collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Inflatable Boats for Waterfowl Hunting  (Read 25530 times)

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Inflatable Boats for Waterfowl Hunting
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 08:29:57 PM »
I wouldn't hunt around here in a boat like that, lake , pond, whatever! The season is quite a ways off. You could save money before then and get a marshrat or aquapod. It would work far better, you'd be better concealed and you wouldn't have to worry about popping it.  As for the $45 price tag, you get what you pay for! I wouldn't trust my life to a $45 piece of rubber.  :twocents:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
I wouldn't hunt around here in a boat like that, lake , pond, whatever! The season is quite a ways off. You could save money before then and get a marshrat or aquapod. It would work far better, you'd be better concealed and you wouldn't have to worry about popping it.  As for the $45 price tag, you get what you pay for! I wouldn't trust my life to a $45 piece of rubber.  :twocents:

Don't judge the book by its cover...Actually it's made out of 20 gauge PVC tough nylon not rubber. If it's 45 bucks it doesn't mean it's bad. I will hunt this year with this boat and I will post the pictures and maybe video so you can see how it works

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 12:04:13 AM »
Good luck, I've hunted out of an innertube with a couple of straps to hang from, wetsuit bottoms and flippers. I've also hunted out of a  12 1/2 foot and 13 foot Zodiac and Achilles.  However, hunting out of a Zodiac or Achilles is much more comfortable and forgiving if pushing you or the vessel's limits at all.

Keep us posted.

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 12:25:36 AM »
Good luck, I've hunted out of an innertube with a couple of straps to hang from, wetsuit bottoms and flippers. I've also hunted out of a  12 1/2 foot and 13 foot Zodiac and Achilles.  However, hunting out of a Zodiac or Achilles is much more comfortable and forgiving if pushing you or the vessel's limits at all.

Keep us posted.

Thanks a lot, I will for sure! Actually I looked up the prices for the boats that you said....They're over $1500. I don't have a place to keep a regular boat because I live in an apartment ...I wanna buy an inflatable boat so it can fit in my trunk and easily deflate and keep it at home...Will see what results I get this fall/winter...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:41:37 AM by Tiger1358 »

Offline Bullkllr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »
Would inflatable boats for work fall/winter waterfowl hunting?
With every reply that suggests otherwise, you seem to find a way to affirmatively answer your own question. A lot of guys who have replied are experienced- and experience is a great teacher ....you'll see.

There are times and places where that boat might do a serviceable job placing decoys or paddling out for retrieves. There are far more where it would be highly questionable. There just aren't a lot of places I know of that provide good duck hunting with calm, sheltered water, where little/no water travel is required...maybe a farm pond...

Beware of pointed sticks, which literally line the banks of many streams and sloughs.

"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 01:33:47 AM »
With every reply that suggests otherwise, you seem to find a way to affirmatively answer your own question. A lot of guys who have replied are experienced- and experience is a great teacher ....you'll see.

There are times and places where that boat might do a serviceable job placing decoys or paddling out for retrieves. There are far more where it would be highly questionable. There just aren't a lot of places I know of that provide good duck hunting with calm, sheltered water, where little/no water travel is required...maybe a farm pond...

Beware of pointed sticks, which literally line the banks of many streams and sloughs.

I understand that people are experienced but I'm experienced too...I have been hunting,trapping and fishing since I was 11 years old...I have never used a boat for hunting.I just wanted to see what people say about it, I thought people have used inflatable boats for waterfowl hunting but most of them haven't even used inflatable boats before...I understand that it won't work in swamps and grassy areas. I know places where I go pheasant hunting, there are some ponds and calm rivers where I can hunt ducks from a boat. I don't have a dog that's why I decided to hunt from a boat. I will try to avoid those areas where my boat can be damaged.

I'm not ignoring what people say, I'm just trying to see who has hunted with an inflatable boat and what results they got.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 07:07:03 AM »

I understand that people are experienced but I'm experienced too...I have been hunting,trapping and fishing since I was 11 years old...I have never used a boat for hunting.I just wanted to see what people say about it, I thought people have used inflatable boats for waterfowl hunting but most of them haven't even used inflatable boats before...I understand that it won't work in swamps and grassy areas. I know places where I go pheasant hunting, there are some ponds and calm rivers where I can hunt ducks from a boat. I don't have a dog that's why I decided to hunt from a boat. I will try to avoid those areas where my boat can be damaged.

I'm not ignoring what people say, I'm just trying to see who has hunted with an inflatable boat and what results they got.
If it wasn't clear I was referring to experience hunting waterfowl out of boats, including inflatables.

