collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2015 Goat Application Mistake. New Permit Category for East Olympic Hunts  (Read 9305 times)

Offline EyeTooth

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
You probably won't have this problem, but, just to be sure, Be careful when purchasing your goat special permit application this year if you are going to apply for the new East Olympic Mountains A or B hunts.
These two hunts are in a new category by themselves (Conflict Reduction) that I didn’t notice because of the red text on a dark blue background in the 2015 regulations. I thought these 2 new hunts had just been consolidated from the 3 hunts that had been available last season, and that that is why they are indicated in red text for each of the hunts this year.
I just purchased my goat application on line this morning and also didn’t notice that these hunts were on their own, new goat application available for these hunts only, and that they are at the very bottom of the list of Big Game licenses and applications on the licensing website. (They aren’t anywhere near the regular goat application).
When I went to submit my application choice which was only going to be for these hunts this year I found that they weren’t on the list of goat hunt choices. I talked with a very nice person in the licensing office about why these hunts weren’t on the list of options and found out about my mistake from them.
Because it’s a new category, and because I was only going to put in for these hunts, my choices are to start with no points in this new category and/or just build points in the original goat category and wait for next year to try again. Luckily I only have 8 points, so am only out 8 years worth of application fees. They told me that the RCW doesn’t allow them to correct my mistake. They suggested I call my legislator, I guess to ask for help modifying the law? No thanks. It’s just a mistake on my part. The people in the licensing department at the WDFW are the best! I always appreciate their help. They’ve answered every question I’ve ever had expeditiously!
For about 40 years I’ve looked forward to these application seasons with great relish. This is the first time that I’ve missed a detail like this. Bummer. Guess I’ve been pretty lucky until now!?
Good luck to you and be careful!

Offline EyeTooth

• Hunter
I just noticed the "new goat unit" thread.
Please ignore this.
Thanks!

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
They are $6.60 for the app, but didn't see any kind of reduced price for the tag.  I assume the tag will be $330 like the other tags?  Assuming since the app fee is half the others.

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
You realize you can still apply in both categories correct?  All this does is give you more chances to draw a goat tag.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
You realize you can still apply in both categories correct?  All this does is give you more chances to draw a goat tag.
:yeah: go log in and buy the conflict reduction app amd apply.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
:yeah: go log in and buy the conflict reduction app amd apply.

:yeah:
It seems as though everyone will have 0 points if it's a new category, or do we start off with the same # of normal goat points?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline westside bull

• Scout
If you draw is it Once in a lifetime? And your done for goat?

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
  • Hunt Hard or Stay Home!!!
Only if you harvest a goat. Then you are done.

Offline EyeTooth

• Hunter
Thanks for your encouragement guys!
Thanks too jackelope for pointing out the other obvious oversight that I made, not catching that because it's a new sub-category that everyone starts with zero points when they buy this permit app. I just checked with licensing. They confirmed that our goat points won't work in this new category.
I can't allow myself to begin getting milked again based on another whim of the game department. More for you!!
Putting in for goat was fun while it lasted, and I still have moose and sheep points to play with!
Thanks again to all of you! Best of luck!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
You haven't lost all your goat points. Not sure why it sounds like you're throwing in the towel.

You can apply for both types of goat hunts. It's unclear to me why you say you're out 8 years of applying.
Luckily I only have 8 points, so am only out 8 years worth of application fees.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
If you harvest, you are done.  It will count as your oil goat.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
As posted previous, put in for both categories.

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg

This is so ridiculously stupid in my opinion.  If WDFW is going to encourage hunters to shoot nannies and create a new point category altogether - the harvested goat should not count as your OIL goat.  That'd be like having people who successfully draw and harvest a ewe sheep use up their OIL sheep. 

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/

This is so ridiculously stupid in my opinion.  If WDFW is going to encourage hunters to shoot nannies and create a new point category altogether - the harvested goat should not count as your OIL goat.  That'd be like having people who successfully draw and harvest a ewe sheep use up their OIL sheep. 

That's spot on.

I know that country pretty well and I still haven't decided if I will put in or not. If it didn't take my OIL points I would for sure, but I've seen tons of goats up there, but never one worth using my points on.

Offline EyeTooth

• Hunter
jackelope,
It's only because of my specific circumstances. Last year these hunts were included in the hunt choices along with all of the other goat permit hunts. I put in for one of them last year and my points counted. There were three of these Olympic Mountain hunts last year in two hunt areas, with 2 permits offered for each hunt. This year those hunts have been consolidated into 2 hunts in 1 hunt area, with 3 permits each, (the same overall hunt area with the same number of permits), but now, unlike last year our goat points aren't good for them. This year I had decided to only put in for these Olympic Mountain hunts, so I was surprised to find that the rules have changed, especially in the way that they have, and the way that I found out was a bit of a bummer.
This change may be good for some people, and I hope that it is. It just doesn't work for me for a couple of personal reasons.
Once again the game department has changed the rules, which adversely affects some of us because they need more money. For me, this just happens to be the change that has convinced me to stop giving them money for goats.
WDFW needs more money and they have to do what they have to do. I'm OK with that!
Thanks again, and good luck to everyone who applies, and to the WDFW as well!   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]