collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2015 ElkNut Chuckler Bugle!  (Read 20822 times)

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2015 ElkNut Chuckler Bugle!
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
They are made by blow mold then I buy them and modify them.

I've had a bugle tube designed and specd out for over 2 years but can't afford to go into production here in the states. The cost is $2k vs $28k

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 09:01:33 PM »
  p.s. nearly all baseball type bats used for bugles are made overseas. I don't know anyone that is the exception. Companies here in the states sell bugles yes, but they are purchased overseas first!
  ElkNut1

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but Phelps Game Calls' bugle tubes are 100% made and manufactured in the U.S.A. by a family owned business.  They even go as far as sourcing the plastic here in the U.S.A.  The lanyards are manufactured in the states, covers are cut in our shop, logos printed by a family friend and sewn by my Grandma  :tup:

Paul, I know U.S.A. manufacturers can build and inject any tube design...It's just the higher cost for tooling that sends people overseas (my tube design is 14 times more expensive here in the states).  I've wanted to go to production but I guess I'm just too proud to have it built overseas.

Still wet behind the ears when it comes to making calls lol. 

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2015, 07:05:02 AM »
Thanks Jason! Actually the costs differences aren't that exaggerated but enough of a difference where most of us would have to make a reasonable financial decision. When we talked on the phone a few weeks back I had mentioned to you the hurdles we were jumping through to get this bugle in production, it's not easy & takes money. You had mentioned that the money aspect is what is holding you back, well it's what holds us all of us back! (grin)

I was in a boat similar to your situation where we too had our business all in the family for many years but things have grown where it's just not doable to do things by hand any longer. Yes we sewed all our own camo sleeves & did all our own modifying but you can only do so much to meet supply in demand, it's finally caught up with us. This is a good thing. (grin)

I checked into 6 different companies here in the US & not one could provide us a one piece bugle. That's great if you've found one but we could not. In the US the most reasonable mold & bugles produced was near 25,000. Simply put I do not have 25,000 to toss that way. The company in WA is doing it for just under 1/2 that for the same amount of bugles including the mold.

If you continue to grow as you hope to do you too will one day be faced with this decision. With a family & tough competitive times you will find spending 12,000 instead of 25,000  for the same product will weigh heavily on your decision making. I hope you have to experience this someday, it would mean you are doing well. Good luck!

ElkNut1

Online xXLojackXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2015, 08:55:04 AM »
I strongly believe that anything made in America is worth paying more for (unless it's European optics  :chuckle:). Phelps you're doing the right thing and not going overseas. If two products are close in performance, I'll pick the one with a "Made in America" sticker every time.

Elknut, your tube design is interesting. Post a video to let us here the difference.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »
Paul,

I don't make it a habit of getting involved in internet debates and I wasn't going to until a generalization was made about "all plastic bats are made overseas".  I made a clarification so that people had the correct information about my products.  You then asked me some more questions about the production of my tube and I answered.

I also don't make it a habit of speculating how well another company is doing without ever seeing the numbers, especially not in a belittling way.  You want to talk about being too busy?  Remember that I not only make bugle tubes, I also...hand press every single diaphragm leaving the shop, turn and tune each EZEstrus tone board, turn and finish all my barrels, take custom EZEstrus band orders, do all of the graphics layup and do a pretty damn good job at making sure my customers get the best service I can provide.  Maybe I'm a bad business man but I've been at the point of making big decisions but I have CHOSEN to continue the way I'm going.

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 03:09:06 PM »
Jason, sorry you took this the wrong way, I am not belittling you in any way. I was simply stating that as your business grows you will see the need to expand & will no longer have time to build or modify your bugles yourself. I meant no offense. I was being serious as a heart attack about it. I wish you the best. Now lets move forward here.

I'll keep all updated & get that video out as soon as I receive the actual prototype. Thanks.

ElkNut1

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
  • Groups: rmef,wwa,nra, & du
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 03:20:42 PM »
You get a time line as to when you might to put your hands on your prototype? 

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2015, 04:29:32 PM »
I'm supposed to have one anytime now! The mold is done "sorta"-- if you look at the photo you will notice that the mold maker built the 5/8" slot all along the bugle. It wasn't supposed to be like that! They made a mistake there but said they would send me one right away to check it out to see if I'd OK it. If not they would make a new one in a week? It's always something! (grin) Once mold is made bugles can be had rather quickly! I'm looking for the 1st batch here in April, thanks for asking!

ElkNut1

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
  • Groups: rmef,wwa,nra, & du
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 08:55:31 PM »
What's the latest hopefully greatest news update

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]