collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Let The Methow Herd Destruction Begin  (Read 66956 times)

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Let The Methow Herd Destruction Begin
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 10:29:09 PM »
The guys that are complaining about giving out tags now are the same guys that would be complaining this winter that WDFW should have given out tags if there is a bad winter kill.

Nope

+1

+100. No reason wdfw couldn't issue tags on a as needed basis if a problem presents itself. Not rocket science or a biology degree needed there.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:48:40 PM by bobcat »

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 06:25:03 AM »
They really issued 1000 doe tags? Where did you see the exact number? Pretty shameful by wdfg if that's the case and the success rates are high the deer herd will be in major decline for years and doubtful it will ever recover.  They might as well just close the areas affected down for no hunting! If they want to reduce some deer should have been done for youths, disabled hunters, and very limited tags. Or just feed the deer this year.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 08:23:30 AM »
Good luck to you 1000 lucky doe tag holders, this will be a season you will never be able to forget. :twocents:

Thanks WDFW!

I 100 percent get what your saying phool and I 100 percent agree :tup: :(
:yeah:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
Maybe I don't understand, but I thought they were issuing the tags because the fires burned up the habitat and they're needing to reduce the herd so they don't starve to death. Is that not true?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bradslam

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
Yes, that is true.  Although the people on this thread seem to think it is a conspiracy to destroy the deer herds for whatever crazy reason.  If the deer population exceeds the carrying capacity of the winter ground, more deer could actually die of starvation and it would take longer for the herd to recover than if the numbers are thinned down so the remaining deer can get through the winter in a somewhat healthy state.  Basic wildlife biology.

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »
Maybe I don't understand, but I thought they were issuing the tags because the fires burned up the habitat and they're needing to reduce the herd so they don't starve to death. Is that not true?
yes, true...but the way I read it the concerns are specific.  Mule deer in that area have been declining.  Whitetails have been moving in and competing with them.  The guys opposed to this are opposed to further decline in muleys.  But fine with removing the whitetails.  Then the overall herd size might match the food left after the fires and muleys will at least be stable or possibly rebound.  Sounds like mules might take a hit in the doe department...where they don't need it (so whether intentional or not--further decline the muleys).  Then there is the issue of what people normally look for out there--"the big fat healthy doe" and not the smaller does.  The big does might be more likely to survive a hard winter (in whitetail land generally the bigger older deer survive better in the upper Midwest winters).  So the does left over might be the smaller ones that killed in the winter anyways.  I guess worse case scenario, all the does that get shot are big healthy mule deer that would likely make it through a bad winter; and then a bad winter strikes and kills off the less prepared mule deer does and the following season you have a greater explosion of whiteys and more decline of muleys.

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »
I'm thinking there are more whitetail tags than muledeer tags.  Maybe the kids have the muledeer tags, mine is a whitetail.  I don't have a problem shooting a whitetail doe!

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Why could the state of Washington not transplant a couple of hundred animals to areas that are at less then carrying capacity ? Or truck in feed for the animals?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
Transplanting animals is almost never a good idea unless you're talking about introducing a new animal, like sheep or antelope. Even then, you risk throwing habitat out of balance or introducing disease, or the transplanted animals picking up a disease. In addition, if it were determined that a specific area were below carrying capacity for a certain game species, the most effective and efficient way to solve it is to reduce the tags to balance it out, or increase the selection criteria (more antler points required, etc.). Next, there's no budget to do either. There's nothing left and then, 15% less than that all of a sudden because of the Governor's across the board cuts. I'm aware the situation blows.

"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »
Basic wildlife biology.

Yep, shoot a doe in the head and she wont have any more babies.   

There are possibly better options pianoman like feeding.   And "why did the chicken cross the road" to get to the other side.  The range on the other side has only a tiny portion of it being utilized because of the decreased herd. 

Questions about timing of the hunt etc.   are also concerning. 

Cheapest solution.....kill em all.

Offline Mtn.Ghost

• NWTripper
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »
I'm thinking there are more whitetail tags than muledeer tags.  Maybe the kids have the muledeer tags, mine is a whitetail.  I don't have a problem shooting a whitetail doe!

The email I got from wdfw did not specify one specific species of deer as far as the tag. It just says second deer tag to harvest a doe. Where did you find info that says the tags are for whitetail or mule deer specifically? Did you apply for a whitetail only second deer tag on the original special permit application in one of three units this all pertains to? Is there even a whitey only permit in those units?

I'm a disabled hunter and have been offered one of these doe permits after not being selected on my earlier app. I have already harvested a nice whitey doe during regular archery season and there is no better eating deer out there. I plan on using my second tag only to harvest another whitey for the freezer, I will not be taking any mule deer. I spend a lot of time in the methow and have many friends that are long time residents there so getting on the whiteys is not a problem and they are far superior table fair than the muleys :EAT:           
"Grizzlybunny"

Offline GoldenRing270

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
Not only is it a cheap solution but it also brings in a bit of money. 1000 extra tags at 43 bucks a pop is a pretty good chunk of change. I've hunted the Methow for 12 years and lived between Twisp and Winthrop for 6 years. These extra tags make me feel sick. I can't imagine how I would feel if I had known this area before the north cascades highway was put in. If I had my choice I would eliminate all mule deer doe hunting in the Methow valley.  No more archery mule deer doe hunts, and no special antlerless mule deer tags... or at the very least restrict the harvest of mule deer does to private land only. My dad and I both drew these extra tags and we will be hunting for whitetails only. I vary rarely post anything on this site. I am only making this post because of how strongly I disagree with this decision. The only thing that has been encouraging out of all this is how many members of this site feel the same way.

These fires were naturally caused and this valley has burned since before humans arrived and it will do so again after we are gone. The deer in this valley have had to deal with loss of habitat due to wildfires many times. I say let natural selection run its course. If deer starve to death this winter the strong will survive and it will leave behind better genetics for the next big fire in the valley. In reality though I believe that the migrating mule deer #'s in the methow are far below carrying capacity. FS Roads, houses on every hilltop, snowmobiles, cross country skiers, predators (including humans) among many other obstacles have caused the slow decline in deer #s. Hopefully since most of the winter range in the Alta unit and the Gardener unit didn't burn the deer will move to find food wherever it is available. Also who knows what kind of winters we will get in the next couple years. If the deer are starving and causing depredation issues then issue the tags as needed. These actions just seem impulsive and premature.

If you drew this tag PLEASE don't shoot a mule deer doe. Do the herd a great big favor and shoot a whitetail.

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
I'd bet at least 30 per cent of hunters are unable to distinguish  a mule doe from a wt doe in the field when a shot opportunity arises

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »
Lets not forget about the non stop pressure from now until the end of November, brilliant......just brilliant! :bash:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Team Baze

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 08:26:57 PM »
I'm just curious how many of these people that are complaining have applied and have been drawn and filled cow tags?  I know I'll be taking my son in November to fill his doe tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal