collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Archery season suggestions  (Read 23800 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Archery season suggestions
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »
I have been a member the past few years (expired at the moment) but they need more organization to be effective.  To me it seems like the WDFW puts more imprt on the gmac but who only knows how the gmac reaches consensus.  Anyone ever been asked by them for real input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are at least 2 regularly contributing huntwa members who are on the GMAC.  I'll let them say out loud who they are if they want to but they both post pretty regularly on here. I'll speak for Todd, the new president of WSB and say that part of their goal of better organization was the creation of this forum board for the club. Hopefully there is more contribution from members given the ability to speak in here.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
Well that is a good start.  I would love to help in anyway I can.  The last two 3 yr packages have resulted in very bad outcomes for bowhunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »
I never had a paid day off in my life and neither did/have most of the guys I hunt with for many years.........Better seasonal timing, ie. later in the month is more important than weekends.   :twocents:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 09:14:58 AM »
Sept 8-21 sounds good to me and I'd also like to ask for the muzzleloader season to be Sept 22-30.

That would be perfect, then they could back up the 9 day general east side deer season to start the first weekend in Oct, just remind them of that and you have a real chance in them considering it Bobcat.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
I never had a paid day off in my life and neither did/have most of the guys I hunt with for many years.........Better seasonal timing, ie. later in the month is more important than weekends.   :twocents:
And don't you think WDFW know that? :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »

I often find myself wondering what they do know versus dont...........maybe we should insert understand in place of know.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »

I often find myself wondering what they do know versus dont...........maybe we should insert understand in place of know.
:chuckle:

My point being, they know/understand when the best time for each group to hunt is and they purposely avoid those times with their season setting policies. They are not gong to give away things they can generate revenue from......period!

Offline ken1010

• Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
I would like to see a traditional barebow only season on elk and deer. Recurve, longbow, no sights. Anyone else?

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2014, 06:56:54 PM »
I would like to see a traditional barebow only season on elk and deer. Recurve, longbow, no sights. Anyone else?

I'm afraid of the five day week seasons so we can have Traditional archery, modern archery, crossbow, traditional muzzleloader, modern muzzleloader, modern firearms, women archery, Women muzzy, women modern, youth archery, youth muzzy, youth modern, father daughter archery, grandson and grandparent muzzy, sibling modern and all the other different seasons.  Because you know it all has to be fair, right?

Oregon has a traditional season for two weeks in the Strawberries, but their season is also three times as long as it is in Washington.  And as far as I know no user group has sued over fairness yet.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline ken1010

• Pilgrim
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 07:18:35 PM »
Good point! I concur on your perspective. We don't want a more convoluted set of seasons. But I would settle for the last week of August on Elk for traditional barebow only.  :chuckle:

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
Good point! I concur on your perspective. We don't want a more convoluted set of seasons. But I would settle for the last week of August on Elk for traditional barebow only.  :chuckle:

Me too!  Especially since the talk around here from archery hunters is that early of a season would suck :chuckle:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
  • Hunt Hard or Stay Home!!!
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
Don't really see why it would make much of a difference if it overlapped muzzy deer season. Late archery deer and elk overlap or share the same dates in the late season. I would rather lose the late season and get the whole month of Sept.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Dividing bow-hunting seasons only serves to divide archers further.  Let's stick together and accomplish more. 

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
 :yeah:  I agree archers are archers regardless of what kind of bow is in your hand.

Ken1010.... Are you suggesting  that you would like to have a separate season and user group? I would have no problem with a traditional user group who had a five day season the last week in August.

I believe The Oregon units Rad is reffering to still get to hunt normal archery season, they simply get "first crack" if using traditional equipment. I don't think thats a good idea for reasons already mentioned, shorter season here, much, much less area.

Typically when I have seen the idea of trad seasons. Its followed by a suggestion to move that season to the most premium time to hunt .___..insert species here. The problem I see with moving all "non traditional"(whatever that means) muzzy and archery seasons to wherever,  and Making a traditional season the 10 th of sep to the 10th of October for bulls and the month of November for bucks . Is that it will be great for maybe 5 to 10 years. At which point enough hunters will have converted to traditional for the better season and "traditional technology" will have caught up with demand. You have now created demand and equipment AND hunters that push the envelope will be right behind. Round and round we go.

Offline ken1010

• Pilgrim
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 05:50:33 PM »
Blackveletbowhunter, yes, I would like to see a traditional bare bow only season. If that's practical in WA State is another question, given how populated it is. I think there could be a place for it, but I would not support edging out the premium archery hunt dates for it. I believe it deserves some part of its own season.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]