collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is this Bear baiting?  (Read 24574 times)

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Is this Bear baiting?
« on: September 09, 2007, 03:19:27 PM »
 I want to try a honey burn, problem is I can't find the true deffination of baiting. From what I've read you just heat up you pot or pan and slowly add honey or bacon every 15 minutes or so.

What do you think? Anyone have any experiance doing this?

Matt

Offline Otto1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Is this Bear baiting?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »
I've done honey burns/molasses prior to I-655, Have not done one since... ask our own mr. "wdfwsux" as he seems to be an expert on the legality of the baiting issues in this state.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 04:33:31 PM »
I have wondered the same. The regs don't say and it seems it could be left to interpretation. That would worry me.

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »
This is the way I have seen it written.

"Baiting" is the practice of placing bait, either food or

scent, to attract wild game to a particular hunting location.

I would think that a honey burn would be illigal.

Dave

When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »
I would consider that bear baiting. I am not the law though.

Offline Jerbear

• Sourdough
  • Y.A.R. MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 08:50:08 PM »
I ask a WSFW officer about using anise oil. I was told no, as that is considered baiting.  Just an anti-hunting law that that was voted in by an uniformed voting public.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 10:22:54 PM »
I asked a game warden 2 year's ago about this and he said it would be illegal.

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 06:09:08 AM »
Thanks guys,

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Offline flashover52

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 07:19:31 AM »
So does that mean using other commercially brands of cover scent/attractant is illegal too?

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 10:37:14 AM »
So does that mean using other commercially brands of cover scent/attractant is illegal too?

I say illegal to any attractant, just because you can buy if does not make it legal to use in some states. Some stores carry items that can be used in neighboring states, or in our case Canada. It is not illegal to sell them, just illegal to use them in WA for bears. I do not think cover sents would be but you never know.

Is there any one that can find the WA law to see how it is specifically worded? I looked for it and could not find it.

Dave
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 10:43:32 AM »
RCW 77.15.245

(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of RCW 77.12.240, 77.36.020, 77.36.030, or any other provisions of law, it is unlawful to take, hunt, or attract black bear with the aid of bait.

(d) As used in this subsection, "bait" means a substance placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attracting black bears to an area where one or more persons hunt or intend to hunt them.

Offline MasterTracker

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 04:08:01 PM »
Yes it is illegal and here are the law's of black bear baiting in section (d)

(website) http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.245
baiting-section (d)

RCW 77.15.245
Unlawful practices — Black bear baiting — Exceptions — Illegal hunting — Use of dogs — Exceptions — Penalties. 

(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of RCW 77.12.240, 77.36.020, 77.36.030, or any other provisions of law, it is unlawful to take, hunt, or attract black bear with the aid of bait.

(a) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the killing of black bear with the aid of bait by employees or agents of county, state, or federal agencies while acting in their official capacities for the purpose of protecting livestock, domestic animals, private property, or the public safety.

(b) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prevent the establishment and operation of feeding stations for black bear in order to prevent damage to commercial timberland.

(c) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the director from issuing a permit or memorandum of understanding to a public agency, university, or scientific or educational institution for the use of bait to attract black bear for scientific purposes.

(d) As used in this subsection, "bait" means a substance placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attracting black bears to an area where one or more persons hunt or intend to hunt them.

(2) Notwithstanding RCW 77.12.240, 77.36.020, 77.36.030, or any other provisions of law, it is unlawful to hunt or pursue black bear, cougar, bobcat, or lynx with the aid of a dog or dogs.

(a) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the killing of black bear, cougar, bobcat, or lynx with the aid of a dog or dogs by employees or agents of county, state, or federal agencies while acting in their official capacities for the purpose of protecting livestock, domestic animals, private property, or the public safety. A dog or dogs may be used by the owner or tenant of real property consistent with a permit issued and conditioned by the director.

(b) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the director from issuing a permit or memorandum of understanding to a public agency, university, or scientific or educational institution for the use of a dog or dogs for the pursuit, capture and relocation, of black bear, cougar, bobcat, or lynx for scientific purposes.

(c) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the director from issuing a permit or memorandum of understanding to a public agency, university, or scientific or educational institution for the use of a dog or dogs for the killing of black bear, cougar, or bobcat, for the protection of a state and/or federally listed threatened or endangered species.

(3)(a) Notwithstanding subsection (2) of this section, the commission shall authorize the use of dogs only in selected areas within a game management unit to address a public safety need presented by one or more cougar. This authority may only be exercised after the commission has determined that no other practical alternative to the use of dogs exists, and after the commission has adopted rules describing the conditions in which dogs may be used. Conditions that may warrant the use of dogs within a game management unit include, but are not limited to, confirmed cougar/human safety incidents, confirmed cougar/livestock and cougar/pet depredations, and the number of cougar capture attempts and relocations.

(b) The department shall post on their internet web site the known details of all reported cougar/human, cougar/pet, or cougar/livestock interactions within ten days of receiving the report. The posted material must include, but is not limited to, the location and time of all reported sightings, and the known details of any cougar/livestock incidents.

(4) A person who violates subsection (1) or (2) of this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. In addition to appropriate criminal penalties, the department shall revoke the hunting license of a person who violates subsection (1) or (2) of this section and order the suspension of wildlife hunting privileges for a period of five years following the revocation. Following a subsequent violation of subsection (1) or (2) of this section by the same person, a hunting license shall not be issued to the person at any time.

[2005 c 107 § 1; 2001 c 253 § 31. Prior: 2000 c 248 § 1; 2000 c 107 § 260; 1997 c 1 § 1 (Initiative Measure No. 655, approved November 5, 1996). Formerly RCW 77.16.360.]

Notes:
     Effective date -- 2000 c 248: "This act is necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, or safety, or support of the state government and its existing public institutions, and takes effect immediately [March 31, 2000]." [2000 c 248 § 2.]

Severability -- 1997 c 1 (Initiative Measure No. 655): "If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1997 c 1 § 2 (Initiative Measure No. 655, approved November 5, 1996).]

Offline nwhoundhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 06:18:32 PM »
I'd just get in my hunting clothes and cook some bacon and eggs and accidentally spill all over me and go bear hunting.  ;) :)

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 11:17:36 PM »
I'd just get in my hunting clothes and cook some bacon and eggs and accidentally spill all over me and go bear hunting.  ;) :)

LMAO

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 03:24:51 PM »
So, along the same topic....if you kill an animal (elk, deer, etc) and watch the gut pile, bear comes to eat it and you take the bear, is that baiting? A bit hazy on this topic....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]