collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Roslyn - Liberty area for birds?  (Read 10962 times)

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • elkhornarchers
Re: Roslyn - Liberty area for birds?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 06:30:49 AM »
The weather has been cold and windy, think the birds are hunkered down, I'm not a turkey hunter but been doing a fair amount of shed hunting around liberty and north of Ellensburg, heard a few gobblers but didn't see anything.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 06:58:59 AM »
These last two posts have me thinkin now.

A) Up until 2 years ago, the Roslyn side of Teannaway had LOTS of animals in it. In some places, harder to get at because of terrain and such, but still thick with Deer and Elk. However, the last two years in the Roslyn area, have been an economical drain on my Hunting dollars. Both years, Wolf tracks everywhere I go throughout the unit, from Pac Crest, to foothills to the West of US97.

B) Foothills East of US97 all the way to the Colockum have been scorched here and there, however in that same week of scouting each year, I have seen tons of grouse on the East side of 97 and alot more hooved animal prints/sign. If Turkeys dig regreen areas within old fire areas, I would think that any birds to be found in the area, would be Liberty or East to the Columbia...

I am starting to think that the hills above Roslyn is just becoming Wolf Central, cuz I literally have not even seen anything edible up there in years now...
two years ago we were headed to our spot in the dark and a wolf crossed the road just up the road from where we were driving.  about 500 yards down the road there were 8 cow elk. Gee I wonder what the wolf was up to?  Very true statement when you say there aren't as many animals up there.  It's sad
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »
I hunted Liberty area, and although I got my Tom on opening day, I was lucky.  Not one gobble heard, hens were even quiet.  I think it's just early.  Give 'em a few days.
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Offline full strutting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
Found a few birds in area described. First set up jake would only come in and past on hoping tom would show. Next day spent an hour plus working the tom. He wouldn't come closer than 70yds, so I crawled to 40yds to regroup location. And he comes back directly behind to pine trees with no shot. Al of a sudden a bear appears between us. No kill, but 225lbs of bear at 15yds was a rush

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Wanna eat organic? GO HUNT!!
  • Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 10:38:43 PM »
Man that's crazy. Nothing like a Bear that close... Something I love and focus on yearly is Bear Hunting, but never in those areas because I haven't seen any Bearover there in YEARS... so it's good to hear you seen one. Although when I did see Bears in those areas they were pretty gnarly Boars...

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »
Man that's crazy. Nothing like a Bear that close... Something I love and focus on yearly is Bear Hunting, but never in those areas because I haven't seen any Bearover there in YEARS... so it's good to hear you seen one. Although when I did see Bears in those areas they were pretty gnarly Boars...

I hang a camera on our property and usually get 3-4 different bears a year. Have seen some really nice ones and had a few last year that came by my camera almost daily.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
That Darn wind is probably the worst, I think they just go hide under a bush most the day, seems what the Easterns do and I never get much action on the windy days, whether calling or setting travel routes. Rain, snow no big deal but the wind seems to sure knock the spunk out of them.
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

Offline dr.derek

• Heart shot hunter
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »
jumped 1 bird with no talking. dang wind was blowing hard for nything to happen. next week looks good for hunting
bucks ducks trucks  . . . and bulls.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal