collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 pt. restriction 117/121  (Read 73715 times)

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
Re: 4 pt. restriction 117/121
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
Wasn't there a point where it was any whitetail buck was to help the mule deer herd from the more aggressive more territorial whitetail.  To slow the whitetails movement west.  I may be mistaken.

Offline johnaferrera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: rmef, mdf
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »
       Hope they change it back. Did not really like the point restrictions. It was really tuff counting points in the thick brush when rattling. should of maybe been a three point restriction.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
Wasn't there a point where it was any whitetail buck was to help the mule deer herd from the more aggressive more territorial whitetail.  To slow the whitetails movement west.  I may be mistaken.

I feed about 25 mule deer and 30 whitetail every winter and spring two times a day.. The mule deer are the aggressive ones.. Even yearling mulies chase mature whitetail bucks away from the food. Have never seen a whitetail show aggression towards a mulie without getting put in it's place.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 07:57:54 PM »
I hope they were able to get a good data set over the last few years it was in effect.  Have something to point to for or against if they want to try APRs elsewhere.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 07:47:40 AM »
To bad the youth only option wasn't on the table.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »
Dang I wish they would leave it 4 pt min.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »

I feed about 25 mule deer and 30 whitetail every winter and spring two times a day.. The mule deer are the aggressive ones.. Even yearling mulies chase mature whitetail bucks away from the food. Have never seen a whitetail show aggression towards a mulie without getting put in it's place.

:yeah:  whitetail aren't aggressive, they are just better at proliferating than are mule deer.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »
To bad the youth only option wasn't on the table.

The commission has the authority to go with the youth option if they choose. I'm curious how it will end up.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »

:yeah:  whitetail aren't aggressive, they are just better at proliferating than are mule deer.

11 of the mulie does had 20 fawns last year. Of the 20 fawns only 5 have survived until now. I know of 2 that were hit by cars. The rest were killed by cougar and coyotes I believe. Maybe even a bear took some. Whitetail seem to have had a good crop also.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 11:16:07 PM »
I would like to see the youth and seniors go to any deer and stay 4point min for the rest of us. At least till 2019. I like the challenge my self
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2015, 02:20:51 AM »
 :tup: Good they need to manage and not set things then forget them. No more of this set a 2,3,4,pt minimum forget about it until people get angry and complain. They need it ok but manage the herd and go with what needs done don't just set something then sit back and rule around it. change it every few years that's good!
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »
Dang I wish they would leave it 4 pt min.
:yeah:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline muleyguy

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 10:01:08 PM »
kudos to the Department if they follow through........we will see how well they stand up to the special interest groups surrounding this issue.....to my knowledge, the WDFW has never undone any APR in this State once they have initiated it.

the reality of this rule is that it is not the APR restriction itself, that caused any rebound in the herd;  what the other side is not telling you is that hunter pressure dropped by 25% in unit 117 and 30% in unit 121 the immediate year after the rule was implemented, and despite what you are hearing on here, bounced around at those much lower levels the entire time the rule has been in effect;  in addition, you have had very mild winters since the rule was implemented.

where the outcry is going to happen, and, why it is very,very difficult to unwind these APR's is that with the rule, there effectively has been a "stockpile" of yearling bucks (and those with fewer then 4 pts) built into the population because this is the age group that is protected;

so, once you rescind the rule, you will see hunting pressure rise back up dramatically;  with the stockpile of immature bucks running around, and you will see hunter success rates go dramatically back up in short order.

in the short run, this is actually great for mature bucks, as most of the hunting pressure will now be put back where it belongs, on the younger, immature bucks.

That area is going to have to suffer probably some lower buck numbers here for several years down the road because of the outsized harvest that is going to happen here in the next few years. 

But, as time goes on, those ripple effects will go away, and those units can get back to how they used to be without all the skewing of the age class lower.

The reality is that almost all of the gains that have been achieved in those two units can be attributed to the dramatically lower hunter numbers, and not the APR;  so, the APR is really a blunt tool they used to reduce hunter pressure, while not reducing hunter opportunity (and thats the backstory to this whole thing);  but, at the end of the day, all of the age class skewing that comes from the APR's only does longer term harm. 

Next time, if we all decide a herd needs to be helped, lets just be straight up, and reduce the hunting pressure through a short term limited draw situation, or a short term shortening of the season, or in those units, if you just shut down the late season hunt for a few years it probably would have had the same effect.

But, lets not use poorly designed APR's that just cause all these other issues.....

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
Someone gets it :tup:
APR are only a tool to reduce harvest. 

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 10:18:26 PM »
Good to see a post by you again, muleyguy. It's been a while. You need to come around more often.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]