collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chapman lake Kokes Revised  (Read 30187 times)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Re: Chapman lake Kokes Revised
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »
Once maybe.   :chuckle:           Are you up to dragging the boat in?

E-10 I would like to thank you for taking the interest in this to try to get solution. 

3/4 mile, 65# canoe + gear.  Add a battery and trolling motor.  Sounds like a group effort.   :fishin:  would have to make a weekend of it.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2018, 02:45:08 PM »
Once maybe.   :chuckle:           Are you up to dragging the boat in?

E-10 I would like to thank you for taking the interest in this to try to get solution. 

3/4 mile, 65# canoe + gear.  Add a battery and trolling motor.  Sounds like a group effort.   :fishin:  would have to make a weekend of it.

For young guys dragging the canoe in is not a problem. But for the more senior types. I'm thinking numerous rest's stops along the trip.

In the RCO I see a WDFW official holding a sample of the kind of bass I remember fishing for.

I guess we could maybe take my smaller boat. But still gonna be a chore and I'm not sure you will fish out of it E-10.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2018, 05:28:03 PM »
I remember fish like these in the lake back in the late 70's and early 80's and appears they are still there.

Used to calf rope them. A Jitterbug just slow trolled alone the rocks in the early evening or after dark.

Perhaps the next state record is swimming in there.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
Fun to think of the potential of a lake that hasn't been fished for
Several years!!!!!
Excited to get on the water

Offline E-10

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NWFR
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:16 PM »
I bet these monsters are pulled up to the feeding trough when the WDFW truck pulls up with the 100,000 Koke fry each year.

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »
I bet these monsters are pulled up to the feeding trough when the WDFW truck pulls up with the 100,000 Koke fry each year.

Just like the Golden Corral on all you can eat senior's day. Just imagine them swimming up to the buffet with a walker. They might not even have many teeth left.

Offline E-10

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NWFR
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2018, 09:35:12 PM »
Quote from: E-10 on Today at 08:05:16 PM

Just like the Golden Corral on all you can eat senior's day. Just imagine them swimming up to the buffet with a walker. They might not even have many teeth left.

:chuckle:  :yeah:

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2018, 09:55:32 PM »
I remember fish like these in the lake back in the late 70's and early 80's and appears they are still there.

Used to calf rope them. A Jitterbug just slow trolled alone the rocks in the early evening or after dark.

Hula popper under a decent moon worked for us.  Love those topwater explosions at night!
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »
Perhaps a good sign, But with all the talk of loss of funding  :dunno:

Long-closed Chapman Lake, a popular trout, bass, kokanee fishing spot, may reopen
Thu., Dec. 19, 2019

By Eli Francovich
elif@spokesman.com
(509) 459-5508
Eight years after public access to a popular trout, bass and kokanee lake south of Cheney closed, wildlife managers are still striving to reopen it.
“We are not turning our back on Chapman Lake,” said Randall Osborne, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife district fisheries biologist. “They don’t make lakes anymore. This is a 120-acre lake that has a good fishery in it. And we have not exhausted all of our options yet.”
The newest effort could mean WDFW buys Washington Department of Natural Resources’ land along the lake. WDFW is asking for public input on the proposal, one of 18 projects statewide open to public comment through Jan. 3.
“This is an opportunity to comment on proposals in the early stages of our strategic thinking,” said Cynthia Wilkerson, WDFW lands division manager in a news release.
“Our goal is to protect land and water for people and wildlife throughout the state while preserving natural and cultural heritage.”
The Chapman Lake saga started in 2011 when owners of the former Chapman Lake Resort locked the gates on the only road access to the 128-acre lake. Starting in 2014, Osborne and the WDFW worked out an agreement with the resort owner: The agency would buy the land. In 2015, it received $474,000 from the Washington Recreation and Conservation office for the purchase.
In 2016, owner Gene Kaplan died. During the estate settling process “everything came to a screeching halt,” Osborne said.
Once the dust settled, the former resort land was no longer available to buy, so WDFW started talking to DNR.
Although the only drive-up public access was through the resort land, DNR owns more than 500 acres around the lake. The public can access the lake by foot through that property, but there is no road or boat put in.
WDFW has located a spot where a boat ramp and parking area could be built, but it’s no easy feat.
“It’s difficult because everything out there is pretty much basalt cliffs,” Osborne said. “And that’s what made the old place so attractive because it was ready made.”
WDFW is seeing if the money allocated by the RCO office in 2015 can still be used. If so, WDFW would buy a 22 1/2-acre parcel from DNR and build a parking lot and ramp using the RCO money. The agency hopes to buy or trade for the remaining DNR land.
The proposal is supported by the Spokane County Commissioners, the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club and the Spokane Fly Fishers. In 2014, when the original purchase was being considered, public comment showed overwhelming support with nearly 200 comments supporting the project. Only one comment was against the WDFW acquisition, Osborne said.
WDFW has continued to stock kokanee in the lake since 2011. This has puzzled some anglers who wonder why the state is spending money on a lake that does not have good public access.
“Ever since the resort closed, WDFW has had high hopes of restoring access,” Osborne said. “And because of that, we have remained stocking the lake with kokanee.”
Unlike other species, kokanee have a lag time of a year or two before they’re fishable, he said. Any gaps in the kokanee population can allow other fish to take hold. With each kokanee fry costing under 2 cents to stock, the benefit of continuing to stock outweighs any costs.
WDFW stopped stocking trout, which don’t have the same development lag as kokanee, after the owner locked the gate.
“We want to make sure this fishery is in place,” Osborne said. “Optimistically saying when public access gets restored.”
For Charles Layton, 75, that can’t happen soon enough. Layton, who lives in Spangle, first started fishing Chapman Lake in 1948 with his grandparents.
“Now, I’d like to take my grandkids down there,” he said. “But it’s closed.”

https://www.swxrightnow.com/stories/2019/dec/19/long-closed-chapman-lake-a-popular-trout-bass-koka/

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »
I resurfaced this phoenix so folks can understand how long this has been an issue.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2019, 12:23:46 PM »
Maybe with the new gas tax pay by mile plan the flood gates will open.

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2019, 12:46:07 PM »
i work with a lady that actually rented a cabin/shack from the former owner and lived there.  no running water and not even sure if it had electricity.  after the death of the owner, she had permission to keep accessing the cabin. until recently it got shut down. she went out there this summer with her kayak and talked to the "new owner"  story apparently goes, there are a couple children in the estate, all the children want to donate/sell to wdfw so they can allow access. However, ole greedy california child says no, and has created a family feud.  instead she is there tearing down the buildings to sell the "antique, weathered" wood.  and although she doesnt live here nor care or understand the history of the lake, she wants more money for it. so here we stand with it basically landlocked.  call it what you want "there is public access" this lake is good as landlocked.

Offline Fishmaker57

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, CCA
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »

Fun using an electro shocker boat at night for bass.....always turn a few huge ones!

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2019, 09:31:00 PM »

Fun using an electro shocker boat at night for bass.....always turn a few huge ones!

Fishmaker57 do you know the person in the photo?

Offline Fishmaker57

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, CCA
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2019, 06:54:22 AM »
Nope, just been in shocker boats enough to recognize the setup.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Blackhorn 209? by Karl Blanchard
[Today at 07:38:00 PM]

Manson Sheep by Hitsman3
[Today at 06:37:47 PM]

Huckleberry early bull moose by bigbull gag
[Today at 06:05:43 PM]

Chiwawa Quality rifle tag by bvail04
[Today at 05:50:56 PM]

Chiwawa Deer! by bvail04
[Today at 05:18:59 PM]