collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1977 bronco  (Read 14722 times)

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
Re: 1977 bronco
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 12:05:01 PM »
Sounds like a faulty emergency brake light switch.  It's too old to have an ABS system.  The Chiltons Manual I have for the Ranger/Bronco II series has electrical diagrams for all the years.  A guy at NAPA printed me out a diagram of a system that wasn't in the book.  Keep it up, and you'll be an expert on those things!  :chuckle:
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline bhawley76

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »
That light goes to your proportioning valve, if it come's on and then goes off its doing what is suppose to.

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
Proportioning valve? It's suppose to be on when the key is off and not even in the ignition? Like I said I'll turn the key on and the light goes off.

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
That might be it..  The Brake system is hot all the time, and the ignition switch might bypass it. Run it for a while--Sometimes when a vehicle is idle for a while, the electrical contacts gum up, and work good once they are used again... If after a month or so, if they still act up, then start trouble-shooting.  :twocents:

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 01:44:11 PM »
If after a month or so, if they still act up, then start trouble-shooting.  :twocents:
It will be easy to tell after a month because your rig won't start anymore and need a new battery. :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:46 PM »
If after a month or so, if they still act up, then start trouble-shooting.  :twocents:
It will be easy to tell after a month because your rig won't start anymore and need a new battery. :chuckle:

Depends on the battery--the instructions that came with my CB radio advised hooking it up to a switched circuit, so it wouldn't get left on and drain your battery.  I inadvertently left it on for a week, and my Bronco II started right up!  :chuckle:  Sounds like he is only connecting the battery to run it, though.  Some vehicles develop a "Dark Load", and the battery runs down overnight, and those can be hard to locate!  :bash:

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
Brings back memories. First vehicle I ever owned was a 69 Bronco. Traded it off for a brand new 76 Bronco. Often wish I would have kept it but not sure where I would have stashed it.

I rescued so many people stuck in the snow while running my trapline. It seemed like it would go anywhere. I even towed out a family riding snowmobiles that were stuck and couldn't make it back out to the plowed road.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Maverick

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 08:15:40 PM »
Put a new fuel pump on it. Blew through the lines and they're clear. But not hearing bubbles in the gas tank. With half a tank we should hear bubbles when blowing through the lines. So tomorrow we'll drop the tanks which we really should have done before anyways and see if the pickup tube in the tanks is rotted off.. At least the fuel lines aren't plugged..

Offline gonehuntin68

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »
I am far from a ford guy but man I love those old broncos.     :drool:

Offline hiway_99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scout
    • https://m.facebook.com/100088313187853/
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Are you sure you have the fuel tank selector in the right position?  Its on the right side under the drivers side seat.  Check all your fuel lines there probably cracked and sucking air.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »

Depends on the battery--the instructions that came with my CB radio advised hooking it up to a switched circuit, so it wouldn't get left on and drain your battery.  I inadvertently left it on for a week, and my Bronco II started right up!  :chuckle:  Sounds like he is only connecting the battery to run it, though.  Some vehicles develop a "Dark Load", and the battery runs down overnight, and those can be hard to locate!  :bash:
In this case, with it turning on when the ignition is turned off its almost certainly being swithced with a relay. Most relays will draw a few amps of current, which would drain a battery in short order if not disconnected when not in use, which will become a PITA eventually. Best to just track down the problem. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 10:39:32 AM »
Put a new fuel pump on it. Blew through the lines and they're clear. But not hearing bubbles in the gas tank. With half a tank we should hear bubbles when blowing through the lines. So tomorrow we'll drop the tanks which we really should have done before anyways and see if the pickup tube in the tanks is rotted off.. At least the fuel lines aren't plugged..

Yup.  A vehicle that old, and sitting unused for a while, they might be. I changed all the belts and hoses on my '86 Ranger, too.  They looked good, but that old, you never know.  They were all mostly the originals.  I had to take just about everything off the front of the engine to replace the valve cover gaskets anyway.  I learned with my '91 Ranger that leaking valve cover gaskets eventually kills the starter.

Offline Maverick

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »
Yeah so we'll drop at least one tank tonight and see what's going on. Battery is unhooked unless we're trying to start it. I'll worry about the brake light after this thing is running. Once I get running good I'll start fixing up the interior and exterior, exhaust, lift kit and new tires. Already have new wheels for it. Can anyone recommend a lift kit? Can't make up my mind on if I want to run 33s or 35s. Not going to be a wheeling rig. Mostly one I'll cruise around in and maybe take up to the mountains for hunting.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »
So does yours have a 3 on the tree or is it an automatic?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »
 :tup:  One word of advice for dropping fuel tanks I learned the hard way:  Make sure you siphon ALL the gas out of the tank.  even 3 gallons makes the tank really heavy!  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal