collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: wolves in washington  (Read 16552 times)

Offline SSG Brower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
wolves in washington
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »
 i used to hunt out of War Creek camp ground and two years in a row saw the same black wolf with yellow eyes come down off the hill cross the twisp river road grab some chow left on the picnic tables and haul ass back across the road.  the first year i saw him i thought maybe it was just someones dog from the camp ground but after seeing him personally upclose, like within 10ft, i knew it's a wolf.  my friend called bull!@#$ on me and he went hunting with me the next year and two days into the hunt became a believer after we watched it go to the neighboring campsite raise it's leg, nose open the cooler.  we were making noise to get it to go away but it crouched down and started belly crawling towards us.  i grabbed my rifle and put a bead on it when my buddy nailed it in the forehead with a rock where it ran back across the twisp river rd, in front of some other hunters driving back who just about wrecked breaking their necks looking at it.
You can run but you'll die tired.  Rangers Lead the Way.

'04 maroon dodge, six speed, edge, aFe, 90HP inj. 5" turbo back, Isspro gauges and dirty right side rear bumper.

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
Re: wolves in washington
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »
About 10 years ago my brother and I were staying (hunting) in the same campground when we heard what we thought was a wolf, at the time there were no reports of them officially in Wa. but I know what we heard.

Offline SSG Brower

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »
it would of been about eight years ago when i hunted twisp, lime creek, slate creek

'04 maroon dodge, six speed, edge, aFe, 90HP inj. 5" turbo back, Isspro gauges and dirty right side rear bumper.

Offline big_bucks

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:30:22 PM »
I hunt both those areas - nasty, tough country for sure.  VERY low deer numbers in there, especially now. 

Offline big_bucks

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:32:40 PM »
I've got a question - why do we have to vote to get rid of hounds but have no say in the introduction of wolves?  or the management?

Offline SSG Brower

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 05:40:20 AM »
that is a excellent question.  at least with dogs you get and accurate count of wildlife taken as opposed to letting packs of wolves run around with out the slightest idea of animals it has taken down or which.  WDFW should have the wolves apply for licenses as well and turn in catch reports. :sas:

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »
Loggers in the Klickitat Meadows area of Ahtanum Forest say that they have been hearing howling at night this fall. That would now put the wolves in the south central part of the state.
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:58:13 PM »
Loggers in the Klickitat Meadows area of Ahtanum Forest say that they have been hearing howling at night this fall. That would now put the wolves in the south central part of the state.
:o :o :o :yike: :yike: :yike: Not good.

Offline Schmalzfam

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:00:22 PM »
They actually have signs up now about the wolves in Twisp and how to tell them apart from Coyotes..they have found a pack...with cubs!!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »
They had those same signs up about 20 years ago just north of Lake Wenatchee.

My brother and I saw the signs just after we saw, and almost shot at, three funny looking "coyotes."   :o

Offline docsven

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:06:40 PM »
I was talking to my dad last week who lives in Idaho.  One of his crew is on a search and rescue team who went out above Ketchum to find a lost family who were out on quads.  Anyway, the father had lost control of his and ended up dead, the mother and two boys lost control of theirs about half a mile back on the trail and were pinned under and lay there all night.  Search and rescue found them, Dad had been chewed on by wolves (they decided from the tracks in the snow) the two kids made it and their mother died the next day from injuries.  Lots of wolves spotted right off the highway over there, and no one is too excited about it there either.  I'll post the pic if I can pull it from my e-mail.

Offline Rick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 09:19:40 PM »

My Dad and I saw a radio collared wolf in that area about 5-6 years ago. No mistaking what it was when it walked past us less than 50yds away. They've been in South central for awhile.

Offline docsven

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »
Wolves in Ketchum, Idaho 4 weeks ago.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:28:28 PM by docsven »

Offline hunt4

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »
lot of SSS

Offline blacktail luv

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Shed Hunting Fool
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 10:04:49 PM »
Although I have never seen them myself I have heard of three sightings of wolves in the trout lake area by elk hunters in the last couple years.  My best friends dad told me he saw a fresh set of wolf tracks in the snow while elk hunting this year in the Indian Heavens wilderness.  he is no dumb ass guy either.  he knows his *censored*, and said it wasn't no coyote or dog track, not up there.  scary that they are coming down here, we definately don't need that *censored* around kinda pisses me off actually not enough elk around here to share if you ask me :(

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal