collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Baiting: A possible solution?  (Read 70750 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Baiting: A possible solution?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 10:00:44 AM »
I don't agree with any rule changes for baiting. But if I had to choose I'd say not visible from maintained road and  I'd be ok with 8 cu ft. Let's not make it complicated.  No need for set distance or even a set amount. Bale of hay or few sacks of grain
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
I don't agree with any rule changes for baiting. But if I had to choose I'd say not visible from maintained road and  I'd be ok with 8 cu ft. Let's not make it complicated.  No need for set distance or even a set amount. Bale of hay or few sacks of grain

I had advocated for the simplest of rules if we must have rules.

Quick Question: Would any of the rules in my first post unreasonably affect your baiting practices?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »
Is the assumption here that there will be new regulations on baiting and therefor, we must be proactive in helping to set guidelines/regulations?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
An assumption is that the Commission does not like the "No Change" option.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 10:24:05 AM »

Quick Question: Would any of the rules in my first post unreasonably affect your baiting practices?

Yes!  I hunt no public land but bait on private parcels that have no parts more than 1/4 mile from a road.  If this was for public land OK, but the way it is written there is no distiction between private and public.  This is a problem.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 11:03:52 AM »

no they would not effect me what so ever. But May effect some hunters that do not have private land to hunt or less mobility than me.  If there must be rules for baiting than I think they should be as simple as possible to understand and enforce and also the less restrictive as possible for disabled or senior hunters.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »

no they would not effect me what so ever. But May effect some hunters that do not have private land to hunt or less mobility than me.  If there must be rules for baiting than I think they should be as simple as possible to understand and enforce and also the less restrictive as possible for disabled or senior hunters.

Disabled & Elderly
I agree we want rules that do not inhibit special needs hunters while at the same time making baiting more acceptable to others. Please remember, the real opposition to baiting is from other hunters who don't like it.

So your biggest opposition is the distance from a public road?
How can we reword that to assist special needs hunters and still clean up the baiting issue so it's more acceptable?

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »
How about we leave private land baiting alone (I think quantity limitations are fine for both private and public).  Public land baiting could require a visible label somewhere with the baiter's contact info on it.  I think the distance restriction would have to be a lot less for public land, like 50-100 yards from a road. I don't think there needs to be any restriction pertaining to proximity to water, what is the point of that?  It's not like people are using oils or fats for baiting deer/elk.

:twocents:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
If you have a baiting situation that will not work under any of these rules please explain why and offer a reasonable solution?

I have four 1/2 acre properties that I can bait/hunt, they all run along a road and are all less than 200 yards deep.  One property I have hunted is eight acres and has the same description as it is long and skinny.  And, before I hear, those aren't big enough to hunt anyways, I have permission to recover animals from most adjoining properties.

Reasonable solution --> No restrictions besides amount on private land!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 11:42:57 AM »
The situations described by Loki are why I cannot get behind many rules, especially baiting. If Im on private land then it should be up to the owner. Rules get convoluted and hard to understand because  we make them that way.... I dont want to contribute the to  complication of our sport... THAT reduces recruitment, and THAT causes people to quit...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »

Disabled & Elderly
I agree we want rules that do not inhibit special needs hunters while at the same time making baiting more acceptable to others. Please remember, the real opposition to baiting is from other hunters who don't like it.

So your biggest opposition is the distance from a public road?
How can we reword that to assist special needs hunters and still clean up the baiting issue so it's more acceptable?
i think disabled should be exempt from the distance rule. The visibility part needs clairified as well. Bait not visible or site not visible?  Pretty easy to conceal bait from the road but to conceal a site would be tough 

Offline turkeyfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
Maybe the solution is limiting baiting to private lands? I have ran across old bait sites on public lands that were left quite a mess.
Not all of us have access or like to hunt private land.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline Brad Harshman

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
I attended the public meeting with WDFW today in Moses Lake.  Baiting was discussed and everyone who wanted to speak on the topic had to sign up and then was allowed 3 minutes.  It went very well.  Everyone was respectful and cordial.  Lots of good ideas were discussed too.  They were kicking around the 10 gallon limit for baiting but we're hanging up with enforceability. 
It wasn't until I left that I realized maybe we should be discussing bait food types versus volume issues.  Apples seemed to be the point of conflict.  They don't offer quality nutrition that the deer and elk need, especially late season. 
So why not focus our efforts baiting type regulations and not so much quantities.  Alfalfa hay and salt blocks, especially with selenium, would offer longer term benefits to elk and deer. 
What do you guys think of this?

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
I attended the public meeting with WDFW today in Moses Lake.  Baiting was discussed and everyone who wanted to speak on the topic had to sign up and then was allowed 3 minutes.  It went very well.  Everyone was respectful and cordial.  Lots of good ideas were discussed too.  They were kicking around the 10 gallon limit for baiting but we're hanging up with enforceability. 
It wasn't until I left that I realized maybe we should be discussing bait food types versus volume issues.  Apples seemed to be the point of conflict.  They don't offer quality nutrition that the deer and elk need, especially late season. 
So why not focus our efforts baiting type regulations and not so much quantities.  Alfalfa hay and salt blocks, especially with selenium, would offer longer term benefits to elk and deer. 
What do you guys think of this?

:yeah: is what I was thinking also.. Apples,molasses etc. is like crack cocaine for deer, rots their teeth out as well.

And any kind of nutritional baiting should be done post rut.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »

Yes!  I hunt no public land but bait on private parcels that have no parts more than 1/4 mile from a road.  If this was for public land OK, but the way it is written there is no distiction between private and public.  This is a problem.

- Be at least 1/4 mile from a public maintained roadway, if visible from that roadway

(just keep it out of sight, that's reasonable)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]