .308 win).

Ralph Flowers (professional bear hunter in Grays Harbor area) killed thousands of black bears and the majority were killed with a .270 Win.  So, I just don't see the need for the magnum.............. :dunno:

More discussion would sure be great.  I'm no expert by any means.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
.300 Winnie and 165gr Accubonds for me, I like a little more bullet speed to weight ratio with the magnums. It's all in the bullet. :tup:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
If you are recoil sensitive, I would get the .308. I don't like recoil either. If your heart is really set on this rifle model, that's what I would do. If you could get attached to another model, try the 30-06.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
.308 and study the shot placement thread for bears. Shoot them where it counts. Break bones, shoot within your limits, and be patient waiting for the shot. Good luck this season.

Offline hillbilli

• Longhunter
  • NAVY CHIEF
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
i use a .308 for most things. Where I come from down south we hunt hogs, and the state conservation depertment recommends for hogs " a repeating rifle in a caliber appropriate for deer" .. and I agree with that, and I think that black bears and hogs are similar in toughness, heavier bone structure than deer, and their ability to not leave a blood trail even when hit well. I havent killed a black bear, but have killed a number of hogs, not always from optimal angles- with the .308. I think a .308 will do fine.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
.300 Winnie and 165gr Accubonds for me, I like a little more bullet speed to weight ratio with the magnums. It's all in the bullet. :tup:
FPS for your pet load?
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 06:49:31 PM »
   Shot placement is obviously most important but I will say from quite a bit of black bear hunting experience its never a bad idea to gun up a bit, they are a very tough animal and anything less than a perfect shot can lead you into a miserable track job into crazy thick cover with a minimal blood trail :twocents: If your specifically buying a bear gun, Id go with 300 and do some practicing, as you should even with a smaller caliber.....Good luck
Go hawks

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »
I always get a chuckle out of these threads, if you haven't killed a bear then your in for quite a trip. Bears are very tough critters and dont bleed for squat, if you dont break a bear down and you gotta track one through brush the recovery is gonna be difficult, unless your a Damn fine shot and and good at feild judging a bear then you need to be a hell o alot closer than 400 yards, bear need to be hit hard on the first shot, and bear are great actors to, you will find that out... many people wound bear and never have the sack to own up to it, find a good heavy round with good bone crushing knock down power
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 07:19:13 PM »
 :) I have killed 16 black bears. They do bleed fine, just the fur soaks up some of it. I place them between deer and elk for killing, a little tougher than deer, sometimes, not near as tough as a big bull. A 270/308/30-06/7mm/300wm-wsm are all fine, so is a 30/30 if you shoot 100 yards or less. IT IS ALL ABOUT PLACEMENT
I would not hesitate to use my 243.
The situation has to be perfect, good rest, lots of time, before I will shoot further than 300 yards at any game animal or even coyotes.
Ralph Flowers first bear was taken with a 22lr single shot.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »
Hi all,
   I'd like to get some advise from folks with more experience hunting bears. I'm looking at picking up a new rifle for bear and am stuck between a 308 and a 300 wm. I know a 06 would be the perfect compromise, but it's not offered in the rifle that I'm lusting over (Tikka T3). I'm on the wetside hunting clearcuts, and a 400 yd is probabaly on the longest shot I'd be taking and hopefully the shot would be much shorter than that. Considering the cost of ammo, wear and tear on the shoulder, and pleasure of shooting, I'm leaning toward the 308 with the right bullet. On the flipside, I don't want to show up undergunned.

Any thoughts?

I think you have an awful lot of varying opinions to sift through. Problem is most of them make sense.

Only part I'm sticking on is the flinch you described. The 300 is obviously more well-rounded for bear in more situations, but has a lot more recoil. That model of gun you're considering may moderate it some (other could speak to this better). Choice boils down to whether you can (or can learn to) shoot the 300 accurately. If not, the 308 is the only choice. Then you may have a lower limit on range and situations to take an ethical shot, but it may not matter if you have a lot of discipline before squeezing the shot anyway,

Any way you could get some range time with a 300 before your purchase? Could tell you a lot.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
I prefer the 7mm Mag fired from my Tikka T-3 Superlite , but the 30-06 will work great too.

That's what I'm hunting with. It sure is a wonderful shooting rifle! Even with the extra lightness the recoil is very mild. I will admit though after the last 2 seasons shooting/hunting with a heavy weatherby vanguard. I'm not a very good shot with the super light tikka yet. Missed a few longer range shots at bear this season  :bash:

My vote would be a tikka lite, in 300wm or 7mm. Looking at your location. You have an opportunity to hunt some very good bear areas with the chance at some longer range shots over 400 yards. I would not limit myself.

I hunted with a short barrel 308 the last couple season bear hunting. And had many chances at bear but never felt comfortable with the ranges. So Last october I bought my tikka super light 7mm topped it with a scope capable of long range shots. Now I have the option when the shot presents itself.
Now I'm practicing all year for those long shots to be ready. (I had no trigger time with this setup last season and it showed!!)

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »
Go with the 300wsm, very comparable ballistics to the 300wm but with a whole lot less kick. Thats the gun i hunt with, very capable of shots out to 400yrds. Has some kick, but not bad to where i start anticipating the recoil.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
FPS for your pet load?

3340 Fast and flat! :tup: RL-22 and a Federal 215M.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »
They are both fine shooters chose which ever one u want the most.but i almost can bet u will find bulk ammo more for the 308. I woulnd look at cost of ammo first,cause the more ammo u can get the more u can practice for longer shots.good luck.   :)
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline 700xcr

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
I am even going heavier for bears. I have a new 375 Ruger Guide Gun shooting 300gr. bullets. With the factory muzzle break that came with the rifle makes it very pleasant to shoot. Just a push on the shoulder while under recoil. Planning on using the express open sights for heavy cover and using Leupold VX3 2.5-8x 36mm Boone and Crockett reticle with Alaskan quick detach rings. That way have scope in day pack and shot is over 200yds, will install onto rifle. ;)
Nothing like a Remington model 700xcr.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter