collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: $1500.00 for a new setup, what would you get?  (Read 9566 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: $1500.00 for a new setup, what would you get?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 12:08:19 AM »
I had thought about mentioning the lightweight hunter.  But then I remembered even the long action models have a 20" barrel.  Would be pretty wicked in 308 though!  If they offered it in stainless we would probably have two of them here in the RadSav house!  Although the same could be said for the Micro Medallion or the Model 70 FW compact.

Stainless would be cool....I love the model 14/114 in stainless / wood.  They are not as light as the lightweight, but they are very pretty and fantastic shooters.  Best of both worlds....very rugged with a tough of class.   :tup:

I think they discontinued that rifle for whatever reason!  I agree that was one gorgeous gun!  Much the same weight or a little more than my Finnbears, but a dang classy product none-the-less.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 12:58:30 AM »
If you want a VX3 I'd get a 3.5-10x max for optics. Why? Because most of my shots on game are at 5 or 6x anyways and the extra power is only for the range, not for hunting. That and having looked through many of those and several 4.5-14s, for some reason I've never liked the 4.5-14 in comparison. Even on the same power setting they looked darker to me. Don't know why. You could get the new VX2 3-9x40, which is similar to the VX III from a few years back and better than the older Vari X III and save another $200.

That leaves $1000-1200 for the rifle. I have heard of many instances of Kimbers needing work to get them to shoot. I don't want to spend over $1k on a rifle and then have to figure out what it takes to make it accurate. But that's just what I've heard and not personal experience.

I have plenty of experience with 700s, most of which shoot well. I have never (ever) seen a 700 in 270 that wasn't sub MOA with me shooting it. Did briefly have a 7RM that was 1.5 on average and sent it down the road pretty fast. If you get some deals you could get a 700 and a McMillan stock of your choice with Edge fill and be fairly light already. Or I've had great experience with Brownings and I wouldn't mind getting another sometime. Or look to Winchester's Extreme Weather rifle. For me and that budget, that's what I'd look at.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:03:48 AM by Taco270 »

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 01:34:49 AM »
Good point on the scope to save money.  I'm not sure I can tell a difference in quality between my VX-3 and VX-2's.  And I think my Zeiss Conquest is even brighter yet at a really slammin deal!  100% agree on the 3-10 power.  I have a couple of each and I don't recall ever using anything above 12 power after leaving the range.  Most of my bear are taken with 4-6 power settings.  Out to 300 yards I don't think I ever move the scope off of 4X unless trying to tag bobcats in the head.

Does the 4.5-14 have a longer tube?  Thinking it does which would be why the 3-10 is brighter.  I'll need to break into the safe in a few minutes and measure them both. 

That extra $200 would really open up some serious doors of selection.  Too bad that Model 70 Extreme Weather is so heavy for a composite stock/fluted barrel gun.  I've yet to handle one that wasn't dang near perfect in action smoothness and detail.  And the new triggers are very nice!  Though even at $1,000 you might not find it in that budget.  If I were in the market for a factory '06 hunter that gun would sure be near the top of my list.  Probably right beside the Vanguard Back Country leaving me a near impossible decision :chuckle:

Offline Toptwo

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 07:14:11 AM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions...next question, where in western Washington is the best place to go look at/handle the most guns (at hopefully the best prices) Cabela's lacey?

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
talk to 92xj on here. He has a pretty sweet set up up for sale  :tup:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions...next question, where in western Washington is the best place to go look at/handle the most guns (at hopefully the best prices) Cabela's lacey?

Low Price Guns in Bellevue
Wades in Bellevue
Discount Guns Federal Way ( I guess they moved )

Davidsons Gallery of Guns ( Gun Genie ) has the best prices I can find, especially where I live. They'll deliver to the FFL dealer you choose when buying it.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
Ruger Guide and decent glass with QR mounts.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 10:14:29 AM »
I went with the Kimber Montana in 300wsm.  Leupold VX II 4-12   shoots lights out.  Love the gun.

I don't even know the gun is on my shoulder its so light.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »
I went with the Kimber Montana in 300wsm.  Leupold VX II 4-12   shoots lights out.  Love the gun.

I know when my Montana is against my shoulder...when I pull the trigger :yike: 

At the range my wife keeps backing up with every shot.  I asked if she wanted to shoot it, "After watching you...no flipping way!!"  This is the tough girl that shoots the 270WSM, 7mm RM and the 338WM without any worry.  In 325 it is not much fun at the range.  But somehow it doesn't kick, not even a little, when the bear have been in my sights :chuckle:  Love that gun!!!

I bought the Montana second hand from a member here on H-W.  Then bought the scope at a clearance sale when Wholesale sports was switching back to Sportsman's.  I think that got me right at that $1,500 mark.  I did do some work to it before it would shoot sub-MOA, but it was never a bad shooter by any means.  Now it shoots well under an inch.  Since picking it up I find I rarely take any of the other guns out of the safe when headed on a rifle hunt.

Offline Rich_S

• Scout
  • Retired Seattle Fire Captain - 1st. Paramedic
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
There's quite a few deer/elk/bear rifles in my safe, but when it's time to pack up the truck and head out, I always reach for the Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06. It wears a Leupold 3-9 Vari-X II and weighs in just under 9 lbs, empty with the scope. Importantly, for me, it carries 6 rounds in the magazine. I carry it with chamber empty - something tough to do on a magnum caliber which might only carry 3 rounds in the mag. It has a laminated stock (factory) which is tougher than Sgt. Emery.  :rolleyes:

Rich

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »

I know when my Montana is against my shoulder...when I pull the trigger :yike: 

At the range my wife keeps backing up with every shot.  I asked if she wanted to shoot it, "After watching you...no flipping way!!"  This is the tough girl that shoots the 270WSM, 7mm RM and the 338WM without any worry.  In 325 it is not much fun at the range.  But somehow it doesn't kick, not even a little, when the bear have been in my sights :chuckle:  Love that gun!!!

I bought the Montana second hand from a member here on H-W.  Then bought the scope at a clearance sale when Wholesale sports was switching back to Sportsman's.  I think that got me right at that $1,500 mark.  I did do some work to it before it would shoot sub-MOA, but it was never a bad shooter by any means.  Now it shoots well under an inch.  Since picking it up I find I rarely take any of the other guns out of the safe when headed on a rifle hunt.

I got mine second hand as well.  It came with a trigger job and a break.  I can imagine it would pack a punch without the break on it.

Scope, Rifle, dies, and 4 boxes of ammo for $1200.  I just couldn't pass it up,

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=447358067

You can change the barrel/caliber on this (anything long action)with an Allen wrench. Returns to zero every time.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
$1500 to spend?
Out of state license and tags! that would fix you up nice!
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »
Yep 325 wsm in an X-bolt is sweet. But it does kick pretty good.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
Yep 325 wsm in an X-bolt is sweet. But it does kick pretty good.

I shoot an A-bolt II in 325wsm with a Leupold vxIII 2.5-8x36 and it kicks pretty good but has more of a shove rather then the really snappy recoil that an 06 has which just annoys me like someone yanking nose or mustache hair out without warning. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]