Hey, it'll do fine within obvious limits. Have fun, stay safe; good hunting.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 08:15:01 AM »

If it wasn't clear I was referring to experience hunting waterfowl out of boats, including inflatables.

Hey, it'll do fine within obvious limits. Have fun, stay safe; good hunting.

Thanks!

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
I'm gonna post a link here, you guys can watch it ....it's in a different language, but at least you will see how they hunt with Intex Seahawk 4 (4 person)inflatable boat...and that boat is only $98 on Amazon.....the smaller version of if that I have is Intex Seahawk 2 ..it's only for 2 person and costs $45 at Walmart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRSLbCTGkw

Hunting like the video shows won't make others happy on here.  The boat you show looks bad for paddling and would be dangerous in wind because it would be impossible to control acting like a sail.  A person can paddle much easier with a kayak paddle vs row boat.  I would hate to get that kind of work out rowing a boat over a 100 yards wearing waders.

Well, everyone is different...You don't like it ,but there are a lotta people that hunt like this and they're very successful ....btw I added another link ,u can check it out

I have been waterfowl hunting since 86 and never seen people have much success floating down a river banging up limits.  I have talked to hunter before who do some spot and stalk with canoes before but early in the year.  Flocks of ducks and geese just don't let boats get close in public areas to let hunters be very successful on any consistant basis.

Doing some hikes, scout, and meeting the right people is the best way to succeed in waterfowl and that provides no sure hunts time after time but you will have hunts like this.

Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
I'm gonna post a link here, you guys can watch it ....it's in a different language, but at least you will see how they hunt with Intex Seahawk 4 (4 person)inflatable boat...and that boat is only $98 on Amazon.....the smaller version of if that I have is Intex Seahawk 2 ..it's only for 2 person and costs $45 at Walmart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRSLbCTGkw

Hunting like the video shows won't make others happy on here.  The boat you show looks bad for paddling and would be dangerous in wind because it would be impossible to control acting like a sail.  A person can paddle much easier with a kayak paddle vs row boat.  I would hate to get that kind of work out rowing a boat over a 100 yards wearing waders.

Well, everyone is different...You don't like it ,but there are a lotta people that hunt like this and they're very successful ....btw I added another link ,u can check it out

I have been waterfowl hunting since 86 and never seen people have much success floating down a river banging up limits.  I have talked to hunter before who do some spot and stalk with canoes before but early in the year.  Flocks of ducks and geese just don't let boats get close in public areas to let hunters be very successful on any consistant basis.

Doing some hikes, scout, and meeting the right people is the best way to succeed in waterfowl and that provides no sure hunts time after time but you will have hunts like this.

Oh I know about that...It is hard to get close to ducks with a boat...You have to camouflage it very well so it matches the grass and everything...I'll use camo netting and grass to camouflage it and try to use, I hope it'll work....I don't have a dog and boat is probably the only alternative way to solve that problem. I'm sure it'll work but not that well as a regular boat.

Offline Oldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
Has anyone used inflatable boats for waterfowl hunting? What do you think about that?

You post a question asking what others think about waterfowl hunting using a WalMart raft and then tend to refute all the advice from experienced hunters. My suggestion is that you put on a PFD and launch on a warm, windy day to test out your theory that this is going to be a safe venture come the winter winds and rain and the threat of hypothermia if you have any problems. A Marsh-rat, Aquapod, or a canoe would be my choice hands down if my life were at stake.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »
Sounds like you have a plan. Be safe and don't shoot someone's decoy because hunters will be hiding in your line of fire if you plan on using the same methods in the video.
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »
Sounds like you have a plan. Be safe and don't shoot someone's decoy because hunters will be hiding in your line of fire if you plan on using the same methods in the video.

Thanks ! ;)

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 12:20:01 PM »
Has anyone used inflatable boats for waterfowl hunting? What do you think about that?

You post a question asking what others think about waterfowl hunting using a WalMart raft and then tend to refute all the advice from experienced hunters. My suggestion is that you put on a PFD and launch on a warm, windy day to test out your theory that this is going to be a safe venture come the winter winds and rain and the threat of hypothermia if you have any problems. A Marsh-rat, Aquapod, or a canoe would be my choice hands down if my life were at stake.

I already said that I'm not ignoring the advice form anyone. If someone says don't use it because you got it from Walmart and it was $45 ,do I have to take it as a good advice?

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
I dont think the boat picture you posted and the one they use in the videos are of the same quality or brand. Plus the water they are on is slow and shallow at times while not being very brushy, i cant think of any water like that in this state.  :dunno: 
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal