collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: High Hunt Blacktail  (Read 9335 times)

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
High Hunt Blacktail
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:18 PM »
 Well I haven't seen much posted on the high hunt yet so I thought I'd share mine.
 I took the opener off of work to hunt with my son. We really debated on whether or not to do this hunt but figured we might as well just do opening day to see what we could find before the hoards ran everything out. We arrived where we wanted to park and started our hike about 3 hours before shooting time. We made quick work of that time and came into the basin we wanted to hunt right on time. (Homefield advantage!) I wanted to drop into the timber a couple hundred yards and work our way out side-hilling across the basin. My plan was to split apart to cover more ground but the dad in me was not having it! It's steep, rugged country and I wouldn't be able to do anything but worry if I couldn't keep an eye on him.
 After moving across several washes I was becoming more concerned with our safety than I was with hunting. Several of the washes were VERY steep and if a guy lost footing he could slide or tumble a long ways. With this fear I spent more time watching my boy than I did the hillsides. My fears came true when he lost traction and started a pretty good slide down the rock/shale face. I was thankful when he stopped and proud of the way he protected his gun. It cost him a fair amount of skin and blood but the dirt clogged the wounds up quite nicely!
 We gathered ourselves back up and continued on. The last wash we needed to cross was sketchy at best so after I crossed it I instructed my son to stay on that side and hunt back up to the ridge and I'd do the same from my side. Just about as soon as he disappeared I jumped what looked like a decent buck from his bed about 40 yds away. He went straight downhill and was gone. Figuring I had nothing to lose I decided to follow him a hundred yds or so to see if I could catch another glimpse of him. After sliding, clawing my way down I got to my feet, stood up to see him staring at me about 50 yds away. Thinking he was going to bolt I through my rifle up to get a better look. Couple inches wider than his ears, and at least a 3x3 with eyeguards was my first thought. Not big enough for an instant decision so I moved 10' to my left to get a better angle. Nope. still can't tell. 10' to my right and... nope. Still can't tell. Ugh. Good buck but really? Opening day of a hunt I never do...
 And then it happened. He head bobbed. You know, the "I'm about to leap into the next county" head bob. Instinct went into overdrive. Safety off.... line up cross hairs one inch under chin and.... KERBOOM!     Clean miss!  :chuckle:   Again, same aim, and KERBOOM!    Clean miss.    :chuckle:    HMPH!  Still staring at me. 10' to the left again. Ahh! Spine!    KERBOOM!   Thud, crash, boom, whack, thud. Tumble, tumble.  Well that did it. As soon as he dropped I knew he was done and that feeling we all know came rushing over me.   NOOOOOOOO!!!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!  I'M AN IDIOT!!!!
 Well, no use crying over spilt blood so before checking him out I headed up to make sure my son went around the wash above before trying to find me. We met about halfway and went for our packs. He was a lot more excited than I was. All I could think about was flies, hornets, sweat, pain, blah blah blah.
 We arrived at the buck and he was about exactly what I thought. 4x3 with eyeguards, almost 20" wide. Good buck, but I've killed lots of good bucks. The boy was thrilled however. We took a couple pics, boned him out, and headed up out of the basin.
 I'm still second guessing my decision to shoot. Good buck and great times with my son so I guess all together I'm glad I did.      I think.   :chuckle:         I'll let the good people of HW to decide for themselves if I did the right thing.

Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: High Hunt Blacktail
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 08:44:48 PM »
Way to go 3 nails, that's a dandy right there!  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
That's a great high country blacktail! I cannot wait to go hunting with my boys! Only 6 more years. Congrats again!

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »
Awsome story sounds like the perfect opening day happy ending congratulations

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:01:35 PM »
Great buck.   :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline BLR 243

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »
Stud Blackie

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »
Stud blacktail.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »
Very nice blacktail.  Congrats
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »
I don't think that was a bad choice.....I'd call him a shooter

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »
Definitely a buck worthy of shooting. Now you can concentrate on getting your kid a deer.

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
Great blackie, now it's the boys turn!
You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline packmule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
Thanks for posting, it sounds like a great hunt and that's a beautiful buck.  You should be very pleased with that buck and that experience, the decision to shoot or not to shoot was yours.  Aw shucks after the fact disrespects the game we harvest in my opinion.  A mid-Sept blackie like that should eat REALLY well  :).

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »
Nice deer!

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 10:10:55 AM »
I'm with Packmule and the rest of the posters here; that is a beautiful deer, and definitely worthy of the tag.  Congratulations!  Now hopefully it's your son's turn!

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 10:25:11 AM »
Nice one Nails! way to get it done.  I notice his ears are on the large side. could he be a bench leg by chance?
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal