collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth Hunts (2014)  (Read 2542 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Youth Hunts (2014)
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
 How about a thread for all the kids hunts this season, post up your pics and stories.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
Re: Youth Hunts (2014)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:10:58 PM »
Spotted two legal bucks on Monday relaxed in a small draw out of sight from the road.  I told my daughter, 13, about the bucks and that one was small but unique and the other was also small but a 3x2 with eye guards, she said "let go Dad!"  Tuesday at dawn we had just got into position and within seconds of starting to glass I spotted four guys dressed in orange only 100 yards from where I had spotted the bucks the day before.  Shots rang out, I saw both buck moving away about 200 yards to our left.  The 3X2 went down and the unique buck went out of sight.  I don't think they knew it was a legal buck.  I figured the unique buck would go over the ridge and into one of several drainage's...an hour later I spotted him bedded 800 yards away.  After an hour long stalk and some tense moments she squeezed off a round double lunging the buck.  DRT.  Her first Washington buck, she has a muley buck and goat from Wyoming.  We had a great time together and she was a big help boning the deer out.

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »
Day two, 10 year old son, first time hunting big game.  He started the season two for two on yearling blues...he was quite proud of his shooting abilities, so was I.  After several two points within range we spotted a legal buck 1000 yards up a canyon.  We put a plan together and made our move.  An hour or so later we were in position about 100 yards from the lone feeding buck.  A few last words to my son about marksmanship and he started burning powder...some more powder...dead deer :o.  We have a few things to work on...  He was ecstatic to say the least and is hooked.

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »
HCH kids way to go, nice bucks you have. One of my coolest bucks was a 4x2 blackmail that's tiny. IMHO the little ones with chacter are really cool.

Great job dad getting the next generation hunting, good shooting kids!  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10