collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I need a good starter rifle  (Read 6681 times)

Offline Al Bundy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
I need a good starter rifle
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
I'm looking to start hunting this year and was wondering about some inexpensive but quality bolt action rifles to start out with. I don't want to drop a bunch of money on a top of the line model yet, but I don't want a junk one either.

Having looked around I have a few in mind. The Marlin XL7, Savage Stevens Model 200 or the Mossberg ATR. Most likely I'll get a .270 at first, possibly a .30-06 since you can hunt damn near anything with it.

Has anyone here used any of these? How's their accuracy? Can they take some abuse? Recoil? Should I be looking for something else?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: I need a good starter rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:39 PM »
The one article I recall reading about the Marlin XL7 had only good things to say, but other than that I don't know anything about it. I would get the Stevens (Savage.) It has a very good reputation for a lower priced rifle. Another one to look at would be the Weatherby Vanguard. They are usually available at Wal Mart for a very good price. I have one in 30-06 and am happy with it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
savage or stevens you won't go wrong...same thing pretty much except that the stevens won't have the accutrigger.
others to consider are weatherby vanguards or the howas for around $400 to start.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Slenk

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:55:03 PM »
I like the Stevens, under $300 at wal-mart.Same thing as the Savage without the accu-trigger.
.270 will do fine but you may find the 30-06 has more bullet selection if you reload.
Slenk

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
Savage/Stevens in either .308 or 06.  Much wider bullet choice in both factory and component bullets.  Ammo available at every mom and pop store on this continent.

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 09:15:21 PM »
Another  vote for the Stevens. not familiar with it, but only heard good things. that gun would run ya 300, add maybe 1 or 200 for a cheap scope such as a bushnell trophy or banner,or leupold rifleman,  add tax and you see how fast you can get to maybe $550 for even a cheap "New Gun" imagine what ya can get for a fine used gun at 500 (no tax). i would hold out. keep an eye out for a good deal, maybe a remington with a leupold scope for same price almost new, hardly used, there are a ton of super nice new guns on the market as it seems many hunters have a severe case of A.D.D.  and get bored fast wanting a new toy. That 30-06 would be a perfect caliber for you as it will take anything in this state with no problem. it can even shoot the hornady light mag rounds that will put you in 300 mag territory. i'd start with a 165 bullet.

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:43:44 PM »
Savage/Stevens in either .308 or 06.  Much wider bullet choice in both factory and component bullets.  Ammo available at every mom and pop store on this continent.
Your right on the money lunger! Both rounds are pretty close performance wise with the '06 having a little more recoil. Either of these rounds will take anything you will probably hunt for in this state. I hunt with a .308 and have no doubts.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »
Take a look at this.  May be something that you would be interested in seems like a pretty good deal.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,13347.15.html

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 08:39:02 AM »
savage or stevens you won't go wrong...same thing pretty much except that the stevens won't have the accutrigger.
others to consider are weatherby vanguards or the howas for around $400 to start.

+1....  get a 30/06 and you'll be set to hunt in anything in N. America.

Offline Charlie

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:44:03 AM »
I would second the 06 if you want one gun to use for a variety of hunting needs.
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »
 :yeah: :iamwithstupid: :yeah:

well AL the thread appears to be leaning towards the stevens and im not going to break the cycle.  i was looking for a good starter rifle for my wife for a birthday present last year and i looked all over the place and couldnt find a better deal than the stevens model 200.  we put a nikon 3-9x40 on it and it became a sweet little set up. i got hers in a cool caliber though. 7mm 08.  it would probably be best if you stuck with the normal rounds like 270. 30.06 or 308.  dunno how much you know so far but the 270 and the .06 are the same casing just different bullet diameter. 

order it from walmart. it will be there in a few days. when i get back to the states ill get one or two to build customized rifles out of.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »
Al Bundy I sent you a PM.

Offline snagglepants

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
Go with a Weatherby Vanguard...I LOVE Mine
"Guns aren't toys!  They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!" -Krusty the Clown

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »
Go with a Weatherby Vanguard...I LOVE Mine

ooo thats another good one. 500 bucks i think they were when i was at home last.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline snagglepants

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 02:54:29 PM »
last time I looked, they were going for 399
"Guns aren't toys!  They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!" -Krusty the Clown

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal