collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: If you had to buy a bow...  (Read 21727 times)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: If you had to buy a bow...
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
Who do you think is the local president of the Hoyt Fan club.....helllllloooo.....Mr. RadSav presiding!

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
I actually have thought about shooting one of the new Hoyt bows this year.  Figure their improvements do warrant some reward.  They did increase speed, vastly improved riser design and look to be increasing their fit and finish.  All things I have been hard on them in the past.  But, they still have the horrible grip, they went back to the heavy bow weight and the prices are still insane!!!  In the end I figure I'll let the minions reward them for the nice improvements and I'll keep shooting my Bear and Bowtechs.  If they improve the fit and finish of the carbon bows...well, maybe that changes next year!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »
There are several members from our archery club that have the newest bow and love shooting them. SEVERAL have still kept thier Mathews switchback. One member has 2 along with his latestest and greatest.

Its what i shoot. I got one because several of the hunters/shooters from SilverArrow Bowmen have said that they think it was the best(or darn near) combination of speed, shootability, and a cam that doesnt eat strings and cables like so many of the "faster" bows now....

It MAY be possible that the new mathews camless bow wont eat the cables and string and still keep awesome speed.  If your a RH shooter you can likely find a switchback for $350-$500. I found a used one for my brotherinlaw that had arrows broadheads and card case for $450... It was a smoking deal and i picked it up within 3 hrs of being posted.   There are lots of great bows, but a switchback is the only model i have heard or several people holding on to.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »
Switchback in my opinion is the best bow Mathews has produced under the Mathews name.  I would not consider that limb a bullet proof limb, however.  It is about the only weak point in that bow design, but it is a weak point if you are looking for a tough as nails long relationship bow.  Of course like so many bows out there you can take the factory grip and throw it in the trash with out any guilt ;)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »
Vector 32? Vector 35? Vector Turbo? What are the pros and cons of longer/ shorter ATA length? 

As for the Ultra 2, my wife wouldn't let me out of the house with that chick magnet. The vector is downright ugly! I could take it out whenever I wanted to without any concern of being trampled by bow groupies.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »
Vector 32? Vector 35? Vector Turbo? What are the pros and cons of longer/ shorter ATA length? 

Well the Turbo is about getting average bow speed out of a Hoyt at the expense of stability and shootability :chuckle:  Or if you are height challenged like so many Hoyt groupies :yike:

The 32 and 35 are very much a personal fit decision.  The 32" is maneuverable through brush and quite nice if you want to shoot steep downhill shots from a sitting position as you would in a treestand.  I find the short length is also nice if you hunt from a smaller ground blind as you don't have to worry so much about hitting the ceiling.  The 35" cuts down on extreme string angle when your draw length is longer, it is a slightly more stable platform not so temperamental to heal and throat pressure.  Many feel it is an easier bow to shoot consistently with.  And for me I think the slightly longer bow carries nicer and balances nicer when a quiver is attached.  Generally speaking the shorter the bow the larger the cam and the larger the cam the larger the force draw curve.  Allowing equivalent speed with a less radical draw cycle or a slight speed advantage with the same draw cycle. 

With modern parallel limb designs the differences with 30 and 35" A2A lengths don't add up to much difference as far as stability against torque.  Pretty much a 7" brace height 30" bow will be as torque free as a 7" brace height 35" bow.  Comes down to draw length and the preference of the shooter and not much else.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »
I agree with rad on the switchback great bow, but of 3 guys I know that have put significant use in them, all have replaced limbs. Not that it's a bad thing in and of itself, if original purchaser they covered them, if not it wasn't terribly expensive. But it can be an inconvenience, if the middle of season, or drawing back on a critter.

So many option. But if I were looking for bargain, long haul bow. Used would be my go to. Personally I would stick with one of the bigger companies due to parts/accessories compatibility. The ultra tech - alphamax years in hoyts IMO are very nearly indestructible. But u pay a weight penalty and performance is not as sexy as other bows. The wonderful switch back from Mathews is another bow that will endure alot of punishment and they shoot so sweet. I have never been a big bowtech fan but the Admiral and General were absolutely amazing shooters for me. And seemed to be pretty durable compared.to some of their counterparts. The velvet finish they had was nifty as well. Don't know why they quit using it.

It seems many of the companies listened to their customers, and got tired of elite stealing them and put the shootability and durability in front of super lightweight and speed. At least this year's crop of bows seems to point that way. IMO. So if your wanting to plunge and go all out new I think alot of this years options would suit you well for many years of trouble free shooting.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
pretty much any hoyt is what your looking for.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »

Repeat after me...Hoyt is the almighty!  Hoyt is the answer!  Hoyt is the almighty!  Hoyt is all you will ever need! Hoyt is the Almighty!

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »

:chuckle:  :chuckle:
Repeat after me...Hoyt is the almighty!  Hoyt is the answer!  Hoyt is the almighty!  Hoyt is all you will ever need! Hoyt is the Almighty!

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
Shoot a couple of Hoyt and Mathews bows.  Easiest to find locally and make your pick from there.  I still shoot a 8 year old Mathews Switchback XT.  It shoots too good to change although the new Hoyts have me thinking.

Offline BAR C3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »
Switchback in my opinion is the best bow Mathews has produced under the Mathews name.  I would not consider that limb a bullet proof limb, however.  It is about the only weak point in that bow design, but it is a weak point if you are looking for a tough as nails long relationship bow.  Of course like so many bows out there you can take the factory grip and throw it in the trash with out any guilt ;)
:yeah:
I still have my Switchback. I have shot every Mathews and Hoyt since I bought my bow. The only bow and nicest bow I've ever shot is the original Mathews Z7. I couldn't find a flaw with it! But Not nice enough to replace my Switchback! 

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 09:10:49 PM »
I have a 2012 Obsession Addiction and that thing is flat smooth and quiet to shoot.
Im going to check out whats coming for 2015 and get another one.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »
Dont get me wrong there are many great new bow out there... Many here have already echoed what i said and your original statements said you didn't need the newest and greatest just  a solid milestone of a bow.  I personally think its a switchback.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline elk247

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »
This is the first pro Mathews thread I've read on here.  :yike:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab