collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2015 Moose tags  (Read 28854 times)

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: 2015 Moose tags
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 10:06:42 PM »
 :yeah:

Moose success in Washington has stayed around 95%.

That crushes success rates on other big game, including premium draws, and tells me that there are plenty to hunt.

Go WDFW........   Pick me!!!!!!!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »

That crushes success rates on other big game, including premium draws, and tells me that there are plenty to hunt.

Its because they're very visible and easy to kill.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 10:34:10 PM »

Its because they're very visible and easy to kill.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

No argument here.

But if WDFW gives more tags AND success rates stay in the 90%, I say increase tags.

If success drops to 50% this year, they can always do an emergency closure........   

I do wish we were smart enough to keep the wolves out.     They hunt year round, with no emergency closures.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
2015 Moose tags
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2015, 05:43:17 AM »
For me, it's not about high success rates. It's about killing too many. Between the moose the hunters kill and the wolves kill,, and the moose that get killed by the massive mountain lion population....it'll be too many. It's not about this year. It's about maintaining quality hunting 5 years from now and 10 years from now.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 05:44:54 AM »
What about when you draw in 2035?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 07:25:43 AM »
I think it's awesome how many game biologists we have on here. The state cuts tags you whine, the state adds tags you whine. I tried to stay off this thread but couldn't. Sorry
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »
What about when you draw in 2035?

That's what I'm worried about.

I think it's awesome how many game biologists we have on here. The state cuts tags you whine, the state adds tags you whine. I tried to stay off this thread but couldn't. Sorry

You're a moose guy. Where do you land on this topic?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 07:37:32 AM »
20 more moose tags=40 less moose sheds

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
It appears to be a shed thing. :chuckle:

Honestly though I would like to hear what some of the "moose regulars think" also.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 07:44:03 AM »

Honestly though I would like to hear what some of the "moose regulars think" also.
I would also like to hear what the "moose regulars" think. And would be courious to know what the definition of a "moose regular" is.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 08:54:58 AM »

I would also like to hear what the "moose regulars" think. And would be courious to know what the definition of a "moose regular" is.

I consider you a moose regular, since a term was invented. What's your stance on increased tag #'s?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 08:56:22 AM »
I guess I'd call a moose regular someone who is in the know on the moose situation over in the NE. Not an armchair quarterback. I don't consider myself a moose regular at all. Just know what I read and hear through folks who are in the know more than me.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »

:'( sorry you couldn't help yourself   :chuckle:

I think it's indicative of a crowd that is concerned with management.  If we only were happy when tags increased regardless of circumstance, we'd be irresponsible   :dunno:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
There are plenty of moose to be had. Anyone who eats a tag either did not hunt hard enough or was waiting for a big bull. The only issue I have is they give way to many cow tags in a couple units but other than that I am glad to see more tags. Now we just need a few K-9 tags and all will be good.

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »
Jonathan is figured out how to erase my sign off saying.  Thanks for the prompting, I was tired of it to.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2015, 09:11:14 AM »
There are plenty of moose to be had. Anyone who eats a tag either did not hunt hard enough or was waiting for a big bull. The only issue I have is they give way to many cow tags in a couple units but other than that I am glad to see more tags. Now we just need a few K-9 tags and all will be good.

Do you think that shorter seasons and more hunters will equate to more smaller bulls killed? With less time to hunt and more hunters...will guys risk wasting their once in a lifetime tag by passing a lesser bull or will they kill a smaller bull quicker so someone else doesn't get him?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal