collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grouse in Thick Cover  (Read 3460 times)

Offline xxmicahxx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • twitter.com/silke_micah
    • Twitter
Grouse in Thick Cover
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
I hunted this spot all last year because the grouse were there. It is very thick berry shrub about 6 feet tall with a path barely running through. I've yet to get one, though I usually flush about four or more. Often I don't even see them. And they don't hold for the dogs. Does anyone have tips for these types of situations. I've thought about posting with a .22 but their spots are not static. Also thought about clearing a little brush with a machete.  :bdid: >?

Thanks so much!

Also, I am new to the board, but have been hunting grouse since moving here 4 years back. I have got very few!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Grouse in Thick Cover
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »
Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clear a trail with your machete so you can get through there quicker and quieter. Then you just need some luck, and when you do see one through the brush, just shoot through the brush at it. You're not likely to get any clear shots. It's a good thing you have a dog, you'll need it to retrieve birds that you didn't even know you hit.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clear a trail with your machete so you can get through there quicker and quieter. Then you just need some luck, and when you do see one through the brush, just shoot through the brush at it. You're not likely to get any clear shots. It's a good thing you have a dog, you'll need it to retrieve birds that you didn't even know you hit.
:yeah:thats what i do when i hunt the thick salmon berry patches that are thick with alder and vine maple, huntn grouse will make you a quick shot for sure, fun to hunt, well except in this hot damn weather we are having :bash:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »
I hunted this spot all last year because the grouse were there. It is very thick berry shrub about 6 feet tall with a path barely running through. I've yet to get one, though I usually flush about four or more. Often I don't even see them. And they don't hold for the dogs. Does anyone have tips for these types of situations. I've thought about posting with a .22 but their spots are not static. Also thought about clearing a little brush with a machete.  :bdid: >?

Thanks so much!

Also, I am new to the board, but have been hunting grouse since moving here 4 years back. I have got very few!

Some would say if they aren't holding for the dogs that's a training problem. Actually I can guarantee every single guy here  ->   http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/ will tell you that. If you hunt pheasant or a lot of pen raised birds that can create problems for pointing dogs chasing grouse in cover.

Your best bet is to wait until the leaves fall. The birds shuffle some time around October and disperse, giving you more opportunities but with fewer birds per point, and then start to bunch up in broods again later in the season.

If you are hunting them west of the mountains you have my sympathy, the vegetation here is horrific in some places compared to "true grouse hunting strongholds" in the Midwest or in the Okanogan.

Offline xxmicahxx

• Pilgrim
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:33:49 PM »
Ya, this is a western spot. And, the dogs, they aren't always pointing. Especially after the first flush they tend to scare up the rest. Usually, I just call the dogs back make them Whoo...then drag them off. Trouble is, I have often missed pointed grouse so the training is off. They are pretty good on Pheasant, pen raised and planted.

So, maybe I will clear a little trail. And, keep the dogs close

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
Ya, this is a western spot. And, the dogs, they aren't always pointing. Especially after the first flush they tend to scare up the rest. Usually, I just call the dogs back make them Whoo...then drag them off. Trouble is, I have often missed pointed grouse so the training is off. They are pretty good on Pheasant, pen raised and planted.

So, maybe I will clear a little trail. And, keep the dogs close

Getting the dogs time on grouse in the off season along with a good amount of stop to flush training would probably help with that. That said, my dogs are fairly loose on birds too.   :bash:

Offline xxmicahxx

• Pilgrim
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
Agreed!

Also, anyone wants to talk about day hunts within reach of my Everett location, or possibly meeting up, PM me.

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »
I have this problem with my setter too.  My setter is a chukar dog, and getting him to work close in thick cover isn't what he's used to.  I have to hunt him with a garmin astro.  If a guy was a serious west side grouse hunter, he'd really need a close working grouse dog in my opinion. 

Offline Shoffy

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
Grouse (especially west side Ruffs) I believe are the most difficult upland bird to hunt on foot beating the brush. I agree 100% with Bobcat about shooting through the trees and brush. If you catch a glimpse just go with your instinct and swing on him. I got 2 this weekend and I was pretty sure I hit but didn't know for sure until I found them after looking for 15mins. Both were sharp left flushes through trees and shrubs and I just barely saw them through a small break in the brush

Offline jcswamp

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
I have to admit that i dont have a dog to work with so i cant help you there, but all the grouse i hunt up near Darrington will flush and then land 20-30 feet away. I just wait till they land and shoot them were they stand. Shooting them on the fly is fun, but why give your dinner a chance to get away?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]