collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Michigan U.P. Deer hunting advice needed.  (Read 2421 times)

Offline 334OKH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: SCI,RMEF,NRA
Michigan U.P. Deer hunting advice needed.
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »
Good morning all. I am planning a hunt for next year to Michigan's U.P. I have an elderly friend who lives near Menominee. I'd like to go visit and do some day hunts somewhere near there. Because of very poor health, he is not able to hunt and hasn't in many years. Therefore he is out of the loop for info there anymore. I get e-mails from the Michigan DNR and am now trying to find some help in pointing the way once I get there. Thank you.

Offline jjaba

• Scout
Re: Michigan U.P. Deer hunting advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:37:56 AM »
I hunted up ther a few times. if there is snow and more then likely there will be (had our first snow on October 11). find the tracks and try to rattle them in.  I've used rattling bags and grunt tubes.  They seem to work up there well even if weather isn't the best. Also used doe urine, I put in a baby pet bottle and dripped it as I walked to my stand.  Had a nice buck walk the same path I did only took about 45 minutes after I sat down. But also remember a lot of people up there bait and you can grab bags of bait from just about any gas station.  Last time I was up ther had the luck of hunting on a pumpkin farm.  Ask farmers especially if they grow pumpkins some will let you hunt and might even have a depravation(sp) tag to help with not worring about head gear or not. Good luck.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. -Albert Pike

Offline jgoetz

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 06:36:03 AM »
My parents have a place in Phelps, WI.  Grew up deer hunting around there.  Still hunting is really the name to the game in that area.  Can be as simple as sitting on a bucket up against a tree.  It has been about 8 years since I hunted back that way so I have no idea what the deer numbers are looking like in the Menominee Area.  As far as the Eagle River area the numbers are way down and they are talking about cutting the number of permits in half due to the likelihood of two back to back harsh winters.  I know the numbers are way down and the wolf population is creeping up.  Which in turn is creeping the deer numbers down.  Friendly people in that area for the most part.  If you can find some private land you should at least be able to see a few furry ones.  Best of luck.

Offline 334OKH

• Hunter
  • Groups: SCI,RMEF,NRA
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
Thank you both for the advice. Anything else you hear, please send it my way. I'm really going to see a friend but, if a season is there, I wouldn't mind trying as they haven't had venison in many years and were both very avid hunters. I also heard that Michigan was holding off this years Wolf season.......we know how that will go won't we!   Thanks again and keep the info coming.

Offline hoyt5199

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »
I am from Michigan and just moved here to lacrosse Wisconsin from Washington. I can tell you that the numbers in the UP are down but there are still deer to be had. My Buddy posted a few picts of the buck poles today from Indian river and Grayling area because today was the opener for gun and a lot of bucks taken. If it was me Id be hunting the lower part of Michigan on some farm land. The sales of licenses are down this yr because of cost increase so that may help for next year. Lots of big bucks here around in Wisconsin :yeah: If you need anymore info just PM me. The best bet is to get online and look for public land hunting and start hiking to find good deer sign. Whitetail are pretty predictable sometimes. Good luck.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